Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Oct 2007 (Monday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 14, 2007 14:24 |  #121

Randy, look at your post count. You want to tell us anything? :evil::evil::evil::evil::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sponsored links
fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 14, 2007 14:33 |  #122

dharmon,

I think that we are all anxious to see you posting pics. I know what you mean about being critical of your images now that you have learned a bit more. I think we all go through that. If my images don't pass my muster they will never see the light of day, whether the parents like them or not :p I have a reputation of quality that I want to preserve, just in case I ever decide to make this a side business. I find myself competing with the hired meet photogs on image quality and the parents tell me that they like my images better. That being said, our club host one big meet per year, The Friendship Challenge, and I have been presented with the opportunity to shoot the meet and to assemble the program guide and club yearbook. A lot of work but it would be the single largest fund raising activity for our booster club.

One thing that I can tell you is that the better you get at post processing the better your images will get. One of the biggest challenges is getting a consistent lighting in these gyms and your images, no matter how much you prepare, are going to reflect this. If you master the lighting adjustments in your post processing the the quality really shows through.

Keep shooting and post some images!

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 14, 2007 15:44 |  #123

Welcome to the world of Gymnastics, Mike! I feel like I'm talking to myself! :p

Definitely faster glass is the way to go. Unfortunately that also means more $$. For me I'm shooting with a 70-200 f/4 and 300mm f/4, both a bit slow. Since I'm not trying to sell any of my sports stuff, just shooting my kids, I'm "happy" with my f/4 stuff for now.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 14, 2007 15:48 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #124

Rich,

When it comes to computers I feel like the proverbial "old dog/new trick" but I am determined! :lol: So tell me is DPP all I need? I'm not ready to drop BIG$ on software. I almost bought elements 8 but not sure if it just duplicates DPP?!
As you all know this is not cheap,. While I don't mind spending money when needed I certainly want it spent wisely. Any direction/advice is appreciated.

I understand how you feel about wanting only your best work seen. However, recently our team photos were taken by a professional. The results were less than good ( I'm being polite) At the same time, I was taking what I considered nothing more than snapshots. Mine were much better, no PP straight out of camera. Let me just say- I am barely a novice and certainly don't consider myself to be anything but. That being said, this guy had a full complement of gear and the results were poor. This was not just my opinion. NO one was happy with his pics, yet they bought them.

I think many who use photography to make a living know that parents will most always buy a poor pic over having nothing at all. I don't subscribe to this way of thinking. IMO you should provide high quality in everything you do. So that leaves me with a lot of practice ahead of me:D

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 14, 2007 16:16 as a reply to  @ dharmon's post |  #125

Darrel,

Everybody knows my dirty little secret in that I shoot with a Nikon (or Nikrap as it has been called) so I am assuming that DPP is the photo software that came with the canon camera?

I use Capture NX for 95% of all of my post processing. It is the best raw converter for Nikon Raw (.nef) formats and it gives the ability to adjust ALL in camera settings after the fact. Here is my typical workflow:

1. Move all .nef files to my computer
(my pictures/gymnastics/co​mpetitions/2007/event name)

2. Capture NX allows me to view all of the thumbnails and mark/sort by keepers, maybe, trash. I scan all of the images, sort them, toss out the bad ones

3. open one raw file, make white balance adjustments, and then batch process the rest of the files with the same settings.

4. Adjust levels and curves according to brightest whites and darkest darks

5. Noise reduction (two techniques depending on how much noise is present)

6. Sharpen (again, two techniques depending on which NR method used)

7. Compose and crop to 5x7

8. Resize for print

9. save RAW

10. When all RAW files are done, batch convert to .jpg

11. Batch upload to http://public.fotki.co​m/fugfuggy/gymnastics/ (external link)

12. zip up all files and off load to CD for backup.

each images takes less than a minute and if a parent wants something other than a 5x7 then I will do additional processing (increasing the resolution for poster size images for example)

Now, having said all of that, when selecting PP softare you will want something that will allow you to do all of the adjustments that I have listed, a bit less if you are not shooting raw (highly recommended though). You can search around for some pretty cheap, yet effective, solutions that will do the above.

Now if you want to do image editing like removing blemishes, cloning out objects, then photoshop cs or elements is the way to go. Here is an example. The coach and parent of this little one really loved the image and wanted it poster size. I did all of the PP in Capture NX, converted it to 16bit .tif file, imported into PS CS2, cloned out the girl in the back ground and viola:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE: http://images31.fotki.com/v1051/photos/1/1034366/5576165/sarah_16x20copy-vi.jpg

This was printed at 24x36 and came out great! They absolutely loved it.

So you see, the answer to your question really depends on the intent. Hope this helps.

Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 14, 2007 16:26 as a reply to  @ dharmon's post |  #126

Haven't contributed anything yet to this thread. A new job has moved me to MA, while the family stays in VA for a while... Here are a few that I did get recently before I made the move north. The light was the worst I've ever dealt with. It was provided by widely spaced incandescent bulbs and one large window / door! I shot at ISO 3200, f/2.8 setting my shutter between 1/125 and 1/160 depending how close I was to the one window!. I shot in RAW, underexposing a stop or more, and then pushed it back in PP. You can be sure Noiseware Pro was used!!!

I didn't bother trying to get any good action shots. Too slow of a shutter!

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

3. Finally, I could use my flash! The team won the 1st place level 7 team trophy.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 14, 2007 16:33 |  #127

Hey Lacks_Focus,

Isn't it fun to face the most challenging environments and still come out with a few keepers while you see all of the other hapless parents with their point and shoots not having a prayer of capturing the memories?

Nice images for the environment that you were in, iso 3200, 2.8, 1/160 and underexposed at that, JEEEEEZZZ!

BTW, can you go to the first page of this thread and add your name to the list so we know who you are?

Congrats to your little one! Keep posting!

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 14, 2007 16:52 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #128

Thanks for taking the time to type allthat info for me Rich. It will def help.Yes, DPP is canon's equiv to NX. I'll have to try to apply that flow to DPP. Of course anyone using DPP who wants to contribute would be welcome:D?

Looks like I'll need elements if it will allow me to remove unwanted clutter. I'm willing to spend $100 but not several hundred for CS. I've had several pics which would benefit. BTW I certainly see why the coach wanted that Pic-very nice!

Great Info, Thanks Again
Darrell

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 14, 2007 17:19 |  #129

fugfuggy wrote in post #4316338 (external link)

Nice images for the environment that you were in, iso 3200, 2.8, 1/160 and underexposed at that, JEEEEEZZZ!

Yikes! :eek:

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 14, 2007 18:58 |  #130

fugfuggy wrote in post #4316338 (external link)
Hey Lacks_Focus,

Isn't it fun to face the most challenging environments and still come out with a few keepers while you see all of the other hapless parents with their point and shoots not having a prayer of capturing the memories?

BTW, can you go to the first page of this thread and add your name to the list so we know who you are?

Congrats to your little one! Keep posting!

Thanks for the comments, and sure, add me to the list. Lacks_focus, real name Dan. I have posted a few gymnastics pics here before, just not to the running gym threads like this one. Good idea to keep the corporate knowledge in one or two threads!

I know what you mean about the folks with P&S cams. You have to wonder what they’re capturing when you consider how much it takes to get ANYTHING in conditions like that. I used to do it (rather poorly) with 1600 speed Fuji Press film and my old 1N with a Tokina 80-200 f/2.8 mounted. Questionable focus and grain the size of soft balls! I saw a parent at this meet with an old Rebel film SLR using the coveted 75-300 f/4.5-5.6! Not saying it can't be done, but...

Unfortunately, I don't know how much I'll be able to shoot this year because of my job situation. The lighting for this last meet was really frustrating because it is likely the only one I'll be able to go to all season.

I saw the name nhbeast, from Ansonia, CT with a few posts in this thread. When my family moves out this summer, we'll settle east of Hartford, CT. Maybe we'll bump in to one another at a meet next year.

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

orophin
89 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 15, 2007 08:19 |  #131

I chose the wrong perspective on the first 3 photos. You got too much lit behind the subject and that ruined the shots!

C6D|C400D|C24-70|C70-200 F4 IS
Canon Speedlite 580EXII
Flickr (external link)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 15, 2007 08:39 |  #132

orophin wrote in post #4319871 (external link)
I chose the wrong perspective on the first 3 photos. You got too much lit behind the subject and that ruined the shots!

To what are you referring?

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 15, 2007 09:33 |  #133

orophin wrote in post #4319871 (external link)

Which photos?

whoopsjenny
112 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 15, 2007 09:51 as a reply to  @ dharmon's post |  #134

Wow all these pics are great.. they really make me miss gymnastics :cry: Now that I'm married I want to have a daugther so I can go to her meets and take pictures! :lol:

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 15, 2007 09:59 |  #135

whoopsjenny wrote in post #4320277 (external link)
Wow all these pics are great.. they really make me miss gymnastics :cry: Now that I'm married I want to have a daugther so I can go to her meets and take pictures! :lol:

Yep, It's a lot of fun!

sponsored links

115,351 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.