Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 19 Sep 2007 (Wednesday) 11:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going to an air show and thinking about renting a few lenses.

sugarzebra
Cream of the Crop
9,289 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 20, 2007 10:38 |  #16

If you are going to rent two lenses I would get the 100-400 & the 400 f/5.6 Then you both get to try both lenses which would make future purchasing decisions much easier. They are both excellent lenses.

Scott

Website & Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 20, 2007 10:40 |  #17

Actually, that's a good point if you're renting. While I don't recommend the 400/5.6L for airshow use, if I was renting I wouldn't mind trying it for a day. I can always fall back on the zooms if I need to.

markol
841 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2007 12:55 |  #18

We had a person rent a 500 f4 IS for an air show last week. He claimed that the 500mm was a little too long.

I would recommend going with a 100-400mm or the 300mm f2.8 IS. It's heavy, but not prohibitively so if you have some arm strength and take breaks.

www.borrowlenses.com (external link)

spectre
825 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 23, 2007 12:52 as a reply to  @ markol's post |  #19

I am in the same situation. I have very limited funds (Yeah, who doesn't)

I love aviation photography and want to hit as many planes as I can...but has to be multi purposed do to being dirt poor.

Lens combos for air shows and other things.

100-400L IS
or
70-200 (in either the 2.8/or 4)L paired with a 1.4xTC
or
70-200 (in either the 2.8/or 4)L IS paired with a 1.4x TC

right now I only have a 75-300 4-5.6 II (I can't wait to get rid of this lens)
and a 28-80 3.5-5.6 II (I feel the same about this lens as I do the 75-300 II )

I will be adding a 50MM 1.8 here in a few days.

I am leaning toward the 100-400L for just that little bit extra reach...but to be honest...most of my pictures will not be aviation, as much as I would like them to be.

Todd M. Allen TacAir Photography (external link)
"you've never lived, until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know"
My Gear

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 23, 2007 19:55 |  #20

spectre wrote in post #3990563 (external link)
I am in the same situation. I have very limited funds (Yeah, who doesn't)

I love aviation photography and want to hit as many planes as I can...but has to be multi purposed do to being dirt poor.

Lens combos for air shows and other things.

100-400L IS
or
70-200 (in either the 2.8/or 4)L paired with a 1.4xTC
or
70-200 (in either the 2.8/or 4)L IS paired with a 1.4x TC

right now I only have a 75-300 4-5.6 II (I can't wait to get rid of this lens)
and a 28-80 3.5-5.6 II (I feel the same about this lens as I do the 75-300 II )

I will be adding a 50MM 1.8 here in a few days.

I am leaning toward the 100-400L for just that little bit extra reach...but to be honest...most of my pictures will not be aviation, as much as I would like them to be.

Personally, I'd go for the 100-400. It's my go-everywhere-do-everything telephoto in daylight. Animals, birds, aircraft, even portraits (though they **** and whine about how the 1-4 can't do portraits). Much as I'd like to I don't seem to find much use for a 70-200 zoom at all. My f/4 IS ends up idling most of the time..

Super-Nicko
Goldmember
1,652 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 23, 2007 20:54 |  #21

Just got the 100-400 and as previously mentioned - go play with it before you go... id even say try some birds in flight- non mechanical ones.. at a pond... just to practice getting your flying exposures right... you cant really get away with automatic metering mid air... need to work manual and be quick to adjust as required as to not keep exposing for the sky. Keep up the shutterspeed and go for it.. enjoy.. here in Western Australia we dont get much in the way of airshows....

My gallery - just posted some of my top shots (external link)
1DmkIII / 5DMKII [50mm f1.4] [85mm f1.8] [100mm f2.8 MACRO] [17-40mm f/4L] [24-70mm f/2.8L USM] [24-105mm f/4L IS USM] [COLOR=black][COLOR=bl​ack][[COLOR=black]100-400mm f/4.5-f 5.6L IS USM] Canon 1.4xII - Speedlite 580EXII - EPSON P-5000 - Lowepro Bags - Manfrotto 682B Monopod & 055XproB Tripod - 488RC2

sponsored links

3,079 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going to an air show and thinking about renting a few lenses.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.