Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 11 Sep 2007 (Tuesday) 01:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Purpose of life?

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 11, 2007 09:00 |  #31

Roy Mathers wrote in post #3906801 (external link)
Does that mean that atheists can't have family, friends, happiness or enjoy themselves?

If they can't then I must be doing something wrong :lol:

Anyway, some inspiring words:
Whenever life gets you down, Mrs Brown, and things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious, or daft, and you feel that you've had quite eno-huh-huh-huh-huh-hoooooooough.

Just re-member that you're standing on a planet that's evolving, revolving at 900 miles an hour.

It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned, a Sun, that is the source of all our power.
The Sun, and you and me, and all the stars that you can see, are moving at a million miles a day
In the outer-spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour, of the Galaxy we call "The Milky Way".
Our Galaxy itself contains a hundred-billion stars, it's a hundred thousand light years side to side.

It bulges in the middle, 16,000 light years thick, but out by us, it's just 3,000 light years wide.

We're 30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point, we go round every 200 million years,

And our Galaxy is only one of millions of billions in the amazing and expanding univ
erse!
The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding in all of the directions it can whizz,

As fast as it can go, the speed of light, you know, 12 million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is,

So remember when you're feeling very small and insecure, how amazingly unlikely is your birth

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Go watch Monty Python's 'Meaning of Life' and you'll feel better.

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

sponsored links
Graphyfotoz
695 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 11, 2007 09:01 |  #32

Does that mean that atheists can't have family, friends, happiness or enjoy themselves?

As CanonPink mentioned above I've said enough.

If we were out taking photo's and not worring about this "Purpose of Life" post we wouldn't worry about it.

That alone would be purpose enough! :lol:

Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR 30x 16mp
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS
(Friend Me on FaceBook - Jim Bolden)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,797 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 11, 2007 09:04 |  #33

Graphyfotoz wrote in post #3906416 (external link)
1 - GOD
2 - Family/Friends
3 - Happiness/Enjoy yourself

Can't have #2 and or #3 with out #1
Money can't buy any of the 3!!

Mighty close to that fuzzy line. ;)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,797 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 11, 2007 09:07 |  #34

tiktaalik wrote in post #3906826 (external link)
It bulges in the middle, 16,000 light years thick, but out by us, it's just 3,000 light years wide.
We're 30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point, we go round every 200 million years,....

So does that make us galactic hicks?;):D

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 11, 2007 09:10 |  #35

gjl711 wrote in post #3906866 (external link)
So does that make us galactic hicks?;):D

Yep. We're out in the backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western spiral arm of the galaxy :D

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

BillsBayou
In trouble with my wife
5,025 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Sep 11, 2007 09:14 |  #36

In my view, to ask what is the "purpose" of life presupposes intention.

I built four plywood walls for my 4x8 utility trailer. My wife asks "What's the purpose of THAT?" The walls did not exist in and of themselves, they have a purpose: To hold in the trash I was hauling.

I put a flash bracket on my camera. My cousin asks "What's the purpose of that?" The flash bracket has a purpose: Change the lighting angle.

A boulder rolls off a road-side cliff and blocks the road. A commuter asks "What is the purpose of this?" There is NO purpose to the rock. It has move through no purposeful action. It is simply in a new location. It will be moved, however, by a road crew with the purpose of restoring traffic flow.

What is the purpose of life? Ask the creator.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

dolfinack
415 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 11, 2007 09:15 |  #37

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #3905685 (external link)
the meaning of life is

to have fun
to be happy
to love everyone you can and to be loved back
to take as many photos as possible of every second of everything that you love to do, with making sure that you print them as well.

I lolled. I was juuust thinking that! :D

Me flickr (external link) Canon 40D | 17-40L | Canon 18-55mm IS | Tamron 55-200mm Di II | Nifty Fifty Canon 50mm 1.8 ii and a big cheapo tripod thingy. Cokin P filter system. 430ex ii Speedlite

lakiluno
slightly jealous
2,895 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 11, 2007 09:22 |  #38

rhys wrote in post #3906658 (external link)
It has no purpose! The best you can do is to make sure that you're not thoroughly miserable in life.

tiktaalik wrote in post #3906773 (external link)
It's up to you to decide the purpose of your life.

paulhillion wrote in post #3906743 (external link)
To live!

What they said...

Leo
20D|Tamron 17-50 2.8|Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro|50 1.8|Sigma EF-500 DG Super|
My Photo Gallery (external link) *New* | My Gear List | Backup Photos Easily with Robocopy

Big ­ WIll
"Slight breach of etiquette"
2,363 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 11, 2007 09:27 |  #39

After searching for a poster, titled "50 reasons why i love life" on the internet, I found this about 50 things i love about the simpsons:

Worth a read for any simpsons fans - http://rogerowengreen.​blogspot.com …-love-about-simpsons.html (external link)

Ps ill keep looking for the poster :)

Computers blur the boundaries... We are being released from the suddenness of photography, the suddenness of the shutterhttp://www.photography​-on-the.net …p?p=1606920&pos​tcount=132

pushtoexit
219 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 11, 2007 09:36 |  #40

Humble opinion only...but I would suggest that life does have purpose, but that specific purpose eludes us. The planet is connected through all elements which coexist in a somewhat balanced state. That every individual and creature is eternally important in their own way. The lives they touch, the fodder they create. Just look around and you will see life in everything...the connectedness of it all. Understanding you can't control the connectedness..it exists whether you aknowledge it or not, allows you to find humour, and peacefulness in your daily turmoil. That we are all ignorantly important, and eternally connected to everything around us...but can't change a darn thing no matter how seriously, angry, frightened, or determined we take ourselves. Might as well be happy, loving, greatful, filled with forgiveness, and appreciate every moment as best you can.

A Beginners Gallery (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,788 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 11, 2007 09:43 |  #41

This is the question that humankind has pondered since the dawn of cognitive reasoning. It hasn't been answered in tall those hundreds of thousands of years, and it probably won't be answered in the next 100,000 - at least for the race as a whole, though we can all find an individual purpose for our lives if we try hard enough.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Twitter (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

Mum2J&M
Goldmember
3,429 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 11, 2007 09:54 |  #42

cosworth wrote in post #3905313 (external link)
The purpose of life is to be loved and love back.

I could be broke and homeless, as long as Ramona was at my side, I'd be the richest man on the planet.

That being said, I spent $314,000 today.

Please tell me this was not on camera gear, lol. :lol:

Cleo
50D
smugmug (external link)

Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Sep 11, 2007 12:07 as a reply to  @ Mum2J&M's post |  #43

(I'm surprised nobody has jumped on this one yet :lol:)

Money does not buy happiness
But it does a great job of renting it!

During our early years of marriage, money was a terrible issue. We scrapped and scrimped and went through some rough territory, but togeather. At one point, my wife was on maternity leave (well before the wonderful 1 year leave came into affect :confused:) and I was in college again. This was for our second son, BTW. Both on benefits and scrimping BIG time. But togeather.

Now we have gone through the years of raising the kids and trying to get them to move out on their own and/or get settled into life.

Money is much better due to the sacrifices and efforts from early years.

Life is good.

But it was good then too, just different.

The only constant is we were togeather.

Money will always be an issue, but put it in it's proper place. A means to an end, but not a sole purpose.

Meaning to my life is to challenge my abilty, move my goals higher and harder, love and be loved (when appropriate).

Final goal in life is to:
A) Die owing the government a lot of money
B) Live long enough to be a burden to my children
C) Enjoy what I have
D) Love, and accept, the people around me.

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

crazyskillz07
"invisible to everyone"
2,874 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 11, 2007 12:42 |  #44

Don't take life seriously, you will never get out alive anyway.

-Turk- Blog (external link)
Canon EOS 40D w/ BG-E2N... Canon EOS 30D...

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 11, 2007 12:48 |  #45

Mum2J&M wrote in post #3907124 (external link)
Please tell me this was not on camera gear, lol. :lol:

I bought some live/work space in the "wedding district", more details will come in the weeks ahead. :cool:

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

sponsored links

4,359 views & 0 likes for this thread
Purpose of life?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.