Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 18 Sep 2007 (Tuesday) 17:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash battery pack for weddings

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 19, 2007 10:21 |  #16

Do you guys shoot at ISO200 indoors or something? I have never had the recycle times leave me dry before... ok well... maybe a couple times, but not enough to make me carry an even heavier kit than usual. My back hurts enough as it is...

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links
sam0329
540 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 19, 2007 10:52 |  #17

picturecrazy wrote in post #3963414 (external link)
Do you guys shoot at ISO200 indoors or something? I have never had the recycle times leave me dry before... ok well... maybe a couple times, but not enough to make me carry an even heavier kit than usual. My back hurts enough as it is...

Agree, extra weight really hurt! The only time I need to change the batteries was one time I was doing a BBQ reception at night, no light just camp fire. I shoot ISO 3200 on dance floor and yes no light on dance floor... :lol:

kiwinvan
203 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 19, 2007 11:09 as a reply to  @ sam0329's post |  #18

I use a Jackrabbit by Dynalite http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …krabbit_Pack_II​_with.html (external link).

Got it after shooting a ceremony and reception in April which was inside in front of panoramic windows outside of which was snow - intense backlight. I found my flash was throwing out inconsistant power due to recycling times and so shots were inconsistantly exposed. Made extra pp work.

I'm interested in Lloyd's batteries and charger for sure, but I LOVE the rabbit.

Wear it clipped to my belt. Don't really notice the weight but the cord can take a little getting used to.

leanne
Vancouver Wedding Photographer
website (external link)
blog (external link)

subtle_spectre
Goldmember
1,657 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 19, 2007 11:34 |  #19

I use a Quantum Turbo 2x2 powering 2 580Ex's on two bodies. In darkest of halls, there is still a 4 second delay in charging. For outdoor stuff, in bright sun, I now use a Metz 76 mor e often than not.

Scott
Vista owner...and user  :p _______________

Gear
www.scottcphotography.​com (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 19, 2007 12:12 |  #20

I don't shoot ISO200 but I use flash all day for everything I can. Recycle times have hurt me before and I'd rather add a few ounces to my kit than go through that again...

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

jamiewexler
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 19, 2007 12:15 |  #21

Another happy CP-E3 user here. I flash at 800-1600 when I'm indoors, so the 4AA's in the flash do pretty well, but outdoor fill is another matter alltogether. I can really tell the weddings where I have had to overpower the sun with my flash by my recycle times when I get to the reception. The flash with the CP-E3 is usually still going strong, the flash without it is usually tired. Besides, it's cheap, and powerful. I'd never roll without one!

Massachusetts Wedding Photographer (external link)
My blog (external link)
my facebook (external link)
my gear

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 19, 2007 12:21 |  #22

I'm seriously considering a CP-E4 to stick under the 1D so I can move the CP-E3 to the 10D...love it that much.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 19, 2007 13:01 |  #23

You guys must have pipes of steel to hold that extra weight all day. I guess it also depends on your shooting style. If you like to shoot many frames in succession then the 4AA might leave you dry.

-Lloyd
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Padawan ­ Dad
908 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 19, 2007 13:02 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #24

CP-E3 all the way. I shot at 1250 - 1600 during receptions, and never miss a heartbeat with this in my pocket. Love it for fill during outdoor formals... no "hold on a second guys while my flash gets ready."

I never found the weight of a CP-E3 to be an issue, and I carry around 2 cameras: 1 w/17-55 the other with a 70-200. Maybe I just have more pumpatude than others :D

Bill Hicks Photography (external link)

Nikon D700 • 50 ƒ/1.4G • 24-70 ƒ/2.8 • 70-200 ƒ/2.8 VRII SB900  iMac

jamiewexler
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 19, 2007 13:03 |  #25

picturecrazy wrote in post #3964439 (external link)
You guys must have pipes of steel to hold that extra weight all day. I guess it also depends on your shooting style. If you like to shoot many frames in succession then the 4AA might leave you dry.

Not sure about my pipes, but my spheres...

Massachusetts Wedding Photographer (external link)
My blog (external link)
my facebook (external link)
my gear

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 19, 2007 13:05 |  #26

I figure I'm already lugging a heavy 1D, 24-70, 580EX, and bracket. Adding the CP-E3 makes very little difference. I'd put it on my waist but my luck says I get strangled before the formals...

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 19, 2007 13:07 |  #27

cdifoto wrote in post #3964464 (external link)
I figure I'm already lugging a heavy 1D, 24-70, 580EX, and bracket. Adding the CP-E3 makes very little difference. I'd put it on my waist but my luck says I get strangled before the formals...

I carry the 1D3, 580, and 24-70 all day and that's bad enough. I think the cp-e3 would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I didn't even entertain buying a 1D2 because of the weight. When I heard the 1D3 dropped a half pound of weight, it became an option to me.

-Lloyd

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 19, 2007 13:09 |  #28

picturecrazy wrote in post #3964481 (external link)
I carry the 1D3, 580, and 24-70 all day and that's bad enough. I think the cp-e3 would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I didn't even entertain buying a 1D2 because of the weight. When I heard the 1D3 dropped a half pound of weight, it became an option to me.

Nah it adds almost nothing perceivable. I have to strip it down to just the 1D and 24-70 before it starts to feel light. And the rare times that happens, it's featherweight! Of course it helps to have the battery pack strapped to the bottom of the rig, so it's balanced evenly. Flash on top and CP-E3 on bottom almost even either other out. Balance is more crucial than mass, imho. Case in point...the "rig" as a 1D and Takumar 50mm feels heavier than the 1D and 24-70 combination because the former is all in my right hand. The latter is in both hands.

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 19, 2007 13:20 |  #29

CP-E3 either on my belt or on my strobo-frame. Either way I don't have to worry about my flash keeping up. And I usually shoot at 400iso.

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 19, 2007 17:52 |  #30

Indoors nope, but I use umbrellas which eat power. I just want really fast recharge times.

picturecrazy wrote in post #3964439 (external link)

Battery pack goes in my pocket, no extra weight at all.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

4,796 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash battery pack for weddings
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.