Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 18 Oct 2007 (Thursday) 04:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Silly question: Why is it called "Mark"?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 18, 2007 06:22 |  #16

xarqi wrote in post #4146011 (external link)
Yeah, but how and when did "mark" become a synonym for "revision"?

I can't be certain on that, but I'd hazard a guess that it's either a simple truncation of "Benchmark" or from the idea that you "mark" a milestone or achievement.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Mark_%28designa​tion%29 (external link)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links
zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 18, 2007 06:24 |  #17

maybe the MK stands for "Make" and the whole "Mark" thing is just a bad dream...

Pssst... hey wake up.. we gotta go or we'll be late!!

http://www.theanimalha​ven.com (external link)
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​s (external link)

SOT
I make up stuff about Cameras
915 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 18, 2007 06:25 |  #18

The concept of Mark meaning version has more of a military history than anything else.
It was later adopted by technology companies, car companies, mfg companies etc. (like IBM and Canon) to do the same as it was intended to do with military products, designate a model change within a class or between classes.

The Sten was a machine gun, there was the Mark I through Mark IV . Each was a supposed (and real) improvement upon the previous version.

http://img81.imageshac​k.us/img81/8646/captur​e1o.jpg (external link)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,304 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2007 06:27 |  #19

SOT wrote in post #4145764 (external link)
What's really interesting is in some instances, like Jaguars, the numbers are sort of out of sequence. The Jaguar Mk V came before the Mk Iv.

Jaguar also use another word to denote this same sort of thing - type. As in S-Type. E-Type etc.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 18, 2007 06:28 |  #20

Roy Mathers wrote in post #4146052 (external link)
Jaguar also use another word to denote this same sort of thing - type. As in S-Type. E-Type etc.

I thought that was more of a trim designation than a version....

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

SOT
I make up stuff about Cameras
915 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 18, 2007 06:32 |  #21

That is why that wiki is sometimes bad, they use a very very poor example of how the thing came about. The M16 for example was never a MARK Mk series, it was an A advancement series, A1, A2, A3. The M in M16 is Military, as the AR (Armalite Rifle) was in version 15 and then 16 when adopted by the military.One adopted by the military the version change was designated as A1, A2 A3 etc.

cdifoto wrote in post #4146038 (external link)
I can't be certain on that, but I'd hazard a guess that it's either a simple truncation of "Benchmark" or from the idea that you "mark" a milestone or achievement.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Mark_%28designa​tion%29 (external link)

http://img81.imageshac​k.us/img81/8646/captur​e1o.jpg (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,971 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Oct 18, 2007 06:34 |  #22

xarqi wrote in post #4145992 (external link)
Stranger things have happened. "Mercedes" was named after the daughter of one of the founders of the Daimler company!

Most older car labels are from real names of the owners or their relatives. Alfa Romeo was named by Nicola Romeo who bought the factory in 1915 (Alfa = Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili). And Ferrari was named by Enzo Ferrari etc, Porsche by Ferdinand Porsche, Lamborghini by Ferrucio Lamborghini etc. :)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,304 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2007 06:34 |  #23

Wikipedia is very often to be taken with a pinch of salt;)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,304 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2007 06:36 |  #24

Pekka wrote in post #4146075 (external link)
Most older car labels are from real names of the owners or their relatives. Alfa Romeo was named by Nicola Romeo who bought the factory in 1915 (Alfa = Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili). And Ferrari was named by Enzo Ferrari etc, Porsche by Ferdinand Porsche, Lamborghini by Ferrucio Lamborghini etc. :)

Don't forget the Ford Edsel:)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 18, 2007 06:36 |  #25

Roy Mathers wrote in post #4146076 (external link)
Wikipedia is very often to be taken with a pinch of salt;)

It's perfectly legit when the articles back up what I'm saying. :)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 18, 2007 06:37 |  #26

Roy Mathers wrote in post #4146082 (external link)
Don't forget the Ford Edsel:)

Edsel must have been an ugly girl too.

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,304 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2007 06:37 |  #27

cdifoto wrote in post #4146084 (external link)
It's perfectly legit when the articles back up what I'm saying. :)

Especially when you've got a bet on it!:)

EOS ­ Man
Happy Lucky 888 EOS
645 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 18, 2007 06:52 |  #28

simwells wrote in post #4145703 (external link)
Hehe, it's not called Mark persay, it's just it's easier to differentiate from the other models by saying it's the mark II rather than just II (a bit like issue II or similar)

Though personally I always prefered Bob

Presenting the Canon EOS 1D Bob III. As the name originator, you get the first unit out of the production line for free :p

MINI Cooper Mark II :-P:-P:-P:-P:-P

My EOS Gearlist

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 18, 2007 07:09 as a reply to  @ EOS Man's post |  #29

Since Canon comes from Japan, don't forget the Toyota Mark II. It was derived from the Corona in the late 60's or early 70's, but then it became a model on its own.

And newer generations continue to be called "Mark II". There is no "Mark III", "Mark IV", etc.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

AviP
54 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 18, 2007 09:17 |  #30

:lol:We could use Microsoft notation and call it 1D 2007.:lol: That always works in terms of marketing upgrades.

-Avi
Bodies: EOS 5D (FOR SALE)
Landscapes: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
Portraits: Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 580EX II
Macros: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8

sponsored links

11,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
Silly question: Why is it called "Mark"?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.