Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Oct 2007 (Thursday) 14:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D Problems

SilverOnemi
692 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 04, 2007 14:34 |  #1

Alright i got my baby today, and since i've wasted alot of time reading 40D problems threads, i' decided to test my 40D, here are the results.

i suspect the mirror going up and down causes vibrations and it gets soft pics, so i decided to test it ;).i picked up my tripod, focused ONCE, and then set it to manual for both pics, i was also using timer on these.

fulll picture with mirror lockup

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

File name
IMG_0308.CR2
Camera Model Name
Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Date/Time
04-09-2007 18:34:51
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/160Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F4.0
Metering Modes
Partial metering
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Focal Length
192,0 mm

this shot is without mirror lockup-

IMAGE NOT FOUND

and this is mirror lock up

IMAGE NOT FOUND

since it's already night i did another test with my 50 1.4 at 2.0 in my office, with tripod ofcourse

File name
IMG_0328.CR2
Camera Model Name
Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Date/Time
04-09-2007 19:54:46
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/60Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F2.0
Metering Modes
Evaluative metering
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
EF50mm f/1.4 USM
Focal Length
50,0 mm

so here is full *mirror lock* pic

IMAGE NOT FOUND

again no mirror lock up

IMAGE NOT FOUND

and mirror lock up

IMAGE NOT FOUND

again with TIMER.

gripped 7D/40D | 70-200 F4 L IS | 50 1.4 USM | wigma 10 20 | tamron 17 50 | canon 1.4 TC
Metz 58 AF | 580EX II [COLOR=Red]| [COLOR=black]Flash off-camera shoe cord OC-E3 |
Beginner Photographer
Apple's Macbook :D
See my Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
SilverOnemi
THREAD ­ STARTER
692 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 04, 2007 14:39 |  #2

here's my contribution of iso 3200, no NR nothing... just converted from RAW, i even croped all of these in DPP.

full pic

IMAGE NOT FOUND

100 crops

IMAGE NOT FOUND

again 40D is not much diferent from any other canon DSLR.

althought i got a new body , i still have exacly the same hot/dead pixels... but in another place.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

funy it looks like an X.

i won't be able to make more tests becouse in the next 3 days i'll have races here...

gripped 7D/40D | 70-200 F4 L IS | 50 1.4 USM | wigma 10 20 | tamron 17 50 | canon 1.4 TC
Metz 58 AF | 580EX II [COLOR=Red]| [COLOR=black]Flash off-camera shoe cord OC-E3 |
Beginner Photographer

JackProton
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 04, 2007 15:02 |  #3

Nice -- a very useful exploration of mirror-lock! Now you make me wonder if the IS would helps at all to suppress mirror-slap.

Sauk
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 04, 2007 15:09 |  #4

what does mirror lock do? Sorry if that is a dumb question. How do you enable it

Nikon D700 D3s | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

SilverOnemi
THREAD ­ STARTER
692 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 04, 2007 15:15 |  #5

my 70 200 L IS has tipod dectection and i did tests with it on / off on my 350D, and i saw no diference, and here i see exacly the same... it doesnt supress shake at all.

ok so when you peek into the viewfinder or "hole" and u see the picture, you're looking a mirror, and when u shoot, the mirror gets up ( so the viewfinder gets dark ), and back down.

to enable it go custom functions C.fN III : autofocus / drives function 7, if you put enable, when you press the shuter button the mirror will go up, and when u press it again it will take the picture and come back down.

Beginner Photographer

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 04, 2007 15:18 |  #6

AthleticsPhotog wrote in post #4064278 (external link)
what does mirror lock do? Sorry if that is a dumb question. How do you enable it

Flips the mirror up prior to a shot well before the shutter opens for the purpose of reducing vibration (causing motion blur).

You can enable it via Custom Functions. I don't own a Mark III or 40D, but you can also use Live View as a means to trigger MLU.

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties.....​... Inventor Great POTN Photo Book
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 04, 2007 15:19 |  #7

Thanks! Do us all a favor and perform the mirror lock-up vs. no mirror lock-up test with the 10/20/30D, 5D, and 1D series and report back.

~Spaceships Don't Come Equipped With Rear View Mirrors~
http://www.myspace.com​/chocolate_thai (external link)

vdao1972
212 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 04, 2007 15:26 |  #8

Mirror lockup is the process of flipping up the mirror which is located just in front of the sensor. When an SLR takes a photo, the mirror (which allows the photographer to view what image the lens is taking) flips up and the shutter opens allowing the image to be taken. When the mirror flips up, it causes a bit of vibration. This vibration is unnoticeable at higher shutter speeds but at lower shutter speeds can cause the image to be blurry.
The mirror lockup function flips the mirror up when the shutter button is pressed down. The photographer then depresses the shutter button to take the actual shot. This will reduce vibration on the camera. The downside is that the photographer cannot see what he/she is shooting because the mirror is flipped up.
The mirror lockup function is under CFN III on your 40D.

GEAR
blind eye productions (external link)

SilverOnemi
THREAD ­ STARTER
692 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 04, 2007 15:28 |  #9

Lord_Malone wrote in post #4064352 (external link)
Thanks! Do us all a favor and perform the mirror lock-up vs. no mirror lock-up test with the 10/20/30D, 5D, and 1D series and report back.

so you are stating that it's completely normal to have shacky/blurry shots ?
this is not aceptable at all...

these weren't 30 seconds exposure's

from my experience with the 350D, this has never happened to me, neither on my friends nikon d200 and 5D...

and from here : http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_40D​.html (external link)

northlight-images.co.uk wrote:
29th September Is there a 'vibration problem' with some 40Ds?
It's just I received a report of some 40Ds having a problem sometimes after pressing the shutter release. This came from Japan and appears to have lost quite a bit in translation, so if anyone has any additional info I'd welcome an email?
From the report I had it seems Canon replaced faulty items pretty quickly, but the whole report was sufficiently vague that I can't be sure what it's about?? ;-)a"

you feel pretty secure with your 40D, since you're OK with a dead pixel on the LCD screen, and who knows what else.

Beginner Photographer

farrukh
Goldmember
1,969 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 04, 2007 15:32 |  #10

Lord_Malone wrote in post #4064352 (external link)

Malone, still justifying your 40d purchase? hows your 50L doing BTW? ;)

5D Mark II + 40D | Lenses: Sigma 150-500mm BigmOS / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Canon 70-200 F4L IS / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Sigma Macro 70mm f/2.8 EX / Sigma 10-20mm EX / Canon 50mm f/1.8 II / Sigma 1.4x APO TC / Kenko 2x PRO300 DG. Lighting: Canon 580EX II + Metz 58 AF-1 + Sunpak 383...
Flickr (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 04, 2007 15:37 |  #11

Sounds like experminter bias to me. I heard there was a problem and went looking for it. Hmmmmm.

GEAR LIST

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 04, 2007 15:51 |  #12

SilverOnemi wrote in post #4064417 (external link)

Mirror lockup is a pretty standard practice for tripod use.

these weren't 30 seconds exposure's

30 second exposures won't show mirror slap fuzziness. The amount of time the camera is shaking is a tiny fraction of the total exposure time. In a short exposure, that fraction is much larger.

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties.....​... Inventor Great POTN Photo Book
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 04, 2007 15:51 |  #13

SilverOnemi wrote in post #4064417 (external link)

I'm saying you can find something wrong with anything if you look hard enough. Sad but true. Your test doesn't prove anything we don't already know. MLU reduces shake. And?

farrukh wrote in post #4064433 (external link)
Malone, still justifying your 40d purchase? hows your 50L doing BTW? ;)

Of course. How else will I be able to make myself feel good about spending my money on inferior equipment? The 50L is in the loving hands of a fellow board member and is doing just fine. ;)

Unlike some people, you can go back and view images I've posted and see that most of them, with the exception of a few, are what I create with these so-called "not acceptable" tools. I let my images speak for themselves, and I'm not talking about pictures of rulers, newspaper articles and Canon boxes. ;) I guess this means I'm content with mediocracy.

~Spaceships Don't Come Equipped With Rear View Mirrors~
http://www.myspace.com​/chocolate_thai (external link)

Sauk
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 04, 2007 15:55 as a reply to  @ Lord_Malone's post |  #14

Cool, thanks for the information!

Nikon D700 D3s | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

SilverOnemi
THREAD ­ STARTER
692 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 04, 2007 15:56 |  #15

Lord_Malone wrote in post #4064549 (external link)
I'm saying you can find something wrong with anything if you look hard enough. Sad but true. Your test doesn't prove anything we don't already know. MLU reduces shake. And?

yes that's why 30D is sharper than some 40D's.

one of those problems is Right on this thread:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=385800

Beginner Photographer

sponsored links

16,587 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D Problems
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.