Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 20 Sep 2007 (Thursday) 04:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moonrise over my city!

this thread is locked
theague
Mr. Monkey Pants!
10,530 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 20, 2007 18:05 |  #31

tiktaalik wrote in post #3973576 (external link)
Wonderful image.

There was a lunar eclipse last month which would bring down the brightness of the moon a great deal (and the color of the moon here is consistent with that) and might explain why the reflection isn't there.

Here is an image I found of an eclipsed moon rising over a city:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nas​a.gov/apod/ap020130.ht​ml (external link)
This doesn't appear to have been taken during an eclipse, but lots of gunk in the atmosphere can produce the orange color as well.

It's a bit hard to judge but the size of the moon in the OP may be a bit big compared to the buildings but is not unreasonably so, IMO. I am a bit perplexed by the perfect building reflections (except for the one tiny wavy bit). I do not think that manipulations distract from an image but can produce slices of what reality should be. No need to get defensive if you fix the moon to be the proper size or make the reflections what they should have been.

FUnny, I was looking at that link thinking... MAN that looks a LOT like the Seattle Skyline but from that point, which would be on Alki beach that would have to be the moon rise not set.. then i looked around on the page and discovered I was indeed correct. :)
That image proves my point though. There would not be a mirror reflection of just the orb, there would be the swath of light that this image is missing. I like the image that has been posted in this thread. I just wonder about how this image was created...

Stime187 wrote in post #3973630 (external link)
Woah...

Why did my post in this thread get deleted??!??!?!!??

I stand by my original (deleted) post from a couple hours ago, this image is a manipulation.

- Scott

Perhaps because the post had the tone of a personal attack? Perhaps the moderator didn't like what you wrote? I don't know. lol

From that link..

Full moon over Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Beautfiful night scene, but a 30 second exposure yields a great city picture, but an over-exposed moon. To properly shoot this scene, one must make a double-exposure picture: the same 30-second shot (without the moon), and a second exposure of the moon (generally, f5.6 @ 1/125 second) on the same frame of Velvia, that has nothing but the moon. "Sandwiched together", the in-camera composition would yeild the desired picture.

- Kody

sponsored links
tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 20, 2007 18:09 |  #32

theague wrote in post #3973713 (external link)
That image proves my point though. There would not be a mirror reflection of just the orb, there would be the swath of light that this image is missing. I like the image that has been posted in this thread. I just wonder about how this image was created...

But the huge swath of reflection in the picture I linked to only shows up when the moon has cleared the horizon dust/smog. I don't see separate reflections when the moon is lower on the horizon and darker.

But I agree that reflection manipulation has taken place. I really like the image, though.

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2007 18:20 |  #33

theague wrote in post #3973713 (external link)

NO IT DOESN"T. Look at the angle and cropping in the original. The water is like a mirror, if that were the case you will not see the swath of light and if a polarizer is involved it could reduce it even if it did exist.

I'm not saying this is NOT manipulated, but I guess I'm saying it is possible to take a shot like that without manipulation.

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

theague
Mr. Monkey Pants!
10,530 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 20, 2007 18:22 |  #34

fyi: you don't need to type in all caps to make a point.

I feel that it does prove my point. There's no arguing that.

- Kody

Learn ­ & ­ Grow
THREAD ­ STARTER
235 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 20, 2007 18:24 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Thank you for all the appreciations. I think as photographers, sometimes we get images that exceed our expectations by complete surprise. For me, this is probably is one of them among few others.

On a side note, it is quite amusing how a some individuals tend to project their suspicions instead of learning and admiring what might have been accomplished by a photographer. Maybe perception is so subjective that one tends to believe what is already in the head. :-) Either way it is entertaining.

EXIF:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 300.0mm
CCD Width: 5.51mm
Exposure Time: 8.000 s
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Manual
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2007 18:32 |  #36

Learn & Grow wrote in post #3973809 (external link)
Thank you for all the appreciations. I think as photographers, sometimes we get images that exceed our expectations by complete surprise. For me, this is probably is one of them among few others.

On a side note, it is quite amusing how a some individuals tend to project their suspicions instead of learning and admiring what might have been accomplished by a photographer. Maybe perception is so subjective that one tends to believe what is already in the head. :-) Either way it is entertaining.

EXIF:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 300.0mm
CCD Width: 5.51mm
Exposure Time: 8.000 s
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Manual
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Yes, I think it says something significant about this image. :)

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2007 18:34 |  #37

theague wrote in post #3973797 (external link)
fyi: you don't need to type in all caps to make a point.

I feel that it does prove my point. There's no arguing that.

Clearly it is arguable, no differently than your insistence (arguing) that this shot is "doctored." :)

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 20, 2007 18:37 |  #38

kenyc wrote in post #3973666 (external link)
George a polarizer simply masks light that is coming from a "different" angle than it is adjusted to. So, yes, it work with reflections from water among other things, like the sky. It depends on the angle of the light beams.

The moon always looks much bigger when it is near the horizon.

KAC

But not this big! Look at it again. And it's not that close to the horizon. I challenge you to take a photo that shows the moon this large in relation to a skyline.

And have you ever used a polariser at night and seen the sky get darker?

Photos from Iceland (external link) | London (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon 24-70mm f/4L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2007 18:53 |  #39

curiousgeorge wrote in post #3973894 (external link)
But not this big! Look at it again. And it's not that close to the horizon. I challenge you to take a photo that shows the moon this large in relation to a skyline.

And have you ever used a polariser at night and seen the sky get darker?

I wasn't even discussing the size of the moon, I was only referring to what a polarizer does to light and reflections from water.

Nor was I talking about the sky getting darker. You asked, "But polarisers only darken the sky when the sun is in the sky, and it's at 90 degrees, don't they?"

It will not make a black sky blacker, or a moon larger :) but it will potentially affect the reflections as I (tried to) explained.

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2007 18:55 |  #40

What city is this?

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,280 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 20, 2007 18:57 |  #41

Okay, the OP already stated he did not manipulate the photo. Continuing to argue the point or badger him is off topic and all those posts will be deleted.

Stay on topic and no further talk of manipulation or 'doctoring'.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2007 18:59 |  #42

Stime187 wrote in post #3973971 (external link)
..Or what caused the reflection to make an "S" at the tip without disturbing any other portion. .... Or what made the water have absolutely no definition, texture, or reflection?

- Scott

I think the "S" is explainable in it being ripples/wave, exactly the thing you are saying it doesn't have otherwise, but I agree the sky is featureless black as is the water other than the reflections. If you look as some of the OP's other postings you'll see this is something of a style thing he is working on and some of the other shots are clearly manipulated (such as the fountain).

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 20, 2007 19:05 |  #43

kenyc wrote in post #3974010 (external link)
I wasn't even discussing the size of the moon

I thought when you said the moon looks bigger near the horizon you were implying the image is relaistic.

Also, the intensity of the reflection matches that of the actual buildings. Does that ever happen?

Photos from Iceland (external link) | London (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon 24-70mm f/4L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

Stime187
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 20, 2007 19:23 |  #44

Maureen Souza wrote in post #3974034 (external link)
Okay, the OP already stated he did not manipulate the photo. Continuing to argue the point or badger him is off topic and all those posts will be deleted.

Stay on topic and no further talk of manipulation or 'doctoring'.

I am curious why only my posts are being deleted? Yes, I'm questioning the authenticity, but is that really a bad thing? The OP has given absolutely no information as to how it was done, only vague responses about us not appreciating his photographic capability.

That alone tells me something is fishy. But I will respect your request and this will be my last post on the subject. Hopefully, this will be allowed to actually stay this time.

Galleries, Workshops, etc - LightOfTheWild.com (external link) | Become a Fan -- Facebook.com/LightOfTh​eWild (external link) | On Twitter -- @LightOfTheWild (external link)

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 20, 2007 19:24 |  #45

Maureen Souza wrote in post #3974034 (external link)
Okay, the OP already stated he did not manipulate the photo. .

When did the OP say that?

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

sponsored links

5,422 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moonrise over my city!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.