Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 18 Oct 2007 (Thursday) 18:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Attempt at Portrait Shots

Fireblade2K7
89 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 18, 2007 18:21 |  #1

Well I thought I would post these couple of photos on here, I have always wanted to have a go at photographing people so thought I would give it a shot.

I'm pretty pleased with the results, they have been lightly edited in PSP IX, C&C most welcome :D

Both were taken with Canon 400D with Canon 50mm F1.8.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thanks

Stu

Canon EOS 400D + BG-E3 Battery Grip
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

sponsored links
Roy ­ Hernandez
317 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 18, 2007 18:26 |  #2

They look pretty nice! the thing is that its a little bit soft... specially the eyes.

For visiting San Diego area info @ - http://www.sdphotoforu​m.com (external link)
My Photos (external link) - I'm 1OO% FILIPINO! I eat Balot, Bagoong, and Tuyo. Ikaw Ba?!

robgr85
890 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 18, 2007 18:31 |  #3

I do not know if it is visible only on the small res pictures, but on the first image I got the feeling that it is oof, or focused on wrong thing. I'm not a portraiture master, but I think You should definetely focus on model eyes while taking the picture...

My other reflections of Your photos? I like the composition of Your photos, also nice blur on the first one, but the colors seems to be a bit distracting.

Cheers,
Robert

Blog (external link)

Fireblade2K7
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 18, 2007 18:46 as a reply to  @ robgr85's post |  #4

I have edited this one again, I've not applied the glamour filter to it, its been sharpened a little more and also adjusted the DOF, any improvement?

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thanks

Stu

Canon EOS 400D + BG-E3 Battery Grip
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

jtull01
349 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 18, 2007 18:48 |  #5

I love the blue eyes offset by the red leaves, nice. The eyes must be sharp, and your original exposure of them is a tad soft. The PP one is much, much better. Is that red highlights in her hair? Lighting is very good, and the model almost pops. Your definitely on course.

Practice, practice, and practice some more, and when you think you have got it right, start over.

elader
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 18, 2007 19:24 |  #6

your blurring in the red stuff behind her looks unnatural in both attempts. There is some weird interplay between her head and the area around it that just looks, well... weird. In the second print, something went wrong with skin tone and color. Maybe it's oversharpened.

Eric
FJR1300 rider
5D mkIII and 1D MkIII

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

Aldwyn
317 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 19, 2007 14:25 |  #7

I didnt see it until you pointed it out Eric... Almost like a blured halo around her head.

What is the cause of this?

Stu: I did the compesition! The red in the background is great!

Canon 5DMk2 * 24 - 105mm F4 L * 70-200 f/4 L IS * 100mm f/2.8 Macro * 50mm f/1.8 II * 70 - 300mm f/4 - 5.6 * 580EX II * 430EX * Some Bees * Some Pocket Lint * Camera Debt *

woody60
482 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 19, 2007 16:28 as a reply to  @ Fireblade2K7's post |  #8

I personally like the edited version ,its thrown the background out and improved the dof
and the forehead area , which also makes me wonder about the original shots shutter speed and f stop .

Powershot SX40 HS

sponsored links

1,648 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Attempt at Portrait Shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.