Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Oct 2007 (Monday) 09:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mac Experts Unite:

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,743 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 29, 2007 09:53 |  #1

Okay, ladies and fellas, I'm about to pull the plug on a $4,000 Mac Pro tower and want to be sure I'm equipping it properly.

This is it thus far:
Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
One 16x SuperDrive
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
Accessory kit
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Mac OS X - U.S. English
4GB (4 x 1GB)
750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)

//

IMAGE: http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1331/store.apple.com/res/img/gifting/icon-gift-msg.gif
Gift message: Add (external link)
| Create unique messages (external link) //
IMAGE: http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1331/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/gifting/button_save.gif
IMAGE: http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1331/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/gifting/button_cancel.gif

Comments, please. Oh, I use it mostly for Lightroom and Photoshop.

mark

sponsored links
SeanH
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 29, 2007 10:03 |  #2

I just bought almost the same machine but I only have 2 gigs of ram and it runs great. It averages opening PS in about 4 seconds, and bridge about 6. (CS3)

7D ......waiting on the 5D3
10-22, 17-40 4.0 L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 2 X 580EX's

MDJAK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,743 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 29, 2007 10:17 |  #3

what about the video card. Is ATI just as good/better than NVidia?

richardsc0
693 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 29, 2007 11:28 |  #4

that video card will be fine, and it will be better than the 7300's (the base nvidia model).

I don't know if you do any dvd ripping / burning, but adding a second super drive might come in handy if you do.

Other than that, enjoy your system when you get it :)

I'd love to buy one of those, but even if I sold all of my other computer equipment, I'd never get enough cash to buy one!

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,279 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Oct 29, 2007 11:28 |  #5

for 2D they're the same

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

SeanH
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 29, 2007 12:26 |  #6

MDJAK wrote in post #4211415 (external link)
what about the video card. Is ATI just as good/better than NVidia?

Actually I went with the standard card.....forgot about that. Seems to work fine, the only thing I have ever noticed is brushes sometimes take about a second the show. But that might not even be about the card. And I don't have any games on it yet so I have no idea how it will perform there.

And to clarify my machine is not like yours, you also had a bigger HD, I'm just using a external for storage. Mine is all the standard Mac Pro except I added a gig of RAM and the AirPort/ Bluetooth.

.......FYI, If you work for a big company they will give you a discount. They just did it all verbal.......no proof. I got about 9% of for working for Fidelity Financial. Something you might wanna try :wink:

7D ......waiting on the 5D3
10-22, 17-40 4.0 L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 2 X 580EX's

umbra
379 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 29, 2007 12:38 as a reply to  @ SeanH's post |  #7

Dude...get that machine with 1gb of RAM and order 2 of these from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6820146682 (external link)

You will have 9GB of RAM for less than the price of 4GB...

I would also get the smaller 250GB HD and get one of these:

http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6822148134 (external link)

You will have a Terabyte of storage for $100 less. I use the 750 as my Mac boot drive and the 250 as my Windows boot drive with Boot Camp/Parallels.

This is how I configured my present Mac Pro with the Dual Quad Core 3.0 ghz Xeons.

Canon 1DMKIII, 7D w/WFT-E5A, 40D modded with Baader filter, Celestron CPC1100, Astro-Tech AT8RC on a Celestron CGEM, some fast lenses, and some tripods...

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 29, 2007 13:50 as a reply to  @ umbra's post |  #8

Yes, get the least RAM and smallest harddrive. Then add your own.

Also, do you really need the wireless keyboard? And have you used an Apple mighty mouse before? I find the Apple mouse impossible to use, and many like their 3rd party mouse better.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 29, 2007 13:56 |  #9

I concur. Forget about the wireless keyboard, unless you don't mind losing the numeric keypad. And that "Mighty" mouse is more like a "Meeky" mouse, IMO. I like my $17 USB Logictech optical scroll mouse much better. The only advantage the Apple mice have are the 360 degree scroll buttons.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

nikonthree
316 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 29, 2007 13:58 |  #10

That is my machine without the wireless keyboard and mouse, very happy with it.

As for the second drive as Charles mentioned I bought a Lite-On burner with capabilities of Lightscribe. It works like a champ :)

-Rich R.
Concept-A Photography (external link)

Duder
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 29, 2007 14:15 |  #11

I've never understood why people don't like the mighty mouse, it's the best mouse I've used.

Pete
http://www.pbase.com/p​etejackson (external link)

MDJAK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,743 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 29, 2007 14:28 |  #12

I appreciate all the advice. I don't know about saving by getting aftermarket ram and HD. I've never installed that kind of stuff on my own. Is it easy?

As to the wireless, just want to do away with the wires. Don't need the numeric keypad at all. And I only use the trackpad now, so the quality of the mouse doesn't really matter to me. I have a logitech wireless that I never use.

mark

August ­ 15 ­ Photography
423 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 29, 2007 14:28 |  #13

I agree with some other above about the RAM. I bought mine with the 1GB and bought 4GB from a place called Other World Computing as did another person I know and it has worked out great. it was 375.00 for 4GB of Apple Certified RAM. I also got the base HD and bought a 750GB My Book for much less. Also if you are a student make sure you bring your ID and you get 200.00 off. Or ask them if they have a discount for the company you work for if you work for one. You would be surprised how much you might get. I got 17% off mine. Good luck

Oooooh they have the internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson
Cameras and Computers

umbra
379 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 29, 2007 14:32 |  #14

MDJAK wrote in post #4212826 (external link)
I appreciate all the advice. I don't know about saving by getting aftermarket ram and HD. I've never installed that kind of stuff on my own. Is it easy?

mark

Here is how easy it is:

1: pull lever and remove side cover (make sure to ground yourself out by touching the case before you fiddle with the insides)
2: pull out RAM riser card (there are 2 with 2 banks on each but you only need to pull out 1)
3: insert RAM into riser card (theyre keyed to only go in one way)
4: insert riser card back in tower
5: replace side cover and close lever
6: power on

Its pretty much the same with the hard drive. Heck, the manual that comes with the Mac Pro explains how to add the RAM and the hard drives. It takes less than 5 mins...

Canon 1DMKIII, 7D w/WFT-E5A, 40D modded with Baader filter, Celestron CPC1100, Astro-Tech AT8RC on a Celestron CGEM, some fast lenses, and some tripods...

August ­ 15 ­ Photography
423 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 29, 2007 14:48 |  #15

As Umbra said, Super Easy I know how to use a computer, but am not a take it apart and see how it works kinda guy. Installing my RAM literally took 3 minutes.

Oooooh they have the internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson
Cameras and Computers

sponsored links

3,432 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mac Experts Unite:
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.