Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Aug 2007 (Tuesday) 12:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Croping Photo adding Boarder or frame

jlg759
148 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 28, 2007 12:06 |  #1

This might be a dumb question but I need some help. I have a photo of a race car I took and on the left side i caught a bystanders arm on right a cone. ( this was at the drag races ). If I crop using Photoshop CS2 I can geta great shot only problem is it will not fit as an 8x10. If I use the crop tool in CS2 and do an 8x10 using the preset i get some of the offending arm in the photo. I thought if i could use the photo as is and add a boarder to cover the ofending parts I could fit just want i want in the frame. Does this sound possible or is there a better way thanks

sponsored links
canonpink
615 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 28, 2007 12:11 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Yes, crop exactly how you want, reduce the pic using the same aspect ratio in "image size" in PS by reducing the longest size below 10 (say 9.5), then increase the canvas size to 8x10 and add a stroke line or bevel just outside the pic to finish it nicely. I do this all the time and clients like it. I never have to crop something I don't want to to get the pic the size of the frame they want.

CP
No signature, but a bunch of gear.

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 28, 2007 13:43 |  #3

jlg759 wrote in post #3813746 (external link)
I have a photo of a race car I took and on the left side i caught a bystanders arm on right a cone. ( this was at the drag races )... Does this sound possible or is there a better way thanks

First thing I would do is try to clone out the arm, or cone or both. Can you post the shot along with a 100% crop of the area so everyone can take a stab at it?

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

Jay ­ Lowery
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 28, 2007 14:27 |  #4

1.open in photoshop
2.crop file as needed if any
3.set background color to desired border color
4. go to image>canvas size
---- then switch setting from inches or whatever yours is set on to percent then add to it. 120%-140% is usually good enough 120 being thin border and 140 being a bit thicker
5.rezise to desired size and save.

ps: you could create an photoshop action to do this automatically as well for batch production.

photos
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/10984084@N05/ (external link)

jlg759
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 28, 2007 14:57 |  #5

Here is the photo Please I am new to adding frames and cropping for 8x10's so please give detailed instructions as to what you do so I can learn Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

jlg759
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 30, 2007 14:16 |  #6

I have the photo attached please show me what you mean by croping

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 30, 2007 20:22 as a reply to  @ jlg759's post |  #7

Another way to do a simple color border is to add a layer and stroke.
-Open Image
-Layer - New Layer
-CTRL A to select it
-Edit / Stroke
-Select color and number of pixels.
(I used 10 px for yours)
(Sorry had to reduce the quality a bit to get it to upload) :oops:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

1,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
Croping Photo adding Boarder or frame
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.