Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 26 Oct 2007 (Friday) 03:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Air show lens ?

Blue ­ Deuce
"I don't say anything witty"
3,751 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 26, 2007 03:01 |  #1

I looked through a couple of other posts regarding which lens to use at air shows and no mention was made of the 500 f/4. Most were recommending the 100-400. Is there a reason why there is no mention of the 500 ? I hand hold it for BIF and the quality is consistently beyond anything I have ever gotten from the zoom. I just want to take one body and lens to the upcoming space expo I am attending.

sponsored links
malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 26, 2007 03:33 |  #2

I have seen a lot of people at airshows with the 500 ,I use the 300f2.8Lis and am very happy with it,:D

Gear List

mxwphoto
588 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 26, 2007 03:57 as a reply to  @ malla1962's post |  #3

One of the major reasons for 100-400 is for the flexibility and length. IQ wise, it definitely doesn't beat a 500 prime, but it gives you the option to zoom in and out, which can be important when you want to frame formation shots. Of course, that depends on how close you are to the planes. Also, I find hand holding the zoom for 4 hours is tiring enough (you really do need to hand hold if you want all the angles), much less a 500mm. I was in the crowd for Fleet Week, so even with a 100-400, I had to be very careful not to whack anyone in the head with my lens when I try to track the planes. A kind old man had to duck twice because I got a bit caught up chasing the jets... so again, a 500mm in that situation would just make it all the harder.

Great shots are like great parking spaces... if you're not quick, it's gone!

Pete-eos
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 26, 2007 04:34 |  #4

At a guess, its a case that there are more 100-400 owners than 500... :)

Sp00ks
Goldmember
1,654 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 26, 2007 05:31 |  #5

I see a lot of 100-400 users at air shows. I use my 70-200 2.8 and get some nice results. I am doing some pretty extreme crops but the image quality of that lens allows it. You can check out some of my shots in the links below if you like. My opinion but I don't think you will get as many low altitude pass shots with anything over 300mm.

Pope AFB Air Show (external link)

Angier-Fuquay Air Show (external link)

http://www.shutterup.n​et (external link)

Blue ­ Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I don't say anything witty"
3,751 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 26, 2007 06:23 |  #6

Thanks for the help. I like the aspect of flexibility that the zoom affords in this instance. My main reservation is it's lack of speed in focusing compared to the prime.

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 26, 2007 06:46 as a reply to  @ Blue Deuce's post |  #7

I don't mis my 100-400 for airshows but what does bother me is it trying to get my 300f2.8 to florida next year for the air and sea show;)

Gear List

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 26, 2007 08:17 |  #8

Blue Deuce wrote in post #4194472 (external link)
Thanks for the help. I like the aspect of flexibility that the zoom affords in this instance. My main reservation is it's lack of speed in focusing compared to the prime.

No problems with focus speed on the 1-4. Like above, it's all about the flexibility.

That said, I went to 3 air shows this year with my 1-4. And every time, I wish it was longer for 50% of my shots. I'd probably miss IS, but a big-mama would be even better than the 1-4. If you want great shots, of single plans, and you're willing to give up formation shots, the 500 would be a fantastic air show lens. Not sure which I'd take if I owned both.

JohnC

John Caputo

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 26, 2007 08:30 as a reply to  @ JC4's post |  #9

Blue Deuce wrote in post #4194472 (external link)

I rented the 100-400 a few weeks ago for the Pope AFB Air Show. It was worth every penny! IMO the 500 only would seriously limit the shots you could take. Using the Rebel XT I had very few focus issues with the 100-400. Out of 812 shots I deleted about 10 for focus problems!

I doubt you could get some of the formation shots with a 500.

280mm no crop

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

And then there is the runway shots which are rather close.

200mm

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

The rest of my processed shots are here (external link).

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

rang
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 26, 2007 11:18 |  #10

mxwphoto wrote in post #4194159 (external link)
One of the major reasons for 100-400 is for the flexibility and length. IQ wise, it definitely doesn't beat a 500 prime, but it gives you the option to zoom in and out, which can be important when you want to frame formation shots. Of course, that depends on how close you are to the planes. Also, I find hand holding the zoom for 4 hours is tiring enough (you really do need to hand hold if you want all the angles), much less a 500mm. I was in the crowd for Fleet Week, so even with a 100-400, I had to be very careful not to whack anyone in the head with my lens when I try to track the planes. A kind old man had to duck twice because I got a bit caught up chasing the jets... so again, a 500mm in that situation would just make it all the harder.

Hi, are you from SD, CA?
Where abouts were you? There was a group of us shooting just west of the last chalet in the "blanket" area.
-rang

Lotsa stuff, running outta room and a wife...I keep looking at her and wondering??? :lol:

thebigphil
95 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 26, 2007 11:23 |  #11

In2Photos wrote in post #4194934 (external link)
The rest of my processed shots are here (external link).

Wow Mike!

I loved the shots - especially the one of the F-16 going through the shock cloud (2007_10_06__MG_4026_W​eb.jpg)! :cool:

-Phil

-----------
Canon 1DM3
...and some more stuff:
Current Gear List (and yet still hungry for more Toys!:o)
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2666482&pos​tcount=446

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 26, 2007 11:58 as a reply to  @ thebigphil's post |  #12

I recently shot the USAF Thuderbirds in Atlantic City with a 70-200 and 1.4x TC. 90% of the time I was at the long end of the lens or just shy of it. A 100-400 without TC would have worked very well but I think that anything longer, much less, a longer prime would absolutely make it impossible to shoot. There were times that I had to pull back to have the various stunts and multi-plane shots all in frame, so I know that if I had a 300mm prime (or longer) it just woudn't have cut it.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Kennymc
Goldmember
1,501 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 26, 2007 12:04 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #13

300 f/2.8... This will be my next lens... :lol:

www.kennymc.com (external link)
Equipment http://kennymc.com/Inf​ormation/equipment.htm​l (external link)
http://www.kennymc.com​/equipment.htm (external link)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 26, 2007 12:14 |  #14

TMR Design wrote in post #4196196 (external link)
I recently shot the USAF Thuderbirds in Atlantic City with a 70-200 and 1.4x TC. 90% of the time I was at the long end of the lens or just shy of it. A 100-400 without TC would have worked very well but I think that anything longer, much less, a longer prime would absolutely make it impossible to shoot. There were times that I had to pull back to have the various stunts and multi-plane shots all in frame, so I know that if I had a 300mm prime (or longer) it just woudn't have cut it.

That may be the case on a 1.6 crop body but what about a 1.3 or full frame?;)

Gear List

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 26, 2007 12:17 |  #15

malla1962 wrote in post #4196287 (external link)
That may be the case on a 1.6 crop body but what about a 1.3 or full frame?;)

Good point! With the 1.3x crop, obviously there is a small difference. With full frame, big difference :D

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links

5,512 views & 0 likes for this thread
Air show lens ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.