Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Nov 2007 (Monday) 08:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Making the switch to a Mac

MazerRakhm
Colonel Mustard
2,277 posts
Joined May 2004

Nov 12, 2007 08:15 |  #1

Well, I did it. I pulled the trigger and ordered a Macbook Pro last night, this is a big deal as I've been a PC guy in the IT field for, well a good long while.

So now that I've made the leap and placed the order, where do I go when there is an issue and I don't know how to do something (beyond google)?

C'mon mac users, where are your favorite places to go to find tweaks/fixes/changes and stuff?

Thanks for looking!
-Kevin
Monkeys are the key to the universe. Since I couldn't find an Oompa Loompa, I am employing monkeys to porter my equipment and be my assistants.
Pearls of Wisdom...
Now remember Ralphie, if you're nose bleeds; you're either picking it too much or not enough. - Chief Wiggam
30D, Kit lens, 70-200 f2.8L, Nifty 50, 16-35 f2.8L
***ksmith.smugmug.com (external link) *** LiveJournal Blog (external link)***SportsShooter Member (external link)***

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 12, 2007 09:54 |  #2

Welcome aboard! You can try here. There are also forums at MacFixIt, MacRumors, MacNN and others.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

MazerRakhm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Colonel Mustard
2,277 posts
Joined May 2004

Nov 12, 2007 09:59 |  #3

Boy, I debated with myself a lot before doing it. I even hesitated at the purchase button! :lol:

When all is said and done though, I think I'm going to like it.

Thanks for looking!
-Kevin
Monkeys are the key to the universe. Since I couldn't find an Oompa Loompa, I am employing monkeys to porter my equipment and be my assistants.
Pearls of Wisdom...
Now remember Ralphie, if you're nose bleeds; you're either picking it too much or not enough. - Chief Wiggam
***ksmith.smugmug.com (external link) *** LiveJournal Blog (external link)***SportsShooter Member (external link)***

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 12, 2007 10:11 as a reply to  @ MazerRakhm's post |  #4

You can also try Apple's discussion boards. But I do read MacFixit daily. Quite useful.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 12, 2007 10:14 |  #5

MazerRakhm wrote in post #4301143 (external link)
Boy, I debated with myself a lot before doing it. I even hesitated at the purchase button!

You'll do fine, I think. Besides, if you don't like OS X, you can always install Vista or XP on your MBP. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, though. :)

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

nikonthree
316 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 12, 2007 10:26 |  #6

I am a fan of the Mac forums at Ars Technica (external link) and MacOSXHints (external link)

-Rich R.
Concept-A Photography (external link)

Hinson
Goldmember
2,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 12, 2007 10:33 |  #7

Mmm, a good thread. I'm a PC user since day one (back in the day of the 8086). I bought a PC becase I had been convinced that apples/macs were just for gamers and I wanted business applications.
Now, that I'm heavily into graphics and graphics programs, would I gain anything by switching to a MAC? Laptop of desktop? What would be the advantage?

Artist tools: Lumix FZ1000 (Canon 60D, 28/2.8, 10-22mm, Tamron 28-300mm VC ALL NOW FOR SALE - REASONABLE OFFER)
Blog: www.jerrywhitephotogra​phy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

jbkalla
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 12, 2007 10:54 |  #8

I like:

Macintouch (external link)
Versiontracker (external link)
Apple Discussion Boards (external link)

Also: InterfaceLift (external link)

My "necessity" apps:

Adium (external link) - Multi-client chat program
Reunion (external link) - Genealogy program
Cyberduck (external link) or Fetch (external link) - ftp programs
iClock (external link) - A more full-featured menubar clock
WeatherPop (external link) - A weather app for the menubar
Handbrake (external link) - DVD to MPEG-4 converter
Netflix Freak (external link) - An app that lets you change your Netflix queue without using a browser.
OmniGraffle (external link) or ConceptDraw (external link) - MS Visio replacements
VisualHub (external link) - Video converter
Toast (external link) - CD/DVD burning app
Coconut WiFi (external link) - Shows more detailed info about wireless networks than MacOS.
PhotoshopCS3 (external link) - Of course!
Oh, and Firefox (external link), of course! Though you might want to try Safari out for awhile to see if you like it better.

I know you were probably looking more for websites, but I had to list my favorite apps, too!

One tip: Clicking the "X" (upper-left-hand corner of the application window) in MacOS doesn't close the application; it just closes that window. To close the application, hit cmd-q or goto the filename menu at the upper-left-hand corner of your desktop and select "Quit <Filename>" Many new users are confused by this and end up having 50 applications open all the time.

Certainly I would try iLife (external link) and iWork (external link). They're comparatively inexpensive for what you get.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head! iChat is fantastic if you're talking to other Mac users, but for more utility, I prefer Adium.

The best laptop mouse I've ever used: Logitech VX Revolution (external link). They make a smaller version called the Nano, but I haven't tried it. The regular VX is perfect for me, since I hate trackpads.

For external drives, FW800 is great, though the cables are annoyingly thick. But the speed is about as fast as a drive will go. I have an external 2.5" FW800/eSATA drive that works great.

Magazines (USA) - Mac|Life (external link) and Macworld (external link). MacTech (external link) gets more into IT.

Congrats on your purchase! Have fun!

John
flickr (external link) | G+ (external link) | Panoramio (external link) | InterfaceLIFT (external link)
Fujifilm X-T2
| 10-24 f4 R OIS | 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR | XF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR | 16-55mm f/2.8 R LM WR | 56mm f/1.2 R | 27mm f/2.8 Pancake |  Retina iMac & MBP

jbkalla
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 12, 2007 10:57 |  #9

Hinson wrote in post #4301314 (external link)
Mmm, a good thread. I'm a PC user since day one (back in the day of the 8086). I bought a PC becase I had been convinced that apples/macs were just for gamers and I wanted business applications.
Now, that I'm heavily into graphics and graphics programs, would I gain anything by switching to a MAC? Laptop of desktop? What would be the advantage?

Oooh! I can give one answer for that: Photoshop is incredibly annoying on Windows (for me). It has to have a separate window open for the menu. I use CS2 at work on a PC and it drives me crazy, as I often have Photoshop and ImageReady open at the same time and am constantly clicking on the wrong toolbar. I'll post a picture of what i mean if I can.

John
flickr (external link) | G+ (external link) | Panoramio (external link) | InterfaceLIFT (external link)
Fujifilm X-T2
| 10-24 f4 R OIS | 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR | XF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR | 16-55mm f/2.8 R LM WR | 56mm f/1.2 R | 27mm f/2.8 Pancake |  Retina iMac & MBP

DavidEB
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 12, 2007 10:58 |  #10

since switching to a mac about 10 years ago I spend less time tweaking the computer and more time using it. let go of the PC ways.

David
my stuff - [URL="http://www.pbase​.com/davideb"]my gallery - [URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3928125&postcou​nt=1"]go Rats!

jbkalla
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 12, 2007 11:39 |  #11

OK. This probably doesn't show as well as I'd like to, but the pictures below illustrate one difference between mac and windows. At work, I have multiple 19" monitors, so not a lot of desktop space. I try to put the image on one monitor and the tools on another. I end up with this annoying extra window that has all the menus on it.

First pic is Windows. Second is MacOS.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

John
Fujifilm X-T2

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 12, 2007 12:06 |  #12

Hinson wrote in post #4301314 (external link)
Now, that I'm heavily into graphics and graphics programs, would I gain anything by switching to a MAC?

I don't think that reason alone is sufficient reason to switch. The hardware's all the same nowadays.

Laptop of desktop? What would be the advantage?

Laptop or desktop? Tough call - only you can answer that one. Advantages? I'm not sure I want to get into that one. Apple's starting to become too big, if you ask me.

MazerRakhm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Colonel Mustard
2,277 posts
Joined May 2004

Nov 12, 2007 12:28 |  #13

jbkalla wrote in post #4301438 (external link)
I like:
My "necessity" apps:

Congrats on your purchase! Have fun!

You're my hero!

I TOTALLY forgot about asking this question! It would have been the first thing I asked about when I got it too!

Thanks for looking!
-Kevin
Pearls of Wisdom...

Jonny
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 12, 2007 13:40 |  #14

Stick with Safari over firefox as it is a colour aware and obeys ICC profiles.

Jon. S. LRPS
------------
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 30D (for quick snaps)
Loads of L's

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 12, 2007 13:45 |  #15

Unless you're doing stuff that doesn't require accurate colors. Sometimes Firefox is better than Safari.

(Woo-hoo! My 2000 post!)

sponsored links

3,863 views & 0 likes for this thread
Making the switch to a Mac
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.