Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Nov 2007 (Friday) 12:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ProShow Gold Output Resolution

buddy4344
Goldmember
1,535 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 16, 2007 12:02 |  #1

I am considering purchasing ProShow Gold. I want to put together presentations of my slides both direct from PC to the large screen TV and also burded onto DVD's or CD's to send out to family and friends.

Based on suggestions here, I downloaded the "free 15 day trial" version of PrShow Gold. In the trial version, you get a large yellow banner across the output slides saying this is a demo version - no problem there. BUT, also in the trial version, I could only burn the DVD with quite low resolution - something like 720x480. BIG QUESTION - in the real version, can I burn the copies at a much higher resolution so folks with high definition can better appreciate my work?

Also - if anyone has a better method for me to accomplish my goal, speak up as I expect to make a purchase decision in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

sponsored links
islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 16, 2007 15:43 |  #2

Hi Buddy,

There are multiple resolution output options with the full version of Proshow Gold. I am not positive, but I also believe they may have added HD resolution to their most recent release. I will double check this evening when I get home and post back with a definite answer.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 17, 2007 08:41 |  #3

DVDs are reasonably low resolution, you can't just increase it because TVs and DVD players can't show it. Google of DVD resolution. Proshow makes great 1080p shows, you just have to choose your output format appropriately.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Zepher
Goldmember
1,626 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 17, 2007 13:39 |  #4

just an FYI, if Pro Show does output in HD, then you will need to burn it onto an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray Disc (both formats are quite expensive at the moment).
720x480 is the native resolution of Standard Definition NTSC TV (used for DVD's, VHS, DV, etc).

Here is some pricing on blank Blu-Ray Disc,
http://www.shop4tech.c​om/z/Blu_ray_Media/1_2​99/ (external link)
and a Blu-Ray burner,
http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6827106037 (external link)

and HD-DVD media
http://www.shop4tech.c​om/z/HD_Media/1_329/ (external link)
I can't find a burner for HD-DVD at the moment, but the last time I looked, it was $1000 for the one that I saw.

Manny Desantos
Intel C2Q Q6600 3.06Ghz, 8GB Ram, 8.1TB, XFX HD5850, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, PS CS4 EXT (external link)

Canon 40D, EF 28-70L, 2x Canon XH-A1 HDV, Canon HV30 HDV
❶_______________

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,535 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 18, 2007 09:29 |  #5

Folks,
Thanks a lot for the feedback.
Sometimes, the obvious just slips by. I didn't consider about the fact that the standard TV native was that low nor the fact that I need to burn to an HD disc and play on an HD player.

Based on the above, for my personal use, i will want to directly connect my PC to the DVI/HDMI connection to view high resolution ... and when burning for friends, I will just have to explain for now and wait for the HD price wars to settle and prices to drop a little.

Sometimes, the obvious just slips by.

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

Photoxic
50 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 18, 2007 11:22 |  #6

I use Proshow Producer and it's the best I've used. The resolution is high quality. I've used different slideshow softwares, but they were low resolution when you view it on TV. I started off just making slideshows for my friends and family, but I've ended up making some money from it. If you're looking for a professional slideshow software or just for personal use, then you will be very happy with the Proshow Gold or the Producer.

CANON EOS 40D
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 ll | BG-E2N | My next lens... 70-200mm f2.8 IS

NIKON D80
18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF DX VR

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 18, 2007 15:41 |  #7

Buddy, just make an exe show, I have one of those at the native resolution of my 40" LCD which is connected to the PC, it looks amazing. 1366x768 I think it is.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2007 12:38 |  #8

Just wanted to post back as promised. Proshow gold can indeed produce video files in 480i, 480p, 1080i and 1080p. As others have mentioned, you would have to burn these files to an HD DVD and then have a HD DVD player to be able to watch them. Otherwise, the highest quality standard def resolution is perfectly fine for TV viewing.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

lostdoggy
King Duffus
4,787 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 19, 2007 12:50 |  #9

Just tested Proshow myself and there is one imporant difference if you have a multicore processor, gold does not take advantage of the multicore whereas produce does. Big difference when it comes time to render. On a 42min slideshow gold took couple of hours whereas produce took under an hour.

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 19, 2007 14:01 |  #10

lostdoggy wrote in post #4345840 (external link)
Just tested Proshow myself and there is one imporant difference if you have a multicore processor, gold does not take advantage of the multicore whereas produce does. Big difference when it comes time to render. On a 42min slideshow gold took couple of hours whereas produce took under an hour.

Rendering a DVD using Proshow Gold 3.x on my PC uses both of my cores 100%.

lostdoggy
King Duffus
4,787 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 19, 2007 19:45 |  #11

tim wrote in post #4346305 (external link)
Rendering a DVD using Proshow Gold 3.x on my PC uses both of my cores 100%.

It shows the same on mine with Gold, but with Producer it tells you that it is rendering with both cores (on duo core systems) and when viewing performance from WTM it shows that both cores are running with each core running independently and not at 100% like Gold version. As I have mention before, I rendered a 42 min slideshow with both SW and Producer rendered in less then half the time gold took to render the same slide show on the same machine.

Zepher
Goldmember
1,626 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 19, 2007 19:55 |  #12

Producer probably has a more optimized rendering engine than PS Gold.

Manny Desantos
Intel C2Q Q6600 3.06Ghz, 8GB Ram, 8.1TB, XFX HD5850, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, PS CS4 EXT (external link)

Canon 40D, EF 28-70L, 2x Canon XH-A1 HDV, Canon HV30 HDV
❶_______________

sponsored links

5,137 views & 0 likes for this thread
ProShow Gold Output Resolution
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.