Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 08 Oct 2007 (Monday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

one lens ONLY

titan307
105 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 08, 2007 09:24 |  #1

alright your shooting a wedding in a church, low lights, you are not allowed to be on the pulpit during the cermony but are allowed to be off to the sides.
24-70f2.8L or 70-200f2.8L non IS or 70-200f4L which wold you keep. you are also going to have to do some portrait work with same lens.

sponsored links
Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 08, 2007 09:36 |  #2

Just did one of these Saturday. Which ever one you choose, 2.8 will be your best friend. Catholic church right??

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

Megapixle
601 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 08, 2007 09:57 |  #3

The 24-70 won't be long enough and f2.8 lets in twice as much light as f4, so the 70-200 f2.8 wins. Just try to get your shutter speed > 1 / fl and keep it steady.

~mp

Gear

titan307
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 08, 2007 10:25 as a reply to  @ Atl-Fotos's post |  #4

[Catholic church right??[/QUOTE]
yes. how did yo know?

i was looking at the 70-200f2.8 because of more and more "restrictions" being put on the photographers now days. but still cant decide on IS or NON IS. i dont really know how much difference the is will make. especially if i use monopod if im going to be zoomed out. $600 is a lot of other "toys" if IS is not absolutely needed.

arch1tect
Goldmember
1,541 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 08, 2007 10:53 |  #5

Get the IS, you'll need it eventually.

Michael

New Jersey | New York Wedding Photographer (external link)

bcap
MR. PP
7,364 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 08, 2007 11:29 |  #6

You'll want the 70-200 2.8L IS eventually. Buy it now and save yourself from wasting money in the near future by selling the non-IS for the IS

Bryan
Bryan Caporicci's Personal Blog (external link)
Niagara Falls, Ontario Wedding and Portrait Photographer - Bryan Caporicci Photography (external link)

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 08, 2007 12:23 |  #7

No flash is protocal for Catholic weddings. It is amazing to me that as the attendents and event the bride walk down the isle you will see everyones flash going off, but you as the "professional" photographer are not allowed to use flash. Kind'a makes you want to send someone into the pue to snap the shots for you.......You will need your tripod too if you don't have IS.

Ron

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 08, 2007 12:30 |  #8

I am in total agreement with Bryan. Buy the right equipment the first time...

Ron

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 08, 2007 14:16 |  #9

titan307 wrote in post #4087062 (external link)
[Catholic church right??

Two of my first three weddings were in Catholic churches and no restrictions on flash (or anything else) were in place.

I spoke to the priest prior to the ceremony and in both cases they were fine with flash and my wandering about as long as I was "discreet". So it's more of a decision by the individual priest than one by the Catholic church.

On the 70-200 I'd get the IS version .. but not only not for church use (where you can use a monopod) but also for candids right through the wedding day .. 2.8 ain't that fast when shooting indoors or at receptions.

But also keep in mind that 1/60 is probably the minimum shutter speed you want to be at (and preferably 1/100) to ensure sharp pics when people are moving.
Mike

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

ozzy14
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 10, 2007 21:47 as a reply to  @ mmahoney's post |  #10

hey what about the 85 1.2 ?

24-70l - 70-200 f4 -85 1.2 (is the 2.8 nessecary if i have the 85 for low light??)

or

24-70l - 70-200 f2.8 -85 1.2

what is the best and why!!

Tish
280 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 10, 2007 23:11 as a reply to  @ ozzy14's post |  #11

IS is mandatory. I tried it without & will never willingly do so again. Rent if you can't afford to buy. Or use B&H's Bill Me Later function & take six months to pay it off interest free.

Digital images are already too soft at high ISOs, why make it worse on yourself with focus & shake issues as well?

Gear List

I've finally started a blog. Really. (external link)

viet
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 10, 2007 23:45 |  #12

Tish wrote in post #4103691 (external link)
IS is mandatory. I tried it without & will never willingly do so again. Rent if you can't afford to buy. Or use B&H's Bill Me Later function & take six months to pay it off interest free.

Digital images are already too soft at high ISOs, why make it worse on yourself with focus & shake issues as well?

Before IS, we had what we call a "tri-pod". Worked wonder. But if you can afford IS, go with it as you will need it later on anyway.

Tish
280 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 11, 2007 00:20 |  #13

viet wrote in post #4103796 (external link)
Before IS, we had what we call a "tri-pod". Worked wonder. But if you can afford IS, go with it as you will need it later on anyway.

Which is terrific, if they're allowed. There are a LOT of churches that won't allow them. :rolleyes: And today's style of shooting, preferred by both brides and photographers, doesn't lend itself well to static boring images from one location. Unless ordered to do so by the priest, given ANY other possible option....even the one that cost me $1600....I'll take it.

I learned my lesson--owned the 70-200 f4 for exactly three months and one wedding.....AFTER the lecture from the crew here. Thank heavens I bought it used & sold it for what I paid for it. Believe me, it was a great lens, but utterly useless to me in weddings; ie--low light without the ability to use a tripod.

Gear List

I've finally started a blog. Really. (external link)

viet
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 11, 2007 01:31 |  #14

Tish wrote in post #4103926 (external link)
Which is terrific, if they're allowed. There are a LOT of churches that won't allow them. :rolleyes: And today's style of shooting, preferred by both brides and photographers, doesn't lend itself well to static boring images from one location. Unless ordered to do so by the priest, given ANY other possible option....even the one that cost me $1600....I'll take it.

I learned my lesson--owned the 70-200 f4 for exactly three months and one wedding.....AFTER the lecture from the crew here. Thank heavens I bought it used & sold it for what I paid for it. Believe me, it was a great lens, but utterly useless to me in weddings; ie--low light without the ability to use a tripod.

Maybe I haven't shot enough weddings, but I haven't had a church that banned tripod yet. Flash, yes, confined to the balcony/back of church/exactly 3/5/10 rows from the altar, yes, no pictures during ceremony, yes, pictures of them after the ceremony only, yes, but tripod ban? not yet. Some churches might, but a LOT of them banning tripod is a bit of a stretch.

Either way, if you noticed, I recommended the OP to get the IS version if possible. If not, a tripod wouldn't hurt. I can't wait to upgrade my 2.8 to IS either.

Richtherookie
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 11, 2007 09:52 |  #15

Thanks for this post, i will forward to my wife, maybe i can sleep in the house now. I bought the IS

Canon 40D, Rebel XT, Kit lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, 50mm F/1.8II, 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM

Trained to survive, willing not to.
www.haysphotography.ne​t (external link)

sponsored links

2,355 views & 0 likes for this thread
one lens ONLY
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.