Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 31 Oct 2007 (Wednesday) 01:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

do you only shoot in RAW?

orgovsky
45 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 01, 2007 02:20 |  #46

100% RAW for me.

sponsored links
Meaty0
Goldmember
3,519 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 01, 2007 02:55 |  #47

EOS_JD wrote in post #4224690 (external link)
Don't understand this comment? No camera I know uses PSD.

bcap wrote in post #4224531 (external link)
I shoot in PSD, it saves a lot of time when opening the photos up in Photoshop.

bcap wrote in post #4224713 (external link)
LOL it was a joke.

I shoot only RAW.

A joke it might be, but I'm wondering how long before we have cameras that shoot DNG files instead of RAW.

smtp722
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 01, 2007 05:07 |  #48

SuzyView wrote in post #4227592 (external link)
Raw + JPEG depending on who I'm shooting for. Sometimes I shoot only JPEG to save room on the CF card. For all important work, though, RAW + large JPEG.

Suzy, that is quite an impressive list you've got there..
Stupid question but...i've never shot in RAW + JPG , i've seen
the options in my camera..actually take it back, i did shoot it in RAW + JPG but wasn't sure what that meant.. do i get two copies? RAW and JPG?

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 01, 2007 05:18 |  #49

smtp722 wrote in post #4231298 (external link)
Suzy, that is quite an impressive list you've got there..
Stupid question but...i've never shot in RAW + JPG , i've seen
the options in my camera..actually take it back, i did shoot it in RAW + JPG but wasn't sure what that meant.. do i get two copies? RAW and JPG?

You get a RAW and a JPG file on your memory card, of the same image.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 01, 2007 05:35 |  #50

Pretty much RAW only for me....except for reception party shots when I just go full auto with flash (cos it's easier, not cos I dont like RAW).

One of the arguments people have against RAW is file size, but i just buy more hard drive space and only archive high-res jpgs

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

Tommy
I have a Peepster.
2,262 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 01, 2007 07:12 |  #51

razyl wrote in post #4231362 (external link)
One of the arguments people have against RAW is file size, but i just buy more hard drive space and only archive high-res jpgs

Sorry if this is considered a thread hi-jack, and you can ignore me if you want, but this made me wonder.... how many of you guys (and gals) archive your RAW files? Or do you only archive the JPGs after processing?

Tommy

Niraj
859 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 01, 2007 07:14 |  #52

TomC723 wrote in post #4231592 (external link)
Sorry if this is considered a thread hi-jack, and you can ignore me if you want, but this made me wonder.... how many of you guys (and gals) archive your RAW files? Or do you only archive the JPGs after processing?

I archive every single RAW... one to internal HD, one to external HD, one to off-site DVD's. :)

When I get good at what i do, i may only keep the hi-res JPG... but for now, i can refer back to my RAW files and XMP to start fresh :)

Niraj Popat | www.nirajpopat.com (external link)

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 01, 2007 08:59 |  #53

I shoot in RAW and after the final adjustments I archive in JPEG. At least for the last few months.... This is what works for me... So far no issues with making additional adjustments after the conversion..... yet.....

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

Kai
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 01, 2007 13:27 |  #54

Only Raw! Thank God for Raw. I can clean up my learning mistakes.

Time ­ Thief
599 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 01, 2007 17:08 |  #55

RAW only except when I am shooting a soccer game and want the buffer speed of my 30D to keep up with my finger. Four hours of soccer and have walked out with 1500 pics before. RAW is just too nice to fix when you don't get it exactly right when you take the pic.

As for archiving, Everything gets put on DVD, twice, including the RAWs and converted jpegs but I only convert the keepers. Just my way of doing things.

40D, 20D, 24-105 4.0L, 24 2.8, 70-200 2.8L, 18-55 kit lens, 2 x 430ex's, way too many extras to list and even more that I need :mrgreen:
DPP tutorials: http://www.usa.canon.c​om/content/dpp2/index.​html (external link)

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,177 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Nov 01, 2007 18:37 |  #56

bcap wrote in post #4224531 (external link)
I shoot in PSD, it saves a lot of time when opening the photos up in Photoshop.

ha, i shoot multi-layer PSD ;) :p

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

MarkAnthonyPhotography
347 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 01, 2007 19:39 |  #57

I shoot jpeg. ;\

Mark Anthony
"What do you mean I can't use flash?!...":eek:
http://www.markanthony​photo.net (external link)

Tobster001
74 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 03, 2007 02:07 |  #58

large jpg's only here, dont have time to process raws when shooting /editing/printing a wedding a day... saying that, raw always when its for my own stuff :)T

Toby Kroner
Professional Photographer

www.tobykroner.com (external link)
mob : 0404483458

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 03, 2007 05:39 as a reply to  @ post 4230475 |  #59

100% Raw save to tiff, print from tiff, then save to Jpeg for disc.

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 03, 2007 06:22 |  #60

You don't need to print from TIFFs, JPG are fine. I don't think anyone could tell the difference between a Q9 JPG and a TIFF when printing.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

17,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
do you only shoot in RAW?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.