Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1 year Canon International warranty

ned1
293 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 29, 2007 07:48 |  #1

Hi,
Can someone tell what the difference between a "1 year Canon International warranty" and a UK one as the cost of a canon 100-400 L lens when you shop around on the Internet is unbelievable, or are things not what they seem.

Thanks
Ned :shock:

350D, 17-85 IS 4-5.6, 70-300 IS 4-5.6, 70-200L F4, 100 macro EF USM, Kenko 1.4x, BG-E3 Battery grip, Speedlite 420EX, + bits & pieces

sponsored links
mho01
156 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Aug 29, 2007 11:45 |  #2

they are the same

Canon honours its lens warranty's worldwide.

steunited
187 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 29, 2007 18:15 as a reply to  @ mho01's post |  #3

i bought my 70-200 f/4 l is off kerso last week and the warranty card covers america and canada and also asks for the bill of sale.
does that mean my warranty is not valid?

5D classic,60D, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L ,canon 70-200 2.8L,tamron 150-600,canon 100mm macro,speedlite 430 ex,lowepro minitrekker

kerso
322 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 30, 2007 18:46 |  #4

You have a bill of sale from me. You are covered and I back anything I sell for 1 year regardless. Canon UK have always honoured the International warranties that also have Canada & USA on them. Don't worry. Ian.

steunited wrote in post #3822865 (external link)
i bought my 70-200 f/4 l is off kerso last week and the warranty card covers america and canada and also asks for the bill of sale.
does that mean my warranty is not valid?

kerso
322 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 30, 2007 18:49 |  #5

Thanks Mark for helping out here. As long as Canon lenses with International warranty have a UK invoice Canon will honour them. Japan imports are different normally as they have to go back to Japan in event of a problem as they don't have Canon warranty. Ian.

mho01 wrote in post #3820653 (external link)
they are the same

Canon honours its lens warranty's worldwide.

steunited
187 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 31, 2007 08:24 as a reply to  @ kerso's post |  #6

ok thanks ian

5D classic,60D, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L ,canon 70-200 2.8L,tamron 150-600,canon 100mm macro,speedlite 430 ex,lowepro minitrekker

sergeipetersson
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 12, 2010 05:06 |  #7

does that also concern camera bodies?
i mean the international warranty? if i buy a canon body at BH and something happens, will i be able to replace it in europe?

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 12, 2010 08:49 |  #8

The EU stipulate that anything sold within it's borders must have a minimum 2 year warranty. The International warranty may only be 12 months.

It has been suggested that some countries have warranties as long as 5 years.

That may be a part of the reason prices vary so much one side of the Atlantic to the other?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 12, 2010 17:22 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #9

I believe Canon will respect the 1 year international warranty anywhere. For example I bought a 17-85 during a trip to Asia and when I brought it back there were some problems. Canon Irvine accepted it and fixed it without charge. Generally, I think if you buy a DSLR body or lens Canon will respect the warranty even if you bought it elsewhere. I might be wrong but that's what I heard.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 13, 2010 10:47 |  #10

In the time I've used Canon kit I've never seen a Canon "International Warranty", only UK ones. I do remember Nikon many years ago producing aditional "International" paperwork and it expected to be produced abroad if a claim for repairs was made.

Richard

hk300
253 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 13, 2010 20:49 |  #11

Most Canon lenses are sold with International/Worldwid​e warranty.

In HK Canon bodies are sold with 2 Years local warranty.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,143 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 13, 2010 21:47 |  #12

sergeipetersson wrote in post #9377237 (external link)
does that also concern camera bodies?
i mean the international warranty? if i buy a canon body at BH and something happens, will i be able to replace it in europe?

It's my understanding that camera bodies are only covered in the country they're bought.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 14, 2010 05:20 |  #13

hk300,

"Most Canon lenses are sold with International/Worldwid​e warranty".

If you mean actual paperwork, that was my point. Maybe where you are, but obviously not here in the UK.

I would expect Canon will honour any genuine warranty anywhere in the world. However I suspect that the 5 year warranty applicable in some countries might end up only getting the standard 12 month minimum cover away from home.

Richard

jeyaganesh
438 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 10, 2010 08:26 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #14

Is there any difference between the International Warranty and UK warranty in terms of period coverage? Or all warranties are same one year coverage?

Thanks in advance!
Jay:D

Jay. Flickr (external link) 500px (external link) Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon AE-1 Program, EF 135mm f/2.0 L, EF 35mm f/1.4 L, EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L. (external link)

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

May 10, 2010 09:26 |  #15

I bought a Powershot G9 in Canada a few years back and was explicitly told that the warranty would not be valid back in Europe.

Now, it is very possible that Canon helps us out whenever issues arise with the equipment we bought abroad, but I think that they have no obligations to do so whatsoever.

5D II + ZE 50 MP

sponsored links

8,192 views & 0 likes for this thread
1 year Canon International warranty
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.