Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Nov 2007 (Thursday) 08:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shutter Speed in Rebel XTi

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,121 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 15, 2007 18:12 |  #16

An Exposure is all about light and sensor sensitivity! Ways to get a brighter exposure are to either get a slower shutter speed ( which you obviously dont want ), get a faster aperture ( which you could do by purchasing a faster lens ), or turn up your ISO.

However, all of these have drawbacks potentially.

Slower shutter speed = more light but may blur motion
Faster aperture = more light but shallower DOF and may cause things to be OOF
Higher ISO = brighter exposure but adds noise to the picture

Pick your poison!

flickr (external link)

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 15, 2007 23:22 |  #17

JeffreyG wrote in post #4322749 (external link)
Underexposure at high ISO makes for images that are too noisy to use really. I suppose your solution to convert to B&W and pass the noise off as an artisitc effect is occasionably workable but not often.

When I am working at high ISO I usually try to overexpose slightly and push the histogram to the right. This creates very clean images.

Yes, the 40D has pretty low noise at 1600 or even 3200 when exposed properly. But again, my situation is that I'm already using f2.8 and I need to maintain shutter speed. There's nothing I can do except to tell the restaurant to turn on more lights, with the equipment I have.

I do not try to underexpose on purpose. But my point to the OP is that in some situation your only choices are 1) noisy underexposed pictures (but sharp and no blur), or 2) properly exposed blurry pictures with low noise. The first situation is somewhat usable (and somewhat fixable with Noise Ninja or some other noise reduction programs or plug-ins). There's no fix for the 2nd.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,318 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shutter Speed in Rebel XTi
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.