Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 20:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Loving my ST-E2 Transmitter

MagicNikon
313 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 29, 2007 20:20 |  #1

What a time to make a brand switch! I have another 30D coming in the mail to compliment the one that I got last week. Nikon stuff is all but gone.

30D amazes me at 800 and above ISO. Also, the lenses I wanted were only offered by Canon. I have a 17-55mm IS now and a 70-200mm f/4 IS coming.

My Speedlights came tonight, and I really like them with the ST-E2 transmitter.

Just playing around tonight since my 430EX's came in along with my ST-E2 transmitter.

So far, I'm very happy. Kinda sucks that I only control an A and B group as opposed to A, B and C, but whatever. I was happy to discover I can still shoot in AB mode and add as many singular manual 430EX's as I want. Cool. That means I can maintain AB ratios and still have a background and hairlight that doesnt change. If I need to adjust in manual, I have to go over to the flash, but thats okay by me. This is very cool. Anyway, here's a shot of the pup with 430EX shot thru an umbrella.

IMAGE: http://jbsteinke.smugmug.com/photos/189470600-L.jpg

Two Canon 30D's, 70-200mm F/2.8 IS, 17-55mm 2.8 IS, 85mm 1.8, 28mm 1.8, 2 430EX's, ST-E2, 100mm 2.8 macro, 24-105MM F/4 L

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 29, 2007 20:25 |  #2

If you use a 580EX or 580EXII as a Master you can control A, B and C.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

MagicNikon
THREAD ­ STARTER
313 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 29, 2007 20:35 |  #3

TMR Design wrote in post #3823568 (external link)
If you use a 580EX or 580EXII as a Master you can control A, B and C.

Yeah, the 580's were alot more expensive though.... almost double the price of this. I think it's going to work out nicely. There is the added bonus of the infrared not contributing to the exposure or reflection off of shiny objects when the shutter opens.

Two Canon 30D's, 70-200mm F/2.8 IS, 17-55mm 2.8 IS, 85mm 1.8, 28mm 1.8, 2 430EX's, ST-E2, 100mm 2.8 macro, 24-105MM F/4 L

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 29, 2007 20:36 |  #4

Congratulations!

The ST-E2 is definitely a fun device to play with and mine has provided hours of entertainment. I would rate its value on par with the Nifty Fifty and that's saying a lot. There's no limit to what you can do with light now.

Interesting that you found you could fire Speedlites in manual mode simultaneously with E-TTL ones. Of course - it was obvious but never occured to me. The transmitter just says "all of you fire now" and the Speedlites do their own thing. Those with ratios/E-TTL listen to the ST-E2's commands about power level, those on manual just fire.

gcobb
697 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 29, 2007 20:47 |  #5

I really want a monolight with the battery pack. A pocket wizard, a second 430, 2 stands, mounts and all would still be about as much as a good JTL. I need someone to convince me to go with a second 430 or 580 and explain why!

Please!

Canon 30D - Tamron f/2.8 28-75 - Canon 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - Canon 70-200 f/4 - Canon 430ex - Slik Pro 330dx Legs - Slik Ball Head 800 - Vivitar, Novatron, Alienbee And a partridge in a pear tree

say_cheese
792 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 30, 2007 18:27 |  #6

I also use my ST-E2 hot shoe mounted with the 30D mounted on a Stroboframe bracket and the 580EX on the bracket cold shoe. In otherwords, I dispense with the off-shoe cord, Works very reliably. ST-E2 is very handy device, but I think Canon should bring out an updated version to support more than two groups and E-TTL II enabled.

Tools: Canon, Sony, now Fujifilm

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 30, 2007 18:33 |  #7

Your ST-E2 will fire optical slaves too...

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 30, 2007 19:21 |  #8

cosworth wrote in post #3829601 (external link)
Your ST-E2 will fire optical slaves too...

...but to get it to fire an optical slave at the right moment, the 4 dedicated pins need to be taped off so that only the center pin and the side contact are making contact with the hot shoe. Or, use a PC to hotshoe adapter to mount the ST-E2 and hook it up to the PC terminal.

...Leo

MagicNikon
THREAD ­ STARTER
313 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 31, 2007 06:22 |  #9

PacAce wrote in post #3829839 (external link)
...but to get it to fire an optical slave at the right moment, the 4 dedicated pins need to be taped off so that only the center pin and the side contact are making contact with the hot shoe. Or, use a PC to hotshoe adapter to mount the ST-E2 and hook it up to the PC terminal.

Could you elaborate, Pac? What would necessitate that?

iseeihear
36 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 01, 2007 11:55 |  #10

Sorry guys I may off topic.

I want to buy the ST-E2 for off the camera portrait (I mean people) shots, both in-door and out-door. But I was thinking for in-door, would the "better bounce card" do the same job? And for out-door, would the "omni bounce" do the same job?

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 01, 2007 13:26 |  #11

MagicNikon wrote in post #3832625 (external link)
Could you elaborate, Pac? What would necessitate that?

The ST-E2 is an IR wireless transmitter for controlling Speedlite and compatible slaves and it only works in ETTL mode. That means that it will always fire a command preflash for the slaves just before the shutter opens. And if the slaves are also in ETT mode, they will fire an exposure preflash before the shutter opens. This will cause any optically triggered flash or strobe to fire prematurely. And if they can't recycle fast enough, they will not be able to fire when the shutter is actually opens.

To get around this, so that the ST-E2 does not work in ETTL mode, you can either tape off the 4 dedicated pins of the ST-E2 or connect it to the camera using a hotshoe to pc adapter. This way, the ST-E2 only receives a flash triggering pulse via the center pin, making it act like a non-dedicated, fixed power IR flash which won't be visible to you but will be to the optical triggers.

...Leo

fuzzygraphics
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2007 15:44 |  #12

PacAce wrote in post #3840615 (external link)
The ST-E2 is an IR wireless transmitter for controlling Speedlite and compatible slaves and it only works in ETTL mode. That means that it will always fire a command preflash for the slaves just before the shutter opens. And if the slaves are also in ETT mode, they will fire an exposure preflash before the shutter opens. This will cause any optically triggered flash or strobe to fire prematurely. And if they can't recycle fast enough, they will not be able to fire when the shutter is actually opens.

To get around this, so that the ST-E2 does not work in ETTL mode, you can either tape off the 4 dedicated pins of the ST-E2 or connect it to the camera using a hotshoe to pc adapter. This way, the ST-E2 only receives a flash triggering pulse via the center pin, making it act like a non-dedicated, fixed power IR flash which won't be visible to you but will be to the optical triggers.

Fantastic info, thank you for sharing. I also noticed that the range (of the ST-E2) is quite a bit lower than that of the pocket wizards. Is that due to the IR signaling VS. the Pocket Wizards radio signaling?

I currently have a 430ex (as well as a set of Alien Bees) and I've been debating between the ST-E2 and a set of Pocket Wizards. The ETTL preflash may be enough of a deciding factor to use the PWs instead.

Hopefully I'm not too off topic here - Can anyone recommend a cable to go between the PW and a 430ex that won't impede mounting the flash on a stand?

http://www.fuzzysgraph​ics.com (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 01, 2007 17:05 |  #13

fuzzygraphics wrote in post #3841162 (external link)
Fantastic info, thank you for sharing. I also noticed that the range (of the ST-E2) is quite a bit lower than that of the pocket wizards. Is that due to the IR signaling VS. the Pocket Wizards radio signaling?

I currently have a 430ex (as well as a set of Alien Bees) and I've been debating between the ST-E2 and a set of Pocket Wizards. The ETTL preflash may be enough of a deciding factor to use the PWs instead.

Hopefully I'm not too off topic here -Can anyone recommend a cable to go between the PW and a 430ex that won't impede mounting the flash on a stand?

Here are a few that come to mind:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …versal_Flash_Ad​apter.html (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …iphone_to_Femal​e_Hot.html (external link)

http://flashzebra.com/​wizardcables/hotshoe.s​html (external link)

...Leo

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 01, 2007 17:10 |  #14

fuzzygraphics wrote in post #3841162 (external link)
Is that due to the IR signaling VS. the Pocket Wizards radio signaling?

Yes. The radio signals from the Pocket Wizards go through just about anything, whereas the IR light from the ST-E2 very much won't.

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

fuzzygraphics
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2007 20:29 as a reply to  @ bieber's post |  #15

Thanks for the info guys. Just ordered up some Pocket Wizards and a cable from B+H.

http://www.fuzzysgraph​ics.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
Loving my ST-E2 Transmitter
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.