Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Oct 2007 (Monday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 03, 2007 11:57 |  #16

Am I still the only one in the heart of competition season? Have not see any other posts.

sponsored links
robtraci
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 03, 2007 12:42 |  #17

I'm in awe over these photos. I just purchased a 40d in hopes of taking some photos of my girls tumbling. They do competitive cheer not gymnastics but facing the same problems as some of you..poor lighting at competitions! I also have those other 29 girls on the same floor getting in my way of taking the photos! You would think they would help me out since I'm such a newbie!
I hope to be taking some photos of my friends daughter at her gymnastics meets this year. So far, I haven't gotten any decent photos at the gym. I know it's all me not the camera.
What lens are you using most? If I was going to buy one lens for this sport, what would you suggest (keeping the expense of the lens in mind)?

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 03, 2007 12:58 |  #18

Rob,

The lens will be the most important purchase for this environment. I see an awful lot of slow lenses at the meets and people wondering why they do not get good results. My lens of choice is the 85mm f.8 lens, which all of these were taken with. You can pick one of these up for around $350-400. Another option is the 50mm f1.8 that you can pick up for about $100. With both of these position will mean everything and you have to master the sneaker zoom, meaning always trying to find the best possible position to shoot from. In a lot of cases you may find that you do not have enough reach. It is a rare occasion that I am not cropping the images out of the camera to provide a tighter and less cluttered image. If money is no object then there are other lenses that can get you closer.

If you are new to this arena then I think reading through this link will server you well in getting your technique down. Others found it very helpful.

https://photography-on-the.net …2894&highlight=​gymnastics

Welcome to our little group and keep posting!

robtraci
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 03, 2007 13:13 |  #19

fugfuggy,

Thanks for the insight. Very new not only to taking these types of photos but to taking any photos, so everything is very valueable information to me. I've looked at either the 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, and the 100mm f/2.0 as a future purchase (man, this hobby is costly) but I'm not sure what would be best. I like the cost of the 50mm but I hate to run out and buy it and then wish I would have spent the extra money and bought a different one. What would be really helpful was if our practice gym had wireless access and I could be surfing this sight while I was taking photos. Then I could read through the tips and such when I'm there trying to get som good photos. At least our gym does have some sympathy for me and did let me come into practice and shoot. I can't imagine going to our first competition and not having tried a couple of times!
BTW..I'm Traci. Rob (hubby) is the guy who is financing my endevor into photography so I gave him first spot on the user name.

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 03, 2007 13:18 |  #20

fugfuggy wrote in post #4056577 (external link)
Am I still the only one in the heart of competition season? Have not see any other posts.

I know my daughter's first meet isn't until December. However, her gym doesn't usually compete the Fall meets, just Winter and Spring. Here in CT, their meet season really begins this weekend (Oct. 5-6) for the larger meets (Invitationals, etc.). Last year I shot meets with my 350D, but have since gotten my 30D so I am looking forward to it!

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 03, 2007 13:30 as a reply to  @ nhbeast's post |  #21

Here's a couple I took in June at the CT Prep-Op State Cup.
C&C is Welcome!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 03, 2007 13:31 as a reply to  @ nhbeast's post |  #22

...and 2 more.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

-Gregg
===============

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 03, 2007 13:45 |  #23

dharmon wrote in post #4052834 (external link)
Hi all,

This is my gymbugs first yr competing @ level 3 and Her coach has just requested that we travel to San Diego in Jan. for the national judges cup.
This trip will cost between $3-4k. and require 2-3 days of missed school. Now, I'm wondering does this make sense for a 7yr old ? Just trying to get some input from some of you that have "been there, done that"

Any thoughts?

Level 3?! Our local clubs do not even go to nationals unless you are in level 6 or higher.

Level 3 & 4 are for figuring out if they like the sport or not. Spending that kind of cash and that time commitment would seem pre-mature at level 3 IMHO.

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 03, 2007 13:45 |  #24

Gregg,

Love the shot with the girl laying on the beam! They are all very well exposed (big challenge) and all look pretty sharp.

Here are a couple of things that I ALWAYS consider when composing the image. First, the rule of thirds will really help your images. Example, in number 2, put her on the right side of the frame to give her some space where she is looking, same with the last one, more space on top. When shooting landscapes one of the most fundamental rules is to have straight horizons. Same applies here. I really think a crooked image that is easily fixed takes away from the quality of an image. Example, in number 2 the horizon would be the top of the window frames.

One thing that you do well is fill the frame and crop out a lot of clutter. Keep it up!

kpsack
22 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 03, 2007 14:01 |  #25

Hey there! I'm back. Thanks to Fugfuggy for tracking me down. Things in the off-season have been a little nuts. Coaching changes abounded in our gym but my daughter seems to be adjusting well. I spent most of the summer shooting pics of soccer (my son), swimming (my son) , and my new nephew. I was really pleased with the results of the swimming pics as were the rest of the parents. Now, I am back to gym season. As I told Fugfuggy, our 1st meet was the past weekend. She competed Level 6 (2nd place AA, 1st on vault) but my pics were terrible. Most of them were blurry. I used the 85mm, 1.8 and had pretty decent lighting. It is a small gym so I was right on top of floor but spaced pretty well from everything else. I shot in the AV capture mode on a Rebel XTI. Any ideas?

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 03, 2007 14:07 |  #26

HaHa,

I drug another one back into the fold for added female representation :P

Kapsack,

can you post your Exif info and maybe an example pic? And, how about your thinking process for shooting in AV mode? Any post processing done?

Congrats to your daughter for her great showing at her first level 6 meet! You must be proud! Several of us feel your pain with the coaching changes. Our gym went through a political meltdown over the summer but seems to have stabilized very nicely. My little monkey has been doing very well with a couple of first place AA, a couple top 3, and a lot of medals on beam and floor. Those darn bars are still her nemesis!

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 03, 2007 14:08 |  #27

Gregg: The beam shot is first rate...nice shot....

My season does not start for awhile yet.

The tighter crops is something I really have come to like. Although I did not employ it last year, I will this year...I shot some softball with the unconventional tight crop and the results were intriguing...results from one session are here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=329602

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 03, 2007 14:12 as a reply to  @ GBRandy's post |  #28

Randy,

Those are some nice softball shots! I am a bit proponent of tight cropping and facial expressions, especially for our precious little gymnast who have the most adorable tendencies. It is one of the things that I enjoy most about shooting our girls cause when I am working on all of the pictures I feel like I know them a bit more than the other parents, feel more connected, you know?

kpsack
22 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 03, 2007 14:19 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #29

How do I post the Exif info?

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 03, 2007 14:29 as a reply to  @ kpsack's post |  #30

do you know how to get to it? Really all we need is iso #, shutter speed. We already know that you were shooting at f 1.8, or were you? Do you have your lens locked at f 1.8? And your focal length is 85mm.

But, if you do not have an exif reader you should get one. I use opanda, it is powerful and free. It also let's you look at Exif data of other images posted on the web, if it is included with the file.

sponsored links

115,297 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.