Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Sep 2007 (Wednesday) 00:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 w/ IS - but F4 or F2.8?!?

TeeTee
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2007 00:00 |  #1

Alright, my 70-200 f4 just isn't cutting it. With the lovely English weather I need a lens with IS and weatherproofing for those dull & rainy days. The fact that I shoot sports in these conditions every once in a while definitely doesn't help.

Food for thought. The f4IS has the latest 4 stop IS which effectively allows handheld speeds as low as the 3 stop f2.8IS. Thus the only real advantage the f2.8IS has is for speeding up the shutter speed and bokeh. The advantage the f4IS has is being half the weight, two thirds the cost, and the sharpest zoom Canon has made to date.

Which would you pick, and why? If the f2.8IS was as sharp as the f4IS my decision would be made, but it isn't so. I don't usually stress lens decisions, but this is one I'm really screwing over due to both price and similar performance.

5DmkII & 85L
and a bunch of other glass that rarely sees the light

sponsored links
Isaac86hatch
122 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 05, 2007 00:05 |  #2

I don't care how many stops IS will handle, the difference in low light between f2.8 and f4 are pretty hefty. I will always opt for faster shutter speed is possible. If something is not moving then the IS is great with it's lower shutter speeds. Freezing action in low light without a flash is done with a fast lens, there's just no way around it. I shoot a lot of indoor concert type stuff so a fast lens to me is much better than IS.

jnick
364 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 05, 2007 00:12 |  #3

I'm in the same boat, with the exception that I don't already have the f4 :p.

I'm very much interested in the responses you get. At first, I was going by the motto "go big or go home" but then I thought, as a 20yr old hobbyist, should I be dropping almost $2k on a lens. Not only that, but if I really needed the extra stop, I could always up the ISO, providing I'm not already @ 1600. Granted I get more noise, but then again, is less noise worth $600 for a hobbyist?

The only downsides I see are:

1. You will always be thinking about upgrading. Even though the f4 is "sharper", knowing that there is an "upgraded" version, will constantly make you contemplate on upgrading.

2. The 2.8 allows for more flexibility when using teleconverters. This is the one thing that has made me rethink my decision. However, once again...is it worth the extra $600?

So I guess it really depends on your level of photography, and where you stand in the art. Are you a professional? Do you shoot in low light, often? Are you just a hobbyist? And most importantly, can you afford the 2.8?

In the end, if you can afford the 2.8, I'd say go for it. You'll have the peace of mind of having the "highest" 70-200 AND remember, a f/2.8 can always shoot at f4 and closely match the sharpness of the 70-200f/4. Where as the 70-200 f4 can only shoot as low as...well, f4!

Canon 40D + Grip | Canon 7D + Grip | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200L 2.8 IS | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | 430EX | 580 EX II

toneyw
376 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 05, 2007 00:22 |  #4

I was going through the decision process between f4 or f2.8 and decided to go with the f2.8 lens because regardless of how good IS is, f2.8 is still faster than f4. The lens is well worth it's weight and cost. I have no regrets with my 70-200L f2.8 IS lens.

Canon 30D Gripped
EF 70-200 2.8L IS
EFS 17-55 2.8 IS
Speedlight 430EX
055XPROB w/ 488 RC2 Head

unix04
a title too
584 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 05, 2007 00:46 |  #5

is it worth the $600 price difference? coming from someone who hasn't fully experienced the wonder of the 2.8, then probably not... and that's why i bought mine used for almost $300 less than what it cost to buy new :)

but now that i'm using it, i can say that had my eyes been open to what the 2.8 version can do, i would've paid the extra $600. but that's just me... some people will still think it's not worth it.

Currently:
Canon EOS 30D | 5D | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 24-105/4L IS USM | EF 70-200/2.8 IS USM | Speedlite 430EX

TeeTee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2007 00:57 |  #6

Nice to see im not the only one with this pleasant problem Nick, same age group too. Thanks for reminding me about the teleconverter issue, as i defenitely do plan on using TCs for the timebeing. That's a definite point in favour of the f2.8.

Any other points we may have missed? Any more personal experiences?

5DmkII & 85L

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,244 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 05, 2007 01:03 |  #7

TeeTee wrote in post #3863860 (external link)
Nice to see im not the only one with this pleasant problem Nick, same age group too. Thanks for reminding me about the teleconverter issue, as i defenitely do plan on using TCs for the timebeing. That's a definite point in favour of the f2.8.

Any other points we may have missed? Any more personal experiences?

why couldn't you use a TC with the f4?

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

TeeTee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2007 01:15 |  #8

Of course you can, but the one stop puts the 2.8 in a better position to do so.

5DmkII & 85L

e ­ r ­ y ­ k
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 05, 2007 01:24 |  #9

ed rader wrote in post #3863884 (external link)
why couldn't you use a TC with the f4?

ed rader

i believe you can use a 1.4x teleconverter on the f4, but not the 2x. once you hit 2x you will loose the AF function of the lens

Canon EOS 5Dmk3 //

sponsored links

801 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200 w/ IS - but F4 or F2.8?!?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.