Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 25 Oct 2007 (Thursday) 10:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If there not saying wow is it still worth offering?

MrsOpie
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 25, 2007 10:41 |  #1

When I've been meeting with brides I show them the 3 wedding albums I currently offer: AsukaBook, Tap IMount, and GraphiStudio.

I'm not getting anyone saying "Wow!" when they see the Asukabook or the IMount album. One bride said the Asukabook looks like a high school year book.

If they aren't saying "wow" is it still worth offering?

-OpieFoto
Salt Lake City Utah Wedding Photographer (external link)

Modern, Bold, Raw Emotion

sponsored links
Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 25, 2007 10:54 |  #2

If more than one person has been impressed with the Asuka then more than likely others will also.

One persons 'hmm' is anothers 'wow'.

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

MarkAnthonyPhotography
347 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 25, 2007 11:03 |  #3

I offer the Asuka as a "cheaper" alternative from my Cornerstone album. I generally show the Cornerstone first to get the "wow" effect. Then later if they say they really love the idea of the album, but can't fit it into their budget I then offer the Asuka for about half the price of the Cornerstone. Which type did you order for your sample from Asuka? I got the Book Bound EX with a soft cover. I too have gotten some not so impressed comments and looks, but I know I"m not gonna please everyone. Just keep offering them, then freak out when you have to design 3 in one week!! lol.

Mark Anthony
"What do you mean I can't use flash?!...":eek:
http://www.markanthony​photo.net (external link)

notapro
Goldmember
2,540 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 25, 2007 14:34 |  #4

looking at it form a customer's perspective (cause I can hardly look at it from a wedding photographer's perspective), I would recommend to keep it as an option. Being able to get a cheaper album may be valuable to some people and I doubt it would put anyone off.

Amanda

Ontario Wedding Photographer  (external link)| My Blog (external link)

MrsOpie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 25, 2007 15:47 as a reply to  @ notapro's post |  #5

I don't know I'm just thinking I should only offer high end wedding albums like GraphiStudio, ZookBinders, PictoBooks, and Queensberry.

-OpieFoto

Padawan ­ Dad
908 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 25, 2007 16:03 |  #6

I've actually discontinued using Asukabook due to lack of client interest and durability compared to genuine wedding albums. Asuka does nice books, but they just don't fit with my clientel. I'd rather offer a flush mount, that is only a tad bit more in cost.

Bill Hicks Photography (external link)

Nikon D700 • 50 ƒ/1.4G • 24-70 ƒ/2.8 • 70-200 ƒ/2.8 VRII SB900  iMac

MrsOpie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 25, 2007 16:04 as a reply to  @ Padawan Dad's post |  #7

Bill, what flush mount is a tad bit more?

-OpieFoto

Padawan ­ Dad
908 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 25, 2007 16:18 |  #8

MrsOpie wrote in post #4191082 (external link)
Bill, what flush mount is a tad bit more?

You have a PM :D

Bill Hicks Photography (external link)

Nikon D700 • 50 ƒ/1.4G • 24-70 ƒ/2.8 • 70-200 ƒ/2.8 VRII SB900  iMac

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 25, 2007 16:19 |  #9

*Bill wrote in post #4191073 (external link)
I've actually discontinued using Asukabook due to lack of client interest and durability compared to genuine wedding albums. Asuka does nice books, but they just don't fit with my clientel.

What Bill said. I only do Queensberry.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

mizuno
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 25, 2007 16:20 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

I'm still having great success with my Asukabook samples.

One of the big keys with the digital style albums is obviously the design. Some of the other big matted albums can look very impressive even with ordinary photos. If a digital album isn't designed well, there will be no 'wow'.

DAN CRIPPS PHOTOGRAPHY (external link) | BLOG (external link) | PITBULL MANSION (external link)
30D x 2 | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8 IS L | 580EX x 2 |

MrsOpie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 25, 2007 16:23 as a reply to  @ mizuno's post |  #11

Maybe my designs are bad.

-OpieFoto

mizuno
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 25, 2007 16:24 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

MrsOpie wrote in post #4191212 (external link)
Maybe my designs are bad.

They might not be bad, but what I'm saying is they need to be 'wow'.

The book alone will not sell itself in the same way as some of the other options.

DAN CRIPPS PHOTOGRAPHY (external link) | BLOG (external link) | PITBULL MANSION (external link)
30D x 2 | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8 IS L | 580EX x 2 |

Banbert
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 25, 2007 17:15 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

We sold our first 20-30 weddings cheap and the book we bundled in with our package was a very very cheap book (£35 from photobox) but when we actually came to supply some of our clients with that book we just couldnt do it so we used the asuka book instead. Its cost us a fortune to do this (an extra £100 to £150 per wedding that we havent charged for) but we were much happier supplying that book to our budget clients.

Now that were pushing our prices up even further we will probably stop offering the asuka book and will instead just bundle a graphistudio book in with our package and then maybe create a budget package that the album is arranged seperately for..... or keep our single package and then have albums as added extras.

Regards designs, we still let everleaf do ours because we dont have time to do em and I think they can currently do a better job than we can.

For one of our last weddings we felt we had some great shots and were contemplating designing the album ourselves, until the bride sent the photos through that she had chosen for the album at which point I decided to let everleaf do it because what she had chosen wasnt what I would have chosen, not even close. The design we got back from everleaf made the most out of the photos they had chosen tbh.

Warwickshire Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | My wedding Photography Videos (external link)
Warwickshire Wedding Info (external link) | My Apple Magic Blog (external link)
30D x 3 + grips / EF-S 10-22mm / EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS /EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS / EF 100mm Macro / Sigma 30mm F1.4 / 580EX / 430EX / 33GB CF Cards / 2 PC'S + laptop / CS2 / HP 1220C / Canon CP-710 / Graphire4 Classic XL Manfroto Tripod & Joystick Head / Mac Book Pro

Nicole ­ Faith
693 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 25, 2007 17:26 |  #14

I think it's nice to offer a small variety anyways - you will have different clients with different tastes and different financial standings.

visit my website -> http://www.nicolepfeif​ferphotography.com (external link)
visit my blog -> http://www.blog.nicole​pfeifferphotography.co​m (external link)
add me on facebook -> http://www.facebook.co​m/nicolepfeifferphotog​raphy (external link)
http://nicolepfeifferp​hotography.blogspot.co​m/ (external link)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 25, 2007 22:17 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

I think I'm going to offer Graphi to the high end customers and Tuscany to the mid-range. Candid 2000 also has a new product line in the works that will likely include a coffee table book along the same line as a VisionArt book. That will be my lower budget book, since I don't like the longer turnaround time involved with Asuka and have heard a lot of negative comments about Zookbinders' Photo Book.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,643 views & 0 likes for this thread
If there not saying wow is it still worth offering?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.