Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Sep 2007 (Friday) 22:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

camera setting for Hockey

wpclem
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 21, 2007 22:05 |  #1

I have 30D with 100 x 400 is Zoom. going to hockey game on Sunday Montreal vs Boston. what should be my best setting for my camera.... :confused:

sponsored links
timbop
Goldmember
2,980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 21, 2007 22:08 |  #2

A wider aperture lens, honestly.

Current: 5DM3, 6D, 8mm fish, 24-105/4IS, 35/2IS, 70-200/2.8IS, 85/1.8, 100-400/IS v1, lensbaby composer with edge 80, 580's and AB800's
Formerly: 80D, 7D, 300D, 5D, 5DM2, 20D, 50D, 1DM2, 17-55IS, 24-70/2.8, 28-135IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 70-200/4IS, 70-300IS, 70-200/2.8, 100 macro, 400/5.6, tammy 17-50 and 28-75, sigma 50 macro & 100-300

wpclem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 21, 2007 22:31 as a reply to  @ timbop's post |  #3

My seat is in the upper deck. my other lens is 28 x 135 is canon :oops:

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 21, 2007 23:05 |  #4

Here are a few I took at a local hockey game a while back. These pics were taken with my Digital Rebel (300D) and 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

f/2.8, 1/320

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: BLACKLISTED URL

f/2.8, 1/400
IMAGE NOT FOUND

f/2.8, 1/250
IMAGE NOT FOUND

As you can see, there still is some motion blur at 1/250. If you are shooting at 400mm & f/5.6, you could have trouble getting fast enough shutter speeds. So, I would up your ISO as high as you can live with, set the largest aperture your lens allows, and set a shutter speed of at least 1/250. If the pics come out underexposed, you can always improve them in PP. If you shoot for proper exposure and get a lot of motion blur, no amount of PP will correct that problem.

Blane
Gear List

krepta
I swear I'm Ken Rockwell!
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 22, 2007 00:43 |  #5

wpclem wrote in post #3982083 (external link)
I have 30D with 100 x 400 is Zoom. going to hockey game on Sunday Montreal vs Boston. what should be my best setting for my camera.... :confused:

Are you allowed to bring your SLR inside the arena during an NHL game? I had a small discussion with another member about this:

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=3962256&po​stcount=17
and
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=3969898&po​stcount=22

Let me know if you manage to bring it in!

Alex | flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | Food! (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2007 02:58 |  #6

krepta wrote in post #3982914 (external link)
Are you allowed to bring your SLR inside the arena during an NHL game? I had a small discussion with another member about this:

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=3962256&po​stcount=17
and
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=3969898&po​stcount=22

Let me know if you manage to bring it in!

The NHL needs all the positive "pub" it can get. If they kick about people's cameras, their PR apparatus is even more screwed up than I thought.

This is, after all, a pro sport that has been relagated to a cable channel that is in something along the lines of only 10% of households.

As a life-long Red Wings fan, it just sickens me to see how far off "the radar" hockey has fallen. :evil:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

krepta
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 22, 2007 03:17 |  #7

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #3983247 (external link)
The NHL needs all the positive "pub" it can get. If they kick about people's cameras, their PR apparatus is even more screwed up than I thought.

This is, after all, a pro sport that has been relagated to a cable channel that is in something along the lines of only 10% of households.

As a life-long Red Wings fan, it just sickens me to see how far off "the radar" hockey has fallen. :evil:

Well, as I said in that other thread, I was kindly asked to leave my Rebel XT in the car before entering Honda Center for a Ducks game. I thought at first it was a security thing exclusive to this arena (a few years ago, there were no security screenings at all -- how things have changed). But no SLRs ("large cameras", etc.) as an NHL-wide rule does seem likely.

I wonder if this is the case for basketball, baseball, heck, football? Besides the pro photographers on the sidelines, I am sure fans with SLRs and telephotos are present in NFL stadiums.

Speaking of Red Wings, I was surprised to hear that attendance was not at full capacity for home games in Detroit during the Western Conference Finals.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2007 03:34 |  #8

krepta wrote in post #3983278 (external link)
Well, as I said in that other thread, I was kindly asked to leave my Rebel XT in the car before entering Honda Center for a Ducks game. I thought at first it was a security thing exclusive to this arena (a few years ago, there were no security screenings at all -- how things have changed). But no SLRs ("large cameras", etc.) as an NHL-wide rule does seem likely.

I wonder if this is the case for basketball, baseball, heck, football? Besides the pro photographers on the sidelines, I am sure fans with SLRs and telephotos are present in NFL stadiums.

Speaking of Red Wings, I was surprised to hear that attendance was not at full capacity for home games in Detroit during the Western Conference Finals.

I've done a little research regarding baseball as I wanted to take a dSLR into an Arizona Diamondbacks game a month or so ago.

Seems that (according to team websites) the DBacks are the only NL West team that prohibits them. I sent them an email pointing this out but (of course) never received any reply.

The line between pro and amateur continues to get blurrier and blurrier. While front row (or in front of the front row) access provides the best POV for shooting sports, a "knowledgable" fan with a 20D and a 300 f/4 or 100-400 IS could (potentially) garner some shots that would be saleable. This isn't (IMO) so much a problem for the teams themselves but it would be a problem for properly credentialed "rights holders" who are there for news coverage. Personally, I think this is cr*p because people in the stands aren't shooting and d'loading wirelessly to a laptop like most sports shooters so what's the harm. By the time you or I get home, cull the herd and try to get any agencies to look at what we shot, tomorrows paper is already been put to bed and ready for printing and distribution.

At the very best, you might get a shot worthy of having made into a poster but you're coming out of left field (so to speak) and are up against the shooters from:
- Local Press
- National Press
- National Mags (SI, etc...)
- Team Employed Photogs

.. who are all in the camera wells with MkIIIs and at least 400mm f/2.8 glass. I don't think the teams have that much to worry about.

(Rant Off...sorry...)

As for the RWs attendance, my Motown sources tell me that three main things conspired against getting SRO crowds at "The Joe":
- Tigers were going well early
- Fairly agreeable late spring weather (or so I'm told...)
- People didn't want to spend good money to watch them get bounced in the first round (again...) :cry:

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

krepta
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 22, 2007 03:55 |  #9

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #3983303 (external link)
The line between pro and amateur continues to get blurrier and blurrier [...]

I completely agree with you. As you pointed out, that the leagues (and other rights holders, press, and so on) want to protect their images is more an excuse than a truly justifiable concern. Another one I thought of was protecting other fans, as in if a person brings in a large super-telephoto, it might get in the way or in the view of those sitting next to him. But that would be an obvious at the entrance, and I don't see how a smaller telephoto zoom (like the 70-200, say), let alone the camera itself, could be such a detriment.

It's good to hear only one team in baseball prohibits dSLRs. I would guess that larger open air venues, in the case of baseball and football, are more accommodating than the enclosed arenas and courts of hockey and basketball. At least I am happy there is no such problem at ATP and WTA tournaments. Heck, we can even get up close and shoot the players at the practice courts. But I guess that is different than franchise-based professional leagues.

I think the Tigers may have stolen the majority of the RW's loyals.

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 22, 2007 07:38 as a reply to  @ krepta's post |  #10

I went to the Blue Jays/Red Sox game this past Tuesday at the Skydome in TO and had no issues walking in with my 30D and 70-200 lens. Got some pretty good pictures as well. :) I was also able to bring it to a Carolina Hurricanes home game in January and had no issues there either. Depends on the team/arena mostly I suppose.

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

timbop
Goldmember
2,980 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 22, 2007 07:40 |  #11

In Philly, you can only bring lenses of 2" or shorter into the Wachovia center (hockey or bball) - but AFAIK there are no restrictions on the phillies games. The yankees allow any size lens, but you are not allowed to use a lens longer than 4" when sitting in your seats because of the nuisance to others. You can move to certain spots to use longer lenses than 4".

It makes you wonder what the flyers are thinking - I am pretty certain that pictures of the Yankees would have better resale value.

Current: 5DM3, 6D, 8mm fish, 24-105/4IS, 35/2IS, 70-200/2.8IS, 85/1.8, 100-400/IS v1, lensbaby composer with edge 80, 580's and AB800's
Formerly: 80D, 7D, 300D, 5D, 5DM2, 20D, 50D, 1DM2, 17-55IS, 24-70/2.8, 28-135IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 70-200/4IS, 70-300IS, 70-200/2.8, 100 macro, 400/5.6, tammy 17-50 and 28-75, sigma 50 macro & 100-300

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 22, 2007 08:03 |  #12

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #3983247 (external link)

What's hockey?  :p:p:p:p

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

JDM ­ EG6
43 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 22, 2007 09:28 |  #13

Same deal with me and the Ottawa Sens's. I had my low pro back pack, he asked me to open it and he laughed. He said all your stuff is way to big. I laughed back saying, THis lens is a 10-20 and its longer then 4". What the hell do you expect me to catch with it. I then said I can buy a pos 70-300 lens under 4" or I have my 70-200 which is huge. hje knew **** about cameras. Didnt let me bring in my 70-200 but WOW, I got to use my 24-60, woo woo LOL.

none the less, I got amazing shots at 2.8, 800iso, dead spot on!

40D, canon 50mm 1.8, sigma 70-200mm 2.8, sigma 24-60mm 2.8, sigma 10-20mm, lowpro, manfrotto, The ony way to go!

krepta
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 22, 2007 15:06 |  #14

timbop wrote in post #3983767 (external link)
It makes you wonder what the flyers are thinking - I am pretty certain that pictures of the Yankees would have better resale value.

Yeah, especially with the Flyer's horrible last season. I hope they will return to form this season.

nhbeast, timbop, and JDM, the three of you are at least fortunate that your local teams allow you to bring something in! I have to settle for P&S (or cell phone, I guess) if I want to take any photos, but that is really not worth it.

JDM, did you attend any of the Sen's games in the Finals? It was a heck of a series!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2007 15:12 |  #15

krepta wrote in post #3983330 (external link)
I completely agree with you. As you pointed out, that the leagues (and other rights holders, press, and so on) want to protect their images is more an excuse than a truly justifiable concern. Another one I thought of was protecting other fans, as in if a person brings in a large super-telephoto, it might get in the way or in the view of those sitting next to him. But that would be an obvious at the entrance, and I don't see how a smaller telephoto zoom (like the 70-200, say), let alone the camera itself, could be such a detriment.

It's good to hear only one team in baseball prohibits dSLRs. I would guess that larger open air venues, in the case of baseball and football, are more accommodating than the enclosed arenas and courts of hockey and basketball. At least I am happy there is no such problem at ATP and WTA tournaments. Heck, we can even get up close and shoot the players at the practice courts. But I guess that is different than franchise-based professional leagues.

I think the Tigers may have stolen the majority of the RW's loyals.

Just to be clear, my research was limited to ONLY the NL West and the DBacks were the only team in the NL West that prohibited "Pro Quality" equipment.

As for the rest of MLB, YMMV...

Jay

sponsored links

4,213 views & 0 likes for this thread
camera setting for Hockey
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.