Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 25 Sep 2007 (Tuesday) 09:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

i got published in today's Boston Globe!

Photodawg1
Goldmember
3,059 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 26, 2007 03:41 |  #16

Is the digimarc expensive? I sent them an email, but would like to hear more from people who use them.

http://www.lindasiadys​.com (external link)

sponsored links
Grey56
158 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 26, 2007 14:51 as a reply to  @ Photodawg1's post |  #17

This happened to me too. Same paper. Weird huh. I didn't do anything about it, never followed up, etc. It was a pic of the Goo Goo Dolls, and a good one, at that! I never shared the photos with the band, so the Globe didn't get it through them.... Good luck with your ordeal.

Jennifer
www.karindailey.com (external link)

10D, backup 10D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 18-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, 50/1.4, 100/2, 70-200/2.8IS, 430EX

Photodawg1
Goldmember
3,059 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 26, 2007 15:39 |  #18

Okay, Now I know how expensive they are...How many people use them. How does it work, you get an alert if someone copies or saves your photo and you what a. go beat them up or b. sue them or c.What? I would like to hear some stories from people who have used this.

http://www.lindasiadys​.com (external link)

shkspr
116 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 27, 2007 10:37 |  #19

when ever i send pics to a band, i burn a folder onto the disc with ©info & how to contact. i also include very specific use rights. i state 'web use ONLY. not fpr publication, print or distribution.'

i also send a printed letter stating the same.

another point i've run across. when you give permission to a paper to run the pic, explicitly tell them that they CANNOT distribute copies. i had a shot published, the paper only paid $20, & then they sold several copies at $10 each copy.........

contact the band & let them know...
tim

www.tjsphotographic.co​m (external link) http://shkspr.devianta​rt.com/ (external link) www.tjsphotographic.ze​nfolio.com (external link)

thebrewer
786 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 27, 2007 11:23 |  #20

Looks like they are selling reprints of your work.

http://www.globereprin​ts.com/ (external link)

To speak with a Boston Globe permissions representative, please call 1-888-665-2667. Please be aware that photocopying or republishing any copyrighted material without permission is prohibited by law.

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,662 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 27, 2007 11:53 |  #21

i'm not too worried about the reprints...they seem more focused on areas like restaurants wanting to hang a Globe review in their building. can't imagine that people order reprints of live show reviews.

that photo was printed from a jpg anyway, not a high-res/full-sized TIFF file.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

stasber
160 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 27, 2007 11:57 as a reply to  @ thebrewer's post |  #22

Very interesting thread - thank you for sharing! congratulations and commiserations and all that confusing stuff!

I was published one time*, it was for free and the paper was in another part of the country, so contact was by email/phone. The guy was very responsive and open to organizing everything and we arranged him to mail me a copy of the issue. It was for the entertainment listings featuring the main gig of the week. That was the last time I heard from him. Emails, phone calls all went unanswered after publication date. And nothing came through for me in the post.

*apparently ;)

I'm constantly learning about all this stuff too.

I learned, for example, that a media will accept both free pics and spec pics; free ones being ones they won't pay you for, and spec pics where they are expected to pay. The main difference being, that if a client pays you (i.e. money is exchanged) for taking the photo (however little it is), then the media is not obliged to pay. They are unlikely to find out unless it's a well publicized event or they have their sniffers out, so blagging is up to you ;)

I'm using Lightroom more and more, partly due to it's DAM and metadata handling (which I think is pretty good). When submitting to media I have a specific template which contains all the elements I need to make sure they don't misunderstand my intentions. I have in fact 2 templates, one for spec pics and one for free pics. The copyright field usually contains something like 'single repro, no reuse, no resale'. As time goes on I update the templates with clearer terms or different terms accordingly. I keep a text file of scribbles for wording of terms and copyright type of things, and include a text file with terms & contact details with every picture cd I issue. Wording gets updated per above..

What this thread is prompting me about is reviewing my initial dealings with a band or client. It's so easy at the time to say sure have some pics for your web site, thanks man here's a free cd for you, as everyone's just enjoyed a good gig and you don't feel like hammering down the nitty gritty terms; but it's these 'what if' scenarios that make me think... follow it up, it HAS to be done, every time, like clockwork. Think it through and keep sharpening your tools, be prepared for that 'what if'. Nowadays I say I'll get back to them with pics and we'll sort out terms & stuff like that. They usually say 'oh..err, OK' the first time around.

Best of luck.

"David, what musical instrument do you play?" "I play the Hasselblad!" (David Redfern)

Reefbone
929 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 27, 2007 12:26 as a reply to  @ stasber's post |  #23

How did you happen to catch your photo in the first place?

?

Rebel XT, EF-S 17-55IS f/2.8, EF-S 17-85IS f/4-5.6, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX, Manfrotto Anchor, I9900

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death" - Stephen Colbert

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,662 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 27, 2007 13:06 |  #24

Reefbone wrote in post #4019290 (external link)
How did you happen to catch your photo in the first place?

?

i'm a Globe subscriber, and when i read the article and saw the photo, i immediately recognized it as my own. it's funny, i have a good memory of shots i've taken; i found a band using a photo of mine as their myspace lead photo, one which i never gave them but believe they grabbed from this very forum. they did take it down when i asked about it (actually, i was willing to swap a list spot for their local show in exchange for photo use, but they (amazingly enough, i thought) declined).

stasber, you raise excellent points about specifying usage rights up front, and using the IPTC metadata accordingly.

valerie, i've found that bridge in CS 3 makes it easy to create and append ITPC metadata as a template. it's more intuitive than CS 2.

gear list

kpiela
Goldmember
1,426 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 27, 2007 13:16 |  #25

Congrats! Great photos and a great band. Funny to see this thread and photo of Bob Weston... old friend I dated ages ago! If you shoot the Boston band scene, happen to know my brother's band, Buffalo Tom?? :)

5D Markii, 50D and 20D 70-200 f/2.8L, 50mm 1.2L Tokina 10-17, 200 f2.8, Canon 28-135mm 580ex
www.CrimsonShutter.com (external link)
https://twitter.com/Cr​imson_Kris (external link)

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,662 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 27, 2007 13:20 |  #26

of course i know Buffalo Tom (though i've not seen them in ages; maybe i'll catch the Somerville Theater show which is coming up). are you a Janowitz? i've even got a Cold Water Flat 7" in my collection somewhere :D

gear list

kpiela
Goldmember
1,426 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 27, 2007 13:24 |  #27

narlus wrote in post #4019622 (external link)
of course i know Buffalo Tom (though i've not seen them in ages; maybe i'll catch the Somerville Theater show which is coming up). are you a Janowitz? i've even got a Cold Water Flat 7" in my collection somewhere :D

I am a JanoVitz ;)... I haven't seen them in ages either! I suspect moving to Georgia will prohibit me from seeing them anytime soon. Bill and Paul (now a photographer) are my older brothers and Scott (The Great Bandini, Dragstrip Courage, plays w/Jake Brennan, etc) is my younger brother. There is a fourth brother Tom, my youngest, also a musician in Boston.

:)

5D Markii, 50D and 20D 70-200 f/2.8L, 50mm 1.2L Tokina 10-17, 200 f2.8, Canon 28-135mm 580ex
www.CrimsonShutter.com (external link)
https://twitter.com/Cr​imson_Kris (external link)

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 28, 2007 02:36 |  #28

There is
also no electronic trail attached to the photo.

what does this mean?

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,662 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 28, 2007 05:55 |  #29

Kristine, sorry about the 'V' and 'W' mixup, doh!!!

azpix, i am guessing they were referring to the lack of embedded IPTC metadata, stating copyright info.

gear list

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 28, 2007 08:50 |  #30

johnstoy wrote in post #4003689 (external link)
Congrats on your great pic... Maybe we should watermark all of our stuff?

Since they consider it a "File Photo"... The Globe should do a correction in an upcoming issue and give you credit for the error... Contact them... and send a copy by Email... I'd ask them for a photog. job deal, while at it too.

I didn't read everything but.....

Actually no photo credit is due. Narlus was compensated for the images (even though it was not much, a signed CD in exchange for the images). Now that the band has the images they can use them pretty much as they see fit.

If someone gives us an image to use in the magazine we have no idea who the photographer is, we put "photo provided by" as photo credit. We actually don't have to do that.

Just like when I do commercial photography and someone pays me and they get images I don't ever expect to see photo credit when they use the image somewhere. I don't expect to either.

Now if I'm shooting for editorial purposes and that is the reason I'm there and a publisher has asked to use my images then yes I better get photo credit.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links

7,069 views & 0 likes for this thread
i got published in today's Boston Globe!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.