Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 31 Aug 2007 (Friday) 22:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Back behind the net

creechjs
553 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 31, 2007 22:54 |  #1

Hmm I don't really know volleyball all that well, (other than it's really hard to photograph), so I'm just not going to add any captions. Comments and/or critiques appreciated.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Jeff Creech Photography
My website - http://jeffcreech.com (external link)

Import Tuner - Modified Magazine - Modified Luxury and Exotics - Modified Mustangs - Turbo Magazine - Honda Tuning

sponsored links
david_usmarine
85 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 31, 2007 23:25 |  #2

nice shots
which lens did you use to capture these ?

Canon 20D..70-200mm f 2.8 canon..18-55mm canon..75-300mm canon..2x II teleconverter canon

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 31, 2007 23:47 |  #3

NIce series! I think he might have used his 70-200 2.8 here.

maderito
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Sep 01, 2007 09:19 as a reply to  @ jdizzle's post |  #4

Nice action and good crops with excellent color and post-processing. The darkened seating areas really creates nice drama for the on court action.

The position you chose to shoot from leads to images that focus either on the hitter, the blocker, or the net. The depth of field at your settings won't get all in focus. And it is very hard to control what the camera AF system will choose as a focal point. The very best shots I've seen framed like your #2-#5 usually are from a more elevated position so that focus is acquired on the hitter (or blocker). Also, such shots usually need a 300mm lens! As you've said - volleyball is hard.

Hope to see more from your next outing.

Woody Lee
http://pbase.com/mader​ito (external link)
http://maderito.fotki.​com (external link)

khall
Goldmember
3,803 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 01, 2007 18:20 |  #5

Good set of pictures. re the third picture. I see that the ladies still have to look their best for the game, I am referring to the nails on player 2.
Good focus and great detail.

YNWA.

on ­ da ­ move
128 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 01, 2007 21:23 |  #6

Nice action shots and series.

Willy

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,317 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 01, 2007 23:40 |  #7

awesome shots! nice job. please tell of your settings. That's awesome with the light falloff for the bg. really cleans up the bg there.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

creechjs
THREAD ­ STARTER
553 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 02, 2007 00:27 |  #8

disneydork06 wrote in post #3843330 (external link)
awesome shots! nice job. please tell of your settings. That's awesome with the light falloff for the bg. really cleans up the bg there.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. These were shot with my 70-200 f/2.8L and they were either ISO 1600, f/2.8, 1/400 (1/500) or at one point I fiddled around with ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/640.

Jeff Creech Photography

Import Tuner - Modified Magazine - Modified Luxury and Exotics - Modified Mustangs - Turbo Magazine - Honda Tuning

Volleyball ­ Mike
69 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 02, 2007 00:44 |  #9

Sweet shots Jeff. I would love to know how you got the background to fall off so well. It makes all the difference to get rid of the clutter inside an areana.

Mike

http://mjbphoto.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

KirkHMB
677 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 02, 2007 11:57 |  #10

Great shots, great action. Love the dark background. You may want to PS out the tripod and other junk in the top left of a couple of shots. I'd love to get consistent lighting like that.

shooting club VB and club soccer, hoping to get back to landscape work soon.

Gear List

coleygm
317 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 07, 2007 12:06 |  #11

creechjs wrote in post #3843487 (external link)
Thanks for the kind words everyone. These were shot with my 70-200 f/2.8L and they were either ISO 1600, f/2.8, 1/400 (1/500) or at one point I fiddled around with ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/640.

I have been having a lot of issues shooting volleyball. I use the 70-200 2.8, but still don't seem to get enough light in or fast enough shutters speeds. Have you ever used a flash for this? seems like such close quarters that i could get yelled at.

also, were you using AI Servo? what focus point were you using and/or did you have it set to all points? ..and finally, what exposure setting did you use? ... Full, Center, etc...

thanks

Greg
DigitalTheta.com (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 07, 2007 19:59 |  #12

nice shots, great color and loving the black background...but I do have an odd question...whats the name on those ankle braces? I'm sick of rolled ankles coaching here and wondering what brand those are, they look like what I was looking for :)

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

creechjs
THREAD ­ STARTER
553 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 07, 2007 20:22 |  #13

coleygm wrote in post #3881864 (external link)
I have been having a lot of issues shooting volleyball. I use the 70-200 2.8, but still don't seem to get enough light in or fast enough shutters speeds. Have you ever used a flash for this? seems like such close quarters that i could get yelled at.

also, were you using AI Servo? what focus point were you using and/or did you have it set to all points? ..and finally, what exposure setting did you use? ... Full, Center, etc...

thanks

The photographers who shoot for the University's athletic website use strobes, but that is because they are hanging from the rafters. Shooting on camera flash is going to leave very unattractive shadows and would be distracting to the players.
I was actually shooting one shot the whole game and I tended to experiment throughout the games of which focus points were best. It really depends on where you are and how you frame the shot. I shot mostly vertical and when I was shooting through the net, I found one of the lower outside corners to be the best. Reason being is when I took the shots the lower point was focused on their legs under the net. This way the camera avoided focusing on the actual net. My sharpest pictures have been with center point, but as I said that's kind of hit or miss when your shooting through the net. As far as metering mode, I don't really use it. I've shot so many game in this arena that I know the ideal settings.

Jeff Creech Photography

creechjs
THREAD ­ STARTER
553 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 07, 2007 20:24 |  #14

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #3884665 (external link)
nice shots, great color and loving the black background...but I do have an odd question...whats the name on those ankle braces? I'm sick of rolled ankles coaching here and wondering what brand those are, they look like what I was looking for :)

Judging from the full size pic, it looks like it says active ankle. That's a pretty well established brand.

Jeff Creech Photography

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 07, 2007 20:43 |  #15

creechjs wrote in post #3884794 (external link)
Judging from the full size pic, it looks like it says active ankle. That's a pretty well established brand.

Thanks!!

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

sponsored links

1,664 views & 0 likes for this thread
Back behind the net
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.