Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 01 Nov 2007 (Thursday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "DVD labeling options: What do you like?"
Lightscribe: Image burned onto disc
45.5%
Photo Printer: Image printed directly to disc
45.5%
Sharpie/Marksalot/Crayon: handwritten Ransom Note
9.1%
Other: Please post your option
0%

55 voters, 55 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightscribe?

s8langwo
229 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 01, 2007 21:27 |  #1

I understand the time it takes to burn an image is quite long, but what are your thoughts on the quality of lightscribe images on the DVD's you give your customers?

Evaluating labeling options and wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks for your input,
Kevin

7D, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 4.0 (non-IS), 24- 105mm 4.0, 430 EX (2X), and assorted useful accessories. (Some not so useful too!):)

sponsored links
thebrewer
786 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 01, 2007 22:23 |  #2

I currently ues lightscribe, but I ordered the tray to allow cd printing on my canon. LS is good, but a color photo loks better IMO. Also, the LS process is slow for a good high contrast imags (35 min)

Banbert
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 01, 2007 22:32 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I use lightscribe at the moment with some leather look cases that hold a photo in the front panel and I think it looks nice as part of our package but i do like the look of some of the more modern options that people have posted recently, I have a concern about how robust they are though. How well do the printed CD's react to moisture ? does the image smudge easily ?

Warwickshire Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | My wedding Photography Videos (external link)
Warwickshire Wedding Info (external link) | My Apple Magic Blog (external link)
30D x 3 + grips / EF-S 10-22mm / EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS /EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS / EF 100mm Macro / Sigma 30mm F1.4 / 580EX / 430EX / 33GB CF Cards / 2 PC'S + laptop / CS2 / HP 1220C / Canon CP-710 / Graphire4 Classic XL Manfroto Tripod & Joystick Head / Mac Book Pro

morlia
733 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 01, 2007 22:37 |  #4

I use lightscribe for the cd's that I burn for personal archiving. For my clients I use a clear colour photo label

not a lot of gear, but I have endless amounts of energy!

http://www.madchenstud​ios.com (external link)

trantz
120 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Location: Detroit, Windsor, Kitchener or Toronto, sometimes all in the same day

Nov 01, 2007 23:39 |  #5

I personally think printing directly to disc looks the best. As for lightscribe, i don't think it looks that great considering you can't get more then then one color (the color of the disc)

troy shantz is trantz photography
Portfolio (external link)

5D+BG, 20D+BG, 350D+BG -- 24-70 2.8L, 50 1.8, Sigma 12-24 -- ST-E2, 420EX, 550EX -- a few tricks up my sleeve

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 01, 2007 23:50 |  #6

Printing on Inkjet disks look better initially but people in general aren't careful. Lightscribe, in my opinion, is better for clients because it has that factory-stamped environment proof quality. They need to develop the technology more to make it burn both faster and darker though.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 02, 2007 06:28 |  #7

I read somewhere you can burn a LightScribe disk twice to make the image come out more. I've never tried or seen Light Scribe, wasn't interested in mono printing, I print directly onto disks.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Niraj
859 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 02, 2007 06:38 |  #8

excellent topic, i've been considering purchasing a Lightscribe drive... just need to know if the clients would appreciate this, or is it something they just take for granted?

I think a LS burnt disc is far more appealing than the white disc labels i currently use.

Niraj Popat | www.nirajpopat.com (external link)

nikonthree
316 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 02, 2007 07:02 |  #9

I really like the Lightscribe "look". Especially after I started the burn twice trick.

I am also looking to do direct to disc printing, once I upgrade my printer. I will decide then which I like better.

For now though I vote Lightscribe :)

-Rich R.
Concept-A Photography (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 02, 2007 07:34 |  #10

The lightscribe discs look good once you've got the 'extra contrast' software, however my next printer will print discs and I'll look at the option of using good jewel cases.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

nikonthree
316 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 02, 2007 09:33 |  #11

Phil V wrote in post #4238057 (external link)
The lightscribe discs look good once you've got the 'extra contrast' software

Is that the Windows only software on the Lightscribe website or something different?

-Rich R.
Concept-A Photography (external link)

spphoto
387 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 02, 2007 10:26 |  #12

I dunno, I've always thought LS looked a bit tacky, so I've always used colour laser printed lables until I got my inkjet that takes discs, now I use those. I've found that they are pretty environment proof, not perfect obviously, but pretty good.

~ Stefanie Pletscher
www.spphoto.ca (external link)

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 02, 2007 14:18 |  #13

I offer both and let my customer make the choice...

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

GertS
353 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 02, 2007 14:31 |  #14

LS takes ages for a high contrast image and it's not UV stable, the images fade out too.
My burner supports it but I don't use it. I see it more as a marketing gag.

- left forum in protest -

tbfoto
655 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 02, 2007 18:28 |  #15

I have used LS for some DVD slideshows I give to my clients. My only complaint is that I wished the contrast was a bit higher. The time isnt that big a deal if the finished image was darker...however its better than a plain disk.

sponsored links

4,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightscribe?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.