Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 13 Sep 2007 (Thursday) 19:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

reno air races

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Sep 13, 2007 19:57 |  #1

hey everyone,

today was my first time ever going to the reno air races. there were some really awesome air craft, great shows.

but to the photographers who might have been there today.

if you have photos of the crash they are asking that you let them look at it to see what could have caused the accident.

my heart and prayers go out to the family of the person flying.

shannon

sponsored links
RCoulter
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 13, 2007 22:56 |  #2

Its not of the crash, but I think it fits:

IMAGE: http://machimages.com/temp/RAR07/BS_BM_1.jpg

Airliners.net (external link) / JetPhotos.net (external link)
Canon EOS 1D MKII N/40D/20D/7D | 100-400L |
Canon 24-70 F2.8 L| 28-135 IS | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO DG |Sigma 50-500 APO RF

SusanK
42 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 13, 2007 23:01 as a reply to  @ RCoulter's post |  #3

Anybody out there on the forum stop by Box B14 if you're at the Reno Air Races! I missed the crash today - seems to be an L-39, know there were two fatalities, speculation is wake turbulence.
Susan K.

Canon 20D and 40D; EFS 17-55; EF24-105L; 430EX; SD550

RCoulter
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 13, 2007 23:03 |  #4

SusanK wrote in post #3926213 (external link)
Anybody out there on the forum stop by Box B14 if you're at the Reno Air Races! I missed the crash today - seems to be an L-39, know there were two fatalities, speculation is wake turbulence.
Susan K.

If you are talking about the jet crash, it was the plane and pilot I posted above. There were no other fatalities unless you are thinking of the biplane crash a few days ago.

Airliners.net (external link) / JetPhotos.net (external link)
Canon EOS 1D MKII N/40D/20D/7D | 100-400L |
Canon 24-70 F2.8 L| 28-135 IS | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO DG |Sigma 50-500 APO RF

shannyD
THREAD ­ STARTER
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Sep 13, 2007 23:49 |  #5

i was in box c123 it all happened right there... and susan wake turbulance makes a lot of sence.

it was crazy though.

my hubby was sitting next to me and i heard him saying " oh sh*t Oh SH*T", i looked over and then it went down.

we left about 5 mins after it because i was torn apart. plus my two kids were sitting right there. i didnt know how to explain what had just happened to my 5 year old.

( i dont handle things like that well )

shannyD
THREAD ­ STARTER
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 13, 2007 23:50 |  #6

i already saw the crash. i dont need to see it again. it breaks my heart thinking about it.
and very lovely shot.

all of mine sucked. fast moving objects just arent my thing i suppose. but it was a great show up until that point.

shannon

RCoulter wrote in post #3926185 (external link)
Its not of the crash, but I think it fits:

QUOTED IMAGE

slcr1
421 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 14, 2007 00:02 as a reply to  @ shannyD's post |  #7

Just got to Reno tonight and heard the news.. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of both pilots from the past two days. Being a pilot myself, I can almost assure they passed away doing something they love and were very passionate about.

Spoke to a few friends who were out there it does indeed sound like turbulence generated from the other aircraft in front of the airplane may have been a contributing factor. :( But time will tell..

On a side note, I'll be in Box 31 the next few days if anything wants to stop an say hi..

- Josh

- Josh

Websites: http://www.nexgenphoto​.com (external link)

shannyD
THREAD ­ STARTER
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 14, 2007 08:39 |  #8

slcr1 wrote in post #3926548 (external link)
Just got to Reno tonight and heard the news.. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of both pilots from the past two days. Being a pilot myself, I can almost assure they passed away doing something they love and were very passionate about.

Spoke to a few friends who were out there it does indeed sound like turbulence generated from the other aircraft in front of the airplane may have been a contributing factor. :( But time will tell..

On a side note, I'll be in Box 31 the next few days if anything wants to stop an say hi..

- Josh

just heart breaking to me regardless.
we were right at the start/finish line, and it looked like he was losing control and over corrected. maybe caused from the turbulence.

i have issues about this kind of thing. and to have seen it with my own eyes has been definitely strange.

i hope you have a great time at the air show. and i hope these problems get worked out.

on the news they had mentioned something about suspending the races.

but i hope not because i think its a great thing, and it is super fun to see these things fly.

shannon

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 14, 2007 10:03 as a reply to  @ shannyD's post |  #9

I was infront of Merlin's Magic Pit area, so it happened right in front of me (honestly, I thought it was going to happen right on me).

I got 25 frame burst of the crash right after it hit (during the fireball, etc) but nothing before that.

The pics I got were pretty darn graphic (you can see the pilot), so far I haven't seen anything like them on the web. I'm not going to post them either.

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

shannyD
THREAD ­ STARTER
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 14, 2007 11:15 |  #10

P51Mstg wrote in post #3928851 (external link)
I was infront of Merlin's Magic Pit area, so it happened right in front of me (honestly, I thought it was going to happen right on me).

I got 25 frame burst of the crash right after it hit (during the fireball, etc) but nothing before that.

The pics I got were pretty darn graphic (you can see the pilot), so far I haven't seen anything like them on the web. I'm not going to post them either.

Mark H

that is great that you got pictures like that.

i mean they might be worth sharing to the people in reno.
but wow. i dont think that i could stomach seeing it again. i didnt see the pilot, but my stomach is churning just thinking about it.

but my hubby has seen a lot of this kind of thing happen ( when he was in iraq) and he agreed that it can be a really graphic thing to see, and he said the worst part of it. is that when you pull them out of the wreck, and they are still a live, and during the flight back to an american base/hospital. they are screaming, and there isnt much you can do for them. and he hoped that when he had to go out to do this kind of thing, that the pilot was dead, because that has to be the most painful way to go.

there were a few accident that had happened in iraq like that that my husband had witnessed first hand, so he isnt shaken up about it. but i didnt sleep, i cant eat, i dont feel like letting my kid go to school today.

maybe im just crazy, but this has affected me in a huge way.

i hope that they are safe today, i hope they have revamped how the races should be run. i dont know what they could do. but i know there has to be a way to make it safer for pilots and spectators.

shannon

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 14, 2007 21:14 as a reply to  @ shannyD's post |  #11

There was another crash today. Apparantly it was a mid-air between at least two aircraft. This is three fatalities in four days at the races.

http://thelede.blogs.n​ytimes.com …days-at-reno-air-show/?hp (external link)

John

shannyD
THREAD ­ STARTER
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 14, 2007 22:55 |  #12

JWright wrote in post #3932386 (external link)
There was another crash today. Apparantly it was a mid-air between at least two aircraft. This is three fatalities in four days at the races.

http://thelede.blogs.n​ytimes.com …days-at-reno-air-show/?hp (external link)

that is so crazy. what is going on for this to be happening so often.. i have never heard of this going on, and you would have thought that maybe they would have done something to keep pilots/staff, and spectators safer???

i wouldnt know. but i guess im just thinking out loud because i have had a problem with this since yesterday when the crash happened. i feel horrible, and i am saddened that this has been happening so frequently.

i dont even want to go to another show next year. and i love races, and aircraft.

to all of my POTN friends. stay safe, and have a great weekend.

shannon

slcr1
421 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 14, 2007 23:42 as a reply to  @ shannyD's post |  #13

Sad stuff again today.. :( Amazingly after the collision, Jason was able to land and sustained serious injuries but is now in fair condition after surgery at a local hospital.. Thoughts and prayers go out to both families.. :(

- Josh

Websites: http://www.nexgenphoto​.com (external link)

shannyD
THREAD ­ STARTER
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 14, 2007 23:45 |  #14

im glad to hear that.
still sad though. i guess for me. seeing it first hand was just beyond mind blowing. i think about it every second.
i need a hug.

meeksdigital
116 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 17, 2007 00:16 |  #15

i just got home this evening... was pit crewing for a friend who flies in the biplane class. i saw jason somes around just before i left. he has a patch on one eye, but seems to be doing very well. i think his vision will return in that eye as well, thats what i heard anyway.

i also witnessed brads crash on thursday.... it was horrible and i really hope no one posts images here, honestly. i'd say if anyone has images that RARA, NTSB or the FAA wants, then send them to the appropriate parties... don't post them here.

i'm glad though that the rest of the races went well over the last two days. the sport gold and unlimited gold races today were AMAZING (rare bear kicked ASS!) and the weather was of course beautiful all week.

my heart goes out to the families of those who were lost this time around. hopefully things will go a bit smoother next year.

Meeks Digital Photography :: www.meeksdigital.com (external link)https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=1686910&pos​tcount=149

sponsored links

4,151 views & 0 likes for this thread
reno air races
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.