Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Sep 2007 (Sunday) 17:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gymnastic Lens

stefeb
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 16, 2007 17:31 |  #1

My question, which is basically, "which lens to use" has a slightly different twist.

I am only permitted to shoot from the bleachers. The floor is reserved for photographers that "officially" cover the meet, so my vantage point is limited.

Camera will be MKIII.

Lenses available for use are: 300 f/2.8, 135mm f/2.0, 70-200 f/2.8, 85 f/1.8

Any thoughts on which of the above lenses would be the "best" gymnastics lens?

Thanks.

Steve -
Gear List
My Photos - http://www.lehighvalle​yphotography.com (external link)
http://psc.photoshelte​r.com/user/stevefebbra​ro (external link)

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 16, 2007 17:48 |  #2

stefeb wrote in post #3942884 (external link)
My question, which is basically, "which lens to use" has a slightly different twist.

I am only permitted to shoot from the bleachers. The floor is reserved for photographers that "officially" cover the meet, so my vantage point is limited.

Camera will be MKIII.

Lenses available for use are: 300 f/2.8, 135mm f/2.0, 70-200 f/2.8, 85 f/1.8

Any thoughts on which of the above lenses would be the "best" gymnastics lens?

To provide a qualified recommendation, one would need to know the camera-to-subject distance(s) you expect to encounter plus an estimation of the lighting levels involved.

The type of lighting could also be a significant factor. If the lighting is fluorescent lighting with line-frequency ballasts (as opposed to high-frequency ballasts) or a similar gas-discharge lighting that changes its intensity and color twice per power-line cycle, there are some very significant limitations for photography.

Assuming you run into the fluorescent light problem, do you know if you would be permitted to use flash? If so, what flash resource(s) do you have available?

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 16, 2007 19:06 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #3

Most gyms are poorly lit for photography, but I have had a good amount of success using my 70-200 f/2.8 lens when shooting my daughter's meets. If you're a bit farther away in a bleacher area, the 85mm may not be long enough. the 300 2.8 or the 135 f/2 may be better unless you can get close enough for the 85.

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

gymdad
225 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 16, 2007 20:24 as a reply to  @ nhbeast's post |  #4

Steve,

The 70-200/2.8 is an excellent gymnastics lens, if you've got enough light. My daughters compete in some gyms that are light enough to use it, and many other local, private, and club gyms where it is simply too dark to use it. The 85 is a little too short, unless you have floor access. I reallly like the 135/2, and am using it more and more all the time. Hope this helps!

http://flickr.com/phot​os/gymcritters/ (external link)
Canon gear

CelticRavenVA
207 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 16, 2007 20:27 |  #5

I have shot several times on the floor, most meets are poorly lit, and really offer no help in getting a good white balance from the get go, with open windows and sometimes sodium lights in the gym.

Go for the fastest lenses you can get. F/2.8, at 1600 usually does pretty well. If you shooting from the bleachers, your 300 might do well for you also.

CelticRaven
:p ~if you take me too seriously your head might explode~ :lol:

pagnamenta
787 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 16, 2007 21:04 |  #6

The gyms I shoot in get me ISO 1600 f2.8 @ 1/250th. It does a good job of freezing action but you still get some blur on the feet every once in a while. Depending on your distance, I'd take the 135 f2 (great for the light) and then bring the 70-200 just in case you need the little extra reach.

Canon 1D3, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sale), 1.4x converter, 580EX.

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 16, 2007 21:46 |  #7

Bring all three lenses. I have used a mono pod while seated in gym bleachers. Good luck.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 17, 2007 00:06 |  #8

stefeb wrote in post #3942884 (external link)

OK, don't tell me I'm the only one who caught the pun here...

Until you know the lighting and the distance, it's tough to say. But I suspect that 70-200 will be the front-runner. Can you get down to the gym to see where you'll be sitting and to get an exposure reading? Also, you'll need to determine how distant each exercise is that your kid will do.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

jmpsmash
244 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 17, 2007 00:29 |  #9

aside from the 200/1.8, you probably have the 3 best lens for indoor sport, 300/2.8 for far away, 135/2 for medium, 85/1.8 for close. 70-200/2.8 is good all-arounder for when the gym is pretty well lit.

i think you are pretty much all set.

EOS 1D MarkIII | 85 f/1.8 | 35 f/1.4L | 70-200 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L | Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 | 580exII
Badminton Central (external link) / Badminton Photography Forum (external link) / 16feathers.com (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 17, 2007 00:34 |  #10

i suggest you go for 70-200 and 135. if it's too close or too far for the 135, you'll have a backup, and if not use the 135 exclusively. also, iso3200 or even 6400 will come in handy here, so don't fret some high numbers

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

stefeb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 17, 2007 14:00 |  #11

SkipD wrote in post #3942963 (external link)
To provide a qualified recommendation, one would need to know the camera-to-subject distance(s) you expect to encounter plus an estimation of the lighting levels involved.

The type of lighting could also be a significant factor. If the lighting is fluorescent lighting with line-frequency ballasts (as opposed to high-frequency ballasts) or a similar gas-discharge lighting that changes its intensity and color twice per power-line cycle, there are some very significant limitations for photography.

Assuming you run into the fluorescent light problem, do you know if you would be permitted to use flash? If so, what flash resource(s) do you have available?

1. Have no idea of the type of lighting.
2. Bleachers about 10' from floor. I was thinking on getting on the top row, about 20 up from the floor.
3. No flash allowed.

Steve -
Gear List

stefeb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 17, 2007 14:06 |  #12

CelticRavenVA wrote in post #3943914 (external link)
I have shot several times on the floor, most meets are poorly lit, and really offer no help in getting a good white balance from the get go, with open windows and sometimes sodium lights in the gym.

Go for the fastest lenses you can get. F/2.8, at 1600 usually does pretty well. If you shooting from the bleachers, your 300 might do well for you also.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll be able to shoot at ISO 3200, with low/moderate noise, and can go up to 6400, but will be using Noise Ninja for sure.

pagnamenta wrote in post #3944162 (external link)
The gyms I shoot in get me ISO 1600 f2.8 @ 1/250th. It does a good job of freezing action but you still get some blur on the feet every once in a while. Depending on your distance, I'd take the 135 f2 (great for the light) and then bring the 70-200 just in case you need the little extra reach.

Thanks. The two you mentioned were in the top three lenses.

Tapeman wrote in post #3944496 (external link)
Bring all three lenses. I have used a mono pod while seated in gym bleachers. Good luck.

I may just do that. At least I'd look like a pro ;).

Tony-S wrote in post #3945341 (external link)
OK, don't tell me I'm the only one who caught the pun here...

Until you know the lighting and the distance, it's tough to say. But I suspect that 70-200 will be the front-runner. Can you get down to the gym to see where you'll be sitting and to get an exposure reading? Also, you'll need to determine how distant each exercise is that your kid will do.

That's a great suggestion. I'm sure I can go to one of my grandaughter's practice sessions. Of course, that will provide me the lighting for her gym, the away meets will be a crap shoot.

jmpsmash wrote in post #3945411 (external link)
aside from the 200/1.8, you probably have the 3 best lens for indoor sport, 300/2.8 for far away, 135/2 for medium, 85/1.8 for close. 70-200/2.8 is good all-arounder for when the gym is pretty well lit.

i think you are pretty much all set.

Thanks, I'll just bring all three. There problem solved. ;)

basroil wrote in post #3945427 (external link)
i suggest you go for 70-200 and 135. if it's too close or too far for the 135, you'll have a backup, and if not use the 135 exclusively. also, iso3200 or even 6400 will come in handy here, so don't fret some high numbers

Thanks. I'm grateful to have the high ISO if needed.

Steve -
Gear List

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 17, 2007 14:14 |  #13

I bet you will find that the 70-200 2.8 will just barely be long enough.

When you say "available" lenses, are those the lenses you have, or are going to rent. IF you have all of them (then I hate you....LOL...just kidding) I would take them all and try all different positions...

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 17, 2007 14:16 |  #14

Sorry, you posted at teh same time as I did and basically answered my questions...

Have fun, those are some nice lenses!

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

canonpink
615 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 17, 2007 14:17 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

135 f/2 - this will help you keep your ISO's low. I take it you will use it on a crop camera.

CP
No signature, but a bunch of gear.

sponsored links

2,318 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gymnastic Lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.