Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Nov 2007 (Friday) 03:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon 400 d problems

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 16, 2007 13:53 |  #16

bisisica,

If you follow my suggestion above, you can be in P, Av, Tv or M and use exposure compensation. P&S cameras would be challenged by that scene as well. If you pointed the camera into dark shadows it would make the shadow areas look great but the wall would look too blown out. Try my suggestion and see how it works!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,955 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 16, 2007 14:08 |  #17

form wrote in post #4327894 (external link)
Sunny f16 shouldn't be used for 35mm-format Digital SLRs. Use sunny f/10 or f/8 and set to ISO100.

Eh? I've found the "sunny 16" rule works perfectly on my DSLR. Recently I took a shot of a sunny landscape with lots of variation (sky, clouds, ocean, mountains, trees) in the picture and the camera's meter chose 1/400 at f/16 - my ISO was 400.

The exposure was perfect.

Just like the rule says.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

bisisica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2007 05:27 as a reply to  @ number six's post |  #18

i have a canon 70-200 f4 L lens but can't get very sharp results. when i use manual focus( but this is time consuming) i end up with sharper pictures. is this normal?

bisisica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2007 05:38 |  #19

bisisica wrote in post #4331645 (external link)
i have a canon 70-200 f4 L lens but can't get very sharp results. when i use manual focus( but this is time consuming) i end up with sharper pictures. is this normal?

here is an example taken using a tripod. the first shutter 1/25, aperture f4, iso 100,focal lenght 185mm, program mode aperture priority, metering mode average. i had better results using my PS......i'm sorry for the bad sample:(((

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

bisisica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2007 05:40 as a reply to  @ bisisica's post |  #20

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2007 06:13 as a reply to  @ bisisica's post |  #21

That image does indeed look poor. You should be able to get much better results than that with a 400D plus 70-200 F4. What file size are you using? Have you tried shooting in RAW format.

Steve.

Gear List

bisisica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2007 07:34 as a reply to  @ gofer's post |  #22

the image above was resized. i don't know how to maintain the image quality...yet:)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 17, 2007 07:52 |  #23

here is an example taken using a tripod. the first shutter 1/25, aperture f4, iso 100,focal lenght 185mm, program mode aperture priority,

That's fine if you want the effect that you got. But if you wanted something else, like more of the leaves in focus, then you have to take control & put in the settings you need to get it.

Again, "First set the f-stop & shutter speed you need. Then adjust the ISO. Need an exposure crutch?"
And these:

Virtual Camera
http://www.photonhead.​com/simcam/ (external link)

Shooting by selecting settings yourself (external link)
Notice the background change when you use his "Shutter and Aperture" settings!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2007 07:53 as a reply to  @ bisisica's post |  #24

I wasn't refering to the size you re-sized your picture to in order to post on the forum, I was refering to the file size you have the camera set at ie. 'L', 'M', 'S', 'RAW' etc.

Steve.

Gear List

Overkill
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 17, 2007 08:00 |  #25

bisisica wrote in post #4331660 (external link)
here is an example taken using a tripod. the first shutter 1/25, aperture f4, iso 100,focal lenght 185mm, program mode aperture priority, metering mode average. i had better results using my PS......i'm sorry for the bad sample:(((

Was their a wind blowing! (movement of the leaves at 1/25 is a problem!

Canon EOS 40D Gripped / 20D Gripped, EF 70-200 2.8L, [COLOR=black]EF 100-400 IS USM L, EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM, EF-S 10-22 USM, Sigma 105mm 2.8 EX Macro, Kenko 2XTC DG Kenko 1.4TC DG, Kenko Extension Tubes DG 12-20, Canon Speedlite 580EX, Manfrotto Tripod!

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2007 08:06 as a reply to  @ Overkill's post |  #26

bisisica, these were taken with my 400D fitted with a 70-200 f4:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i60.photobucket​.com …les/IMG_2007111​5_3049.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i60.photobucket​.com …/IMG_20071115_3​033_cr.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Not the most technically correct images it's true but they do show what is easily possible with your gear.

Steve.

Gear List

bisisica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2007 08:31 as a reply to  @ gofer's post |  #27

i have the lens for 3 days. i see your pictures are taken in bright light. i am still waiting for the sun to come out:) does she sharpness of a picture have anything to do with the light?...sunny day....sharp picture?( i am not reffering to a faster shutter speed....and no movement...)

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2007 09:01 as a reply to  @ bisisica's post |  #28

Obviously bright light allows for faster shutter speeds and therefore less chance of the dreaded 'shakes', but providing the image is properly exposed and the camera properly supported light shouldn't effect the sharpness of an image - although sharpness may be perceived as being better in brightly lit images due to the increase in contrast.

Steve.

Gear List

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 17, 2007 10:27 |  #29

When I had my 400D/XTi, I found myself spending too much time second-guessing what the Canon evaluative metering mode is "thinking". Finally, I decide it's not worth my trouble and just use center-weight most of the time. Partial during some situation, and also adjust compensation when required. I learned photography using center-weight, so that's intuitive to me.

That's why there are all these metering modes. Different users, different scenarios.

Another thing is that the 400D's evaluative metering really wants to protect highlights. My theory is that they assume most users will shoot in JPEG and if they blow the highlights, they're gone. That's a valid point, but 1) straight out of the camera, many shots are underexposed; and 2) if you shoot RAW, you can pull back some of the blown highlights anyways.

Those are additional reasons why I didn't use evaluative metering with my 400D/XTi, and still don't with my 40D.

---

As for the Sunny 16 rule. Metering is valid, but most lenses are most sharp with least aberration at f8-11. f16 doesn't give one the best IQ.

---

As for that 185mm picture at 1/25, I hope there's no air movement at all and your tripod is sturdy enough for the 40D + 70-200/f4 combo. It's a dark scene and that shutter speed is very slow. You already maxed out the aperture, so you need to bump up your ISO. Moving from 100 to 400 will mean upping the shutter speed to 1/100.

You also mentioned you get better results with manual focus. That means autofocus is not doing its job. What mode are you in and which focus point? For a picture like that, you should be using one-shot mode and use only center point focus. Sometimes refocus will also help.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

sponsored links

2,639 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon 400 d problems
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.