Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Sep 2007 (Thursday) 16:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you sharpen ALL the time when post processing?

jtown
228 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 27, 2007 16:16 |  #1

I'm fairly new to shooting RAW and the DSLR world and I was wondering if you ALWAYS apply some sort of sharpening (assuming it makes the image look better) to your images. It seems like upping the sharpness (at least on my last shoot) made all my images look significantly better.

sponsored links
sdmaker
421 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 27, 2007 16:20 |  #2

I do.

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,336 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Sep 27, 2007 16:29 |  #3

if you shoot RAW a little sharpening always helps :)

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 27, 2007 16:29 |  #4

If its worth spending time on, yes, always.

I start by sharpening in DPP, when converting the RAW file to TIFF, then whatever else I do, I'll sharpen again prior to printing, based on finished print size (or to be more precise - based on print resolution). So its twice minimum, possibly more if I need to mid session.

Richard

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

ghosh
874 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 27, 2007 17:16 |  #5

i do not always. I use L series lens. Pictures are it self awesome sharp. If at all I do then usually after I have fixed the size of the image.

#include <iostream>
int main() {
std::cout << "POTN is the best." << std::endl;
return 0; }

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 27, 2007 17:59 |  #6

http://ronbigelow.com …les/sharpen1/sh​arpen1.htm (external link)

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

toneyw
376 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 27, 2007 18:09 |  #7

Everything in moderation. . .

Canon 30D Gripped
EF 70-200 2.8L IS
EFS 17-55 2.8 IS
Speedlight 430EX
055XPROB w/ 488 RC2 Head

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 27, 2007 18:31 |  #8

My RAW convertor (ACR) applies a little sharpening by default, I don't usually sharpen any more than that.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,692 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 27, 2007 19:12 |  #9

Yes, I always sharpen. I don't care how good your lens is.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Geo
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 27, 2007 19:45 |  #10

Nice link, thank for sharing.

flickr (external link) FACEBOOK (external link) Canon EOS 5D mark II, Canon EOS 7D,Lens: Canon 24-70 mm 2.8 L, 85 mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.8 Canon 70-200 mm 2.8 [COLOR=Red]L IS[COLOR=Black], Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 , 16-35mm 2.8LII-Flash: Canon 430 EX, 580 EX II, Extender EF 2X II, and much more stuff.
In his own words, "I don't photographer the world as it is. I photographer the world as I would like it to be." Monte Zucker.

jtown
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 27, 2007 20:14 |  #11

Ah ok. So I wasn't just amazed at what the post processing sharpening can do. Of course I didn't blast it up to full, but whatever I think fit the scene.

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 27, 2007 21:42 |  #12

I created a droplet in CS3 so when I export my pictures from Lightroom all the pictures go thru a sharpening Action.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

cricketboy75
665 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 27, 2007 21:46 |  #13

i try to be selective, but sometimes it just gets too time consuming so i just wind up sharpening everything. i find that unless you have a really sharp lens, like an L series canon, then generally Canon SLRs produce pics which are on the softer side. that means that it's probably pretty safe just to sharpen all pics if you want to save time.

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 27, 2007 21:59 |  #14

Any image that is resized for posting on the web will need post process sharpening.

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 28, 2007 09:16 |  #15

Digital images inherently need sharpening because of the way the sensor sees the world. When there is a transition from dark to light or "an edge" the processor will create an interim shade along that line. Sharpening resolves this problem.
My favorite is high pass in photoshop. After you sharpen you can adjust the opacity of the layer so that you get exactly the amount of sharpening you would like.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

sponsored links

1,981 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you sharpen ALL the time when post processing?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.