Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 20 Sep 2007 (Thursday) 04:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moonrise over my city!

this thread is locked
theague
Mr. Monkey Pants!
10,530 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 20, 2007 19:27 |  #46

Learn & Grow wrote in post #3971593 (external link)
Isn't it interesting how you jump to judge people for their abilities.

To clarify your curiosity, there is no "doctoring" of the image other than resizing and framing (for this wonderful website). To help you learn, a polarizing filter was used to eliminate any glare.

Peace!

P.S.: If you prefer to flame me, please do so privately since I prefer that this board refrains from meaningless personal attacks and insults.

tomd wrote in post #3974241 (external link)
When did the OP say that?

This is essentially where he said it..

i can't believe we're being TOLD to leave this alone. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

- Kody

sponsored links
Stime187
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 20, 2007 19:32 |  #47

theague wrote in post #3974268 (external link)

i can't believe we're being TOLD to leave this alone. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I completely agree. I can't believe we aren't allowed to question the authenticity of a very questionable photograph with no explanation.

- Scott

Galleries, Workshops, etc - LightOfTheWild.com (external link) | Become a Fan -- Facebook.com/LightOfTh​eWild (external link) | On Twitter -- @LightOfTheWild (external link)

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 20, 2007 19:33 |  #48

The moon's apparent motion is about a full-moon's width every 2 minutes so in 8 seconds it will move by 1/15 of its diameter. I already admire the shot so could you let me "learn" how you managed to avoid the apparent motion of the moon while keeping the city so sharp?

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,279 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 20, 2007 19:53 as a reply to  @ tiktaalik's post |  #49

Stime187 wrote in post #3974305 (external link)
I completely agree. I can't believe we aren't allowed to question the authenticity of a very questionable photograph with no explanation.

- Scott

Once the OP stated he did not manipulate the photo, you are not allowed to badger him just because you disagree. If you can keep the conversation polite and not throw out accusations over & over again, I would not have gotten involved here at all.
Please re-read the forum rules about how to conduct yourselves here.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 20, 2007 19:59 |  #50

thanks, I didn't go that far back.

I like the picture.

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,279 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 20, 2007 19:59 |  #51

Stime187 wrote in post #3974305 (external link)

- Scott

That's not your place to do here.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2007 20:16 |  #52

tiktaalik wrote in post #3974319 (external link)
The moon's apparent motion is about a full-moon's width every 2 minutes so in 8 seconds it will move by 1/15 of its diameter. I already admire the shot so could you let me "learn" how you managed to avoid the apparent motion of the moon while keeping the city so sharp?

I'd be interested in learning that myself.

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

theague
Mr. Monkey Pants!
10,530 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 20, 2007 20:26 |  #53

I went and read some of the rules...

quote wrote:
4. (The "don't be a jerk" language)
RULE #1 Have fun!
Rule #s 2-5 See Rule Number 1!!!

6. Though we encourage members to engage in healthy debate, we do not condone personal attacks on members. Ideas can be disputed or challenged, but attacks on a personal level are unacceptable and when they are discovered or brought to the attention of the staff, will be dealt with accordingly. Ideas can be attacked, but individuals cannot.

So apparently it is our place to question according to Pekka... No one here has attacked him personally or his family or his dog...

- Kody

Stime187
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 20, 2007 20:35 |  #54

kenyc wrote in post #3974625 (external link)
I'd be interested in learning that myself.

KAC

There is nothing to learn. Its impossible.

Galleries, Workshops, etc - LightOfTheWild.com (external link) | Become a Fan -- Facebook.com/LightOfTh​eWild (external link) | On Twitter -- @LightOfTheWild (external link)

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2007 20:41 |  #55

theague wrote in post #3974680 (external link)
I went and read some of the rules...

So apparently it is our place to question according to Pekka... No one here has attacked him personally or his family or his dog...

I guess the real question is whether questioning the authenticity is a personal attack or not. I tend to believe not, but if the OP insists it IS authentic then questioning that could be construed to be an attack. I feel however that part of critiquing an image is to critique it's authenticity if that is in doubt. Certainly there is nothing wrong with manipulating images, but it definitely rubs me the wrong way for a manipulated image to be presented as genuine. I think this is particularly true in the Travel and Landscapes forum (certainly moreso than in the Experimental forum).

In any case I see nothing wrong with saying the image looks manipulated and leaving it at that. Continued "badgering" though is not really all right and is certainly not a debate in the sense of the forum guidelines.

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2007 20:43 |  #56

Stime187 wrote in post #3974731 (external link)
There is nothing to learn. Its impossible.

Please let the OP answer that, if you don't mind.

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin

burntpixel
879 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 20, 2007 22:21 |  #57

This has been an amazing thread :)

This is what I have found on moon movement (external link) Pretty tough to pull off an 8 sec shot.

For further learning could we have a little more info from the EXIF data? time? date? etc.?

Matt | Gear | Site (external link) | flick (external link)r | fb (external link) | twitter (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 20, 2007 22:37 |  #58

Ummm why not link to the original raw file? Because i'd surely love to see it. And the OP can prove his point. I am also on the boat that this is doctored. And what city is this in? Perhaps there are other photos out there with moons as big as this?

theague
Mr. Monkey Pants!
10,530 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 20, 2007 23:00 |  #59

kenyc wrote in post #3974769 (external link)
I guess the real question is whether questioning the authenticity is a personal attack or not. I tend to believe not, but if the OP insists it IS authentic then questioning that could be construed to be an attack. I feel however that part of critiquing an image is to critique it's authenticity if that is in doubt. Certainly there is nothing wrong with manipulating images, but it definitely rubs me the wrong way for a manipulated image to be presented as genuine. I think this is particularly true in the Travel and Landscapes forum (certainly moreso than in the Experimental forum).

In any case I see nothing wrong with saying the image looks manipulated and leaving it at that. Continued "badgering" though is not really all right and is certainly not a debate in the sense of the forum guidelines.

KAC

KAC, you have summed up my feelings on the matter precisely and concisely. :)

- Kody

Learn ­ & ­ Grow
THREAD ­ STARTER
235 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 20, 2007 23:08 |  #60
bannedPermanent ban

How did this thread become so off-the-topic beats me. But then it is not my job to change skeptics. Your perception is your belief. Deal with it but also be aware that others may excel you.

As for me, I am not here to argue my point but to learn (and exhibit) what I think is a passion for photography.

P.S.: Following Maureen's guidline, this thread is over as far as I am concerned. For the record, it has been stated earlier the image has been resized and framed but not "doctored".

sponsored links

5,420 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moonrise over my city!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.