Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Oct 2007 (Friday) 13:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question to all MAC-ers

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,666 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 26, 2007 13:02 |  #1

Being a noob to Mac OS, I am not sure what Leopard does to my existing kitty OS X. I have read about the improvements, and the two big enhancements seem to be the new Dock system, and the file view feature, which sounds awesome (previewing files before even opening them).

What is the cost, or cons of this Upgrade?... Meaning, does it compare to an OS upgrade in Windows, where some programs may prove less cooperative, or is it the exact opposite? (as in every upgrade actually improves performance).

How are resources managed in Leopard?... More GUI rich interfaces usually are RAM laden, and CPU intensive. Have you seen this particular version (10.5) to be so?...

I figure I can never be wrong by waiting a while, I am still learning the basics of Mac OS anyways, so I don't feel like I am missing a huge upgrade yet.

Thanks for your upcoming comments :)...

--Mario
"Sensa luce non si vede nessuna cosa"--Lorenzo Ghiberti

sponsored links
Sauk
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 26, 2007 13:25 |  #2

I don't know a lot about it but I know one thing I like it! I am a windows convert and I will never go back to it. I switched over when the new iMac came out a few months ago.

Here is a great forum with great people that will help you like people on here do!

http://forums.macrumor​s.com/ (external link)

You can get a ton of info on there

Nikon D700 D3s | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

PhotoJourno
THREAD ­ STARTER
High Plains Chimper
5,666 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 26, 2007 13:34 |  #3

He he, now I feel stupid for turning down an Apple Press event set for this evening in the Bay Area... :|
(To my defense, this was a couple of months ago).

Cheers,

--Mario

doubledragon
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 26, 2007 15:03 |  #4

i imagine it will take a little while for all the programs to be updated to the new OS, so certain things might run better on the previous OSX version 10.4.

Philadelphia Wedding Photographer: Portfolio/Blog (external link)
Follow my Instagram, I'll follow you back (external link)
gear list

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 26, 2007 15:12 as a reply to  @ doubledragon's post |  #5

In general, you can expect better performance with Apple softwares with newer OS X releases. So far, all the reports I've read suggest it's true this time as well.

But with 3rd party software, it's most likely "no change" to "won't work at all". If you have important 3rd party software you're using, you want to hear what others say about that before upgrading.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

enilm
188 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 26, 2007 15:18 |  #6

From a photoshop stand point, is it true that it runs better on mac than on windows? I've heard rumors that macs are better for photoshop and imaging. Is this true or is it just being a mac fanboi?

Canon 40D w/ kit lens 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6. No Flash, No lights, No other lenses. Just starting out.

nikonthree
316 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 26, 2007 15:27 |  #7

enilm wrote in post #4197248 (external link)
From a photoshop stand point, is it true that it runs better on mac than on windows? I've heard rumors that macs are better for photoshop and imaging. Is this true or is it just being a mac fanboi?

Photoshop does not run better on a Mac than a PC.

Photoshop runs better on whatever OS you feel for productive using. Whether its Windows or the Mac OS

It comes down to personal preference.

-Rich R.
Concept-A Photography (external link)

umbra
379 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 26, 2007 15:42 |  #8

The only issue I've had so far is the Aperture crashing problem in the other post. Since I updated Aperture I havent had this problem. Everything I run is working fine and not slower by any means. Sure the OS uses more memory, but it hasnt slowed my workstations down a bit. All i have to say is the MAC OS is a much more robust and eloquent system. This is coming from a 10 year Microsoft MCSE+I. One thing too is that OSX 10.5 comes with Bootcamp where you can load Windows Vista or Windows XP sp2 and dual boot both OSes in case you need Windows apps. All the guys in my office run Bloomberg and other crazy financial software that only runs on PC. I've gotten a 4 of them to make the switch because of Boot Camp and Parallels. It's funny, the fastest systems and the least crash prone workstations here that run Windows Vista are the ones that are running on Mac hardware...my next endeavor is to switch out some of our servers to Xserve and OSX server.

Canon 1DMKIII, 7D w/WFT-E5A, 40D modded with Baader filter, Celestron CPC1100, Astro-Tech AT8RC on a Celestron CGEM, some fast lenses, and some tripods...

enilm
188 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 26, 2007 17:14 |  #9

nikonthree wrote in post #4197300 (external link)
Photoshop does not run better on a Mac than a PC.

Photoshop runs better on whatever OS you feel for productive using. Whether its Windows or the Mac OS

It comes down to personal preference.

That being said. What would be better for photoshop, Core 2 Duo E6850 or Core 2 Qaud Q6600?

Canon 40D w/ kit lens 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6. No Flash, No lights, No other lenses. Just starting out.

nikonthree
316 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 26, 2007 17:56 |  #10

enilm wrote in post #4197799 (external link)
That being said. What would be better for photoshop, Core 2 Duo E6850 or Core 2 Qaud Q6600?

Will there be Overclocking? If so the Q6600..

BTW - Photoshop is a multi-threaded application and will take advantage of multiple processors

-Rich R.
Concept-A Photography (external link)

enilm
188 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 26, 2007 20:40 |  #11

I don't know how to overclock but I'm pretty sure I can read online on how to do it, hehe. So stock for stock E6850 would be better, but if I were to overclock the Q6600 to let say 3.0Ghz, the Q6600 would definitely take over?

When are the new Intel's coming out? I currently have AMD X2 4200. I'm not sure to do a nice upgrade to the Q6600 or to wait until the new ones come. Then that'll be liking skipping an upgrade and I'll notice even more of a difference.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 26, 2007 21:38 |  #12

umbra wrote in post #4197358 (external link)
It's funny, the fastest systems and the least crash prone workstations here that run Windows Vista are the ones that are running on Mac hardware...my next endeavor is to switch out some of our servers to Xserve and OSX server.

Not really surprising. Apple (1) uses high-quality components and (2) writes the Win drivers for these components. Windows under BootCamp/Parallels/Fus​ion on a Mac simply shows how good Windows XP/Vista can be in a carefully-controlled hardware environment. The difference is in the business model; Apple controls everything, MS gives lots of freedom. Each has its benefits and detriments.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 26, 2007 21:41 |  #13

doubledragon wrote in post #4197154 (external link)
i imagine it will take a little while for all the programs to be updated to the new OS, so certain things might run better on the previous OSX version 10.4.

Most programs will run fine because of the structure of Mac OS X. There will be a few that need updated (e.g., Aperture, Filemaker Pro), but the great majority will run just fine under 10.5 because the binaries are still the same. The biggest issue will be things like system and library cores and frameworks upon which some apps depend; if these are "upgraded" in "just the right way" under 10.5, they will cause problems. I suspect we'll start hearing about some of these over the weekend.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Jimmer411
Thank god Im green.
866 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 27, 2007 01:13 |  #14

enilm wrote in post #4198675 (external link)
I don't know how to overclock but I'm pretty sure I can read online on how to do it, hehe. So stock for stock E6850 would be better, but if I were to overclock the Q6600 to let say 3.0Ghz, the Q6600 would definitely take over?

When are the new Intel's coming out? I currently have AMD X2 4200. I'm not sure to do a nice upgrade to the Q6600 or to wait until the new ones come. Then that'll be liking skipping an upgrade and I'll notice even more of a difference.

Stock for stock the Q6600 will blow the E6850 away in any application that utilizes more than 2 cores.

Overclocking is easy, Im running my 3800 X2 at 3.2ghz and watercooled right now :D

5D3 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 430EX | YN-568EX II | YN-622c | YN-622-TX |
Selling Sigma 30mm 1.4

PhotoJourno
THREAD ­ STARTER
High Plains Chimper
5,666 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 27, 2007 23:31 |  #15

Don't know who hijacked the thread.. (arrgh) :p just kidding, but aside from overclocking -which you are welcome to discuss :)-, it seems then that the Leopard upgrade would not cause great complications, and many benefits at best. Since I am just starting to learn the OS, I might as well learn the new one.

Post Message question: I notice that on my system monitor, 30% of my physical memory is busy with processes, while 50% is labeled Inactive (Only about 20-30% ever as free Memory). How does this work, in a not White-Paper type explanation?... If the system required more memory than the Free one, would it tap into the Inactive?...

The Mac I have was made for Leopard, so I know the specs should take it and its graphic abuse.

Thanks always for contributing and chiming in, y'all (yes, even you, thread Ninja ;) )

--Mario

sponsored links

1,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question to all MAC-ers
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.