Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Nov 2007 (Monday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Filter to lower red

New ­ Hobby
623 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 05, 2007 07:48 |  #1

What kind of filter is needed to lower reds? I have seen an issue with taking shots of flowers on overcast days with the reds blown out.

Feel free to visit my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/newhobby/ (external link)

sponsored links
Dorman
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 05, 2007 09:04 |  #2

The easiest solution would be to reduce saturation of reds in your post processing photo editing program of choice after taking the shot.

New ­ Hobby
THREAD ­ STARTER
623 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 05, 2007 10:37 |  #3

Dorman wrote in post #4256188 (external link)
The easiest solution would be to reduce saturation of reds in your post processing photo editing program of choice after taking the shot.

I tried that but the reds where so blown out I could not lower it in post processing.

Feel free to visit my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/newhobby/ (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 05, 2007 10:44 |  #4

Opposite of red on the color wheel = about green. Therefore, a light green filter. But, I'd do it in PP myself.

GEAR LIST

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 05, 2007 11:50 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #5

I'm assuming from the EXIF of the pictures on your flickr that you are using the 40D. If you look at Pages 70-71 in your camera manual, you'll see an explanation of the White Balance shift and bracketing functions. You might want to try playing with the settings here and see if you can tone down the reds in your photographs. I'd start with the white balance bracketing... You might also try setting a custom white balance (Page 68.)

In the long run, the best solution would be to leave the camera settings alone, shoot in RAW and adjust the white balance or color balance in post processing. Lightroom has some very good color adjusting tools that will allow you to adjust luminance, hue and saturation individually.

John

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 05, 2007 13:01 |  #6

In many processing programs like Photoshop, you can go to colors, select the red channel and simply reduce the amount.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,476 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 05, 2007 13:32 |  #7

I think I know what the op is talking about and I don't think you can do much about these blown reds in post. At least not for me, and I use PSCS and DPP. Maybe changing the color tone in-camera will help?

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey - please refer to me as she/her/Miss
Nikkor 28/2, 35/2.8-PC 55/1.2, 55/3.5 - Voigtländer 50/2.8 - Tamron SP 28-80, SP 60-300 - Pentax SMC Takumar 135/2.5, 200/4 - Lensbaby Composer Pro II w/Sweet35mm & Edge50mm | Canon 5DII | Sigma 12-24 - Canon 28-105 II, 85/1.8

JackProton
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 05, 2007 14:18 |  #8

Why not just set the exposure so you can avoid blown-out areas? Use Eposure Lock or dial the exposure compensation down a notch or two?

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,476 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 05, 2007 14:42 |  #9

JackProton wrote in post #4258144 (external link)
Why not just set the exposure so you can avoid blown-out areas? Use Eposure Lock or dial the exposure compensation down a notch or two?

Here's an image straight out of the camera that has blown reds, BUT when viewed on the web the blown highlights are toned down considerably. Interesting...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Still, looking at the RAW file, these red flowers are definitely blown and basically impossible to work with and get a quality image.

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey - please refer to me as she/her/Miss
Nikkor 28/2, 35/2.8-PC 55/1.2, 55/3.5 - Voigtländer 50/2.8 - Tamron SP 28-80, SP 60-300 - Pentax SMC Takumar 135/2.5, 200/4 - Lensbaby Composer Pro II w/Sweet35mm & Edge50mm | Canon 5DII | Sigma 12-24 - Canon 28-105 II, 85/1.8

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,986 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 05, 2007 14:45 |  #10

New Hobby wrote in post #4255820 (external link)
What kind of filter is needed to lower reds? I have seen an issue with taking shots of flowers on overcast days with the reds blown out.

you mean like this?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FOTOTIME

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,986 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 05, 2007 15:03 |  #11

twoshadows wrote in post #4257846 (external link)
I think I know what the op is talking about and I don't think you can do much about these blown reds in post. At least not for me, and I use PSCS and DPP. Maybe changing the color tone in-camera will help?

that's been my experience too. i just live with it :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

Lidor7
203 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 05, 2007 15:15 |  #12

twoshadows wrote in post #4258274 (external link)
Here's an image straight out of the camera that has blown reds, BUT when viewed on the web the blown highlights are toned down considerably. Interesting...

Still, looking at the RAW file, these red flowers are definitely blown and basically impossible to work with and get a quality image.

Perhaps you have the camera set to Adobe RGB rather than sRGB? I've heard that on the web, photos in Adobe RGB look a bit washed out for reasons more complicated than I care to relearn/elaborate on. Adobe will have a wider color gamut in print, though.

If you aren't shooting RAW and don't want to shoot RAW, you might try lowering the saturation on your camera settings. If you are shooting RAW and still blowing out the reds, try reducing exposure. Both these methods would probably require some PP afterwards to optimize the other colors.

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 05, 2007 16:10 |  #13

gasrocks wrote in post #4256804 (external link)
Opposite of red on the color wheel = about green. Therefore, a light green filter. But, I'd do it in PP myself.

Incorrect! That is true for pigment color, but not for light. (remember, the primary colors for light are red, green and blue, with the secondary colors being yellow, magenta and cyan.)

The opposite to red on the color wheel for visible light is Cyan...so a cyan filter should cut your reds.

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

New ­ Hobby
THREAD ­ STARTER
623 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 05, 2007 22:43 as a reply to  @ Jman13's post |  #14

Thanks all. I think I will try a cyan filter to bring down the reds two or three stops.

I have tried to bring the reds down and they are still over blown even when almost the rest of the shot was almost black using the exposure control in the PS raw converter. I have even tried to unexpost the shot and I just lose most of the rest of the shot.

Ed, that is a good example of it.

It only happens this badly if it is an overcast day.

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 06, 2007 00:20 |  #15

New Hobby wrote in post #4256756 (external link)
I tried that but the reds where so blown out I could not lower it in post processing.

Have you been using the RGB Histogram?

I find doing flower closeups that with red flowers, I must watch the red channel, while the other two are much lower. Guess I'm not surprised.

A long shot - Is it possible that you've accidentally changed the White Balance Shift/Bracket? It's on the menu as "WB SHIFT/BKT".

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

sponsored links

4,482 views & 0 likes for this thread
Filter to lower red
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.