Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 17 Nov 2007 (Saturday) 19:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

photo editing software

joevol
99 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2007 19:58 |  #1

what do you guys recommend for photo editing. i use adobe, but was wondering about that software, lightroom. is that the correct name?

sponsored links
Rock
207 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2007 20:00 |  #2

Personally I like PS CS3 and Adobe Lightroom.

~Rock
Personal Site (external link) | 500px (external link) | Facebook (external link)
Canon 40D Gripped | Canon 18-55mm IS | Canon 18-135mm IS | Sigma 70-300mm | Other stuff

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,963 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 18, 2007 16:27 |  #3

I use Paint Shop Pro XI. Like it a lot. It seems to have most of the features of Photoshop plus a number of handy features that PS is missing.

Current version is X2, btw...

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

Stormin_24
Cream of the Crop
5,810 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 18, 2007 17:04 as a reply to  @ number six's post |  #4

Photoshop, Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006... It really depends on the photo and what needs to be done...

New Hampshire State Bird: Purple Finch
http://www.netstate.co​m …birds/nh_purple​_finch.htm (external link)
Gear
Norman
Did they get you to trade, your hero's for ghosts?

kwsanders
Goldmember
1,259 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 18, 2007 17:57 |  #5

I use Adobe's Lightroom on my Mac and my Dell laptop. It has a lot of image editing features, but if you want to do other things like more in depth cleaning of an image or other processing, you would want something like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to pair with it.

Kerry Sanders | flickr (external link)
60D w/BG-E9 grip, 20D w/BG-E2 grip, 400mm f/5.6L, 70-200mm f/4L, 17-40 f/4L, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, Canon 1.4x II Extender, 580EX Flash
Manfrotto MK190XPRO3-BH with 496RC2 Ball Head
Full Gear List

killerbab
265 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 18, 2007 17:59 |  #6

i currently have CS3 and lightroom. Best combination. I find myself using lightroom more and more and only using cs3 for heavy edits.

I have previously used Elements 5, and Microsoft Digital Image suite 2006. Meh, adn Meh.

**Does anyone have any luck with Phase 1 Capture One Pro? A local pro uses it, and says it is all he uses.**

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 18, 2007 18:10 as a reply to  @ killerbab's post |  #7

Lightroom and CS2 for me.

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 19, 2007 06:55 |  #8

If just starting off in photo-editing, I'd recomend Photoshop Elements or Corel's Paintshop Pro. It's a large price jump from the likes of those to CS3... so they're great for getting used to PP at low-entry price, and then you can make an informed decision on if you need more.

For me LR paired with Elements I think is a great combo. I get the full power of ACR in LR without buying CS3, and with LR I don't even go into Elements all that often (although it IS needed for selective edits, layers, text, when desired; LR basicly only does global edits.)

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

mgreenlee
133 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 21, 2007 17:28 |  #9

I use CS2. What is the difference between it and using "Lightroom"? Also, do you need both or can on use "Lightroom" only?

Marion Greenlee
EOS 5D, 40D, 350D,
EF 28-135 IS USM, EF 28M F2.8, EF 35-135 F4-5.6 USM, EF 100-300 F4.5-5.6 USM, Tamron 1.4X,

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 21, 2007 17:30 |  #10

Lightroom is, as I understand it, primarily for photo organization, while Photoshop is your all-purpose image editor. I use GIMP; it's free, and does just about everything Photoshop does (and an awful lot more than Photoshop Elements).

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

Baadil
856 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 21, 2007 21:22 |  #11

number six wrote in post #4340251 (external link)
I use Paint Shop Pro XI. Like it a lot. It seems to have most of the features of Photoshop plus a number of handy features that PS is missing.

Current version is X2, btw...

-js

Wouls you care to say which features are in x2 but not in ps? Perhaps if I like 'em, i will but it.

bieber wrote in post #4361284 (external link)
Lightroom is, as I understand it, primarily for photo organization, while Photoshop is your all-purpose image editor. I use GIMP; it's free, and does just about everything Photoshop does (and an awful lot more than Photoshop Elements).

I would have to respectfully disagree. Lightroom is a lot more than just a photo organizer. It is a very powerful image adjustment software. It is primarily geared towards photographers. It does, however, has its limitations. If you need to manipulate images (layers, photo retouching, restoration etc) you will need something more feature rich and complex like Photoshop. I am not sure about Gimp as I have never used it so I will leave that for Gimp experts.

Canon EOS 400D Xti (Poor man's 1D,) Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6, Canon 18-55mm Kit; Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 22, 2007 00:45 |  #12

CS3 And Lightroom 1.3 for me. Mainly hit the images up with lightroom, quicker easier and its all organized.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,963 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 22, 2007 12:31 |  #13

Baadil wrote in post #4362591 (external link)
Wouls you care to say which features are in x2 but not in ps? Perhaps if I like 'em, i will but it.

First off, I haven't used Photoshop since version 4 so I'm no authority at all.

Talking to my friends who use PS CS2, though, sounds like they don't have these features that are on the PSP XI toolbar:

• fill flash simulation (excellent tool)
  • backlight simulation (not particularly impressive)
  • barrel distortion correction
  • pincushion distortion correction
  • fisheye correction
  • perspective correction
  • chromatic aberration removal
  • high pass sharpening
Perhaps the latest version of Photoshop has all these features, though. I don't know.

The current version, PSP X2, also has built-in HDR which sounds promising.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

kevin_c
Cream of the Crop
5,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 22, 2007 13:21 |  #14

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom for cataloguing and basic raw adjustments
Adobe Photoshop CS2 for everything else including printing

-- K e v i n --

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 22, 2007 17:47 |  #15

number six wrote in post #4365745 (external link)
First off, I haven't used Photoshop since version 4 so I'm no authority at all.

Talking to my friends who use PS CS2, though, sounds like they don't have these features that are on the PSP XI toolbar:
  • fill flash simulation (excellent tool)
  • backlight simulation (not particularly impressive)
  • barrel distortion correction
  • pincushion distortion correction
  • fisheye correction
  • perspective correction
  • chromatic aberration removal
  • high pass sharpening
Perhaps the latest version of Photoshop has all these features, though. I don't know.

The current version, PSP X2, also has built-in HDR which sounds promising.

-js

Apparently your friends don't have much of a clue about Photoshop either because all those features with the exception of "backlight simulation" are present in Photoshop.

Gear List

sponsored links

2,609 views & 0 likes for this thread
photo editing software
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.