Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Oct 2007 (Monday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 17, 2007 14:13 |  #151

GBRandy wrote in post #4333397 (external link)
OK...here is another at ISO 3200 with about a 50% crop....wanted to see if the PP workflow allowed for any "meaningful" cropping before noise became unmanageable....

This look OK on my monitor but would like some feedback from others as each monitor is different....

QUOTED IMAGE

nice capture.. what speed are you shooting this with and which lens?

I tried shooting with a 17-50 tamron 2.8 at H/3200 in the basketball gym and the shutter speed isn't quick enough to capture the fast moments.

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

sponsored links
GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 17, 2007 14:39 |  #152

MKIIn, 135 / f2 lens, 1/640 @ f2, ISO 3200.

Even at that speed you can see movement in her feet & fingers....

Some gyms do not allow for that high a shutter speed... One gym we go to we are lucky to get above 1/120... :(

As Brice and others stated, f2.8 is as slow as a lens as you can consider for these venues and why I own the 50, 85 & 135 lenses.....

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 17, 2007 17:12 |  #153

OK...here is another at ISO 3200 with about a 50% crop....wanted to see if the PP workflow allowed for any "meaningful" cropping before noise became unmanageable....

This look OK on my monitor but would like some feedback from others as each monitor is different....

Looks good to me! :D

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 17, 2007 20:29 |  #154

Guess what!?!

My little Monkey just placed first on Beam and 3rd all around at states!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wuuuuuuuuuu Hooooooooo!

The competiton was soooooo tough, 40 girls in her age group. She got over a 9.0 in each event but only placed top 10 in 1! You know how you see a lot of girls walking around with 5 medals around their necks at most meets? Not here. I did not see one girl with more than three. The scores were insanely high. Anyway, she will now have a banner hanging from the rafters in her gym and she is very happy about that.

I will post pics during the week but I just had to share the news now. Proud daddy indeed!

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 17, 2007 21:55 |  #155

Congrats!....that is very cool! Tell your daughter the same....very nice. State and National placings are a big deal!

GBRandy
---------------

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 17, 2007 23:03 |  #156

fugfuggy wrote in post #4335447 (external link)
Guess what!?!

My little Monkey just placed first on Beam and 3rd all around at states!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wuuuuuuuuuu Hooooooooo!

The competiton was soooooo tough, 40 girls in her age group. She got over a 9.0 in each event but only placed top 10 in 1! You know how you see a lot of girls walking around with 5 medals around their necks at most meets? Not here. I did not see one girl with more than three. The scores were insanely high. Anyway, she will now have a banner hanging from the rafters in her gym and she is very happy about that.

I will post pics during the week but I just had to share the news now. Proud daddy indeed!

Congratulations for the both of you! :D

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 18, 2007 11:36 |  #157

QUOTED IMAGE

1. It looks like she was fired out of a cannon... :D
2. Looks great on my monitor. Whatever you are doing for workflow is keeping the noise down to a minimum. I have trouble getting my noise that low at 1600 on the same camera while keeping the images sharp. Perhaps I need to do it in DPP instead of PSCS2 with Neat Image.

I'm off to see the details about PP in the other thread.

Nice work!!!

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 18, 2007 11:38 |  #158

Guess what!?!

Give that monkey a banana!!! Can't wait to see picutures.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

kpsack
22 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 18, 2007 21:39 |  #159

Guess what!?!

Wuuuuuuuuuu Hooooooooo!

That is fantastic. Tell her she should be very proud of herself. Cannot wait to see the pictures!

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2007 13:19 as a reply to  @ kpsack's post |  #160

Hey guys just back from states. My gymbug placed 1st on floor, 1st vault, 2nd bars and 3rd all around! The team took 2nd and we had a bunch of happy little girls! and more than one proud Dad!

I'll try to send pics soon.

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 19, 2007 13:21 |  #161

Good for you ( and the daughter)!!! Beam not her thing huh?

GBRandy
---------------

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2007 13:47 as a reply to  @ GBRandy's post |  #162

Actually Randy, while beam is not her strongest exercise she hasn't had any real problems with it either. Her scor on beam was an 8.5 and that was with a fall. That cost her 1st place by .225 AA The competition was tough.

Have any of you worried that the girls seeing you w/the camera is too distracting? Beam was the 1st event for her and she knew I was there. I tried to become invisible after the fall.

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 19, 2007 13:51 as a reply to  @ dharmon's post |  #163

Rich,
Congratulations to your daughter! Just saw your post with the results.

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 19, 2007 14:03 |  #164

dharmon wrote in post #4346221 (external link)
Actually Randy, while beam is not her strongest exercise she hasn't had any real problems with it either. Her scor on beam was an 8.5 and that was with a fall. That cost her 1st place by .225 AA The competition was tough.

Have any of you worried that the girls seeing you w/the camera is too distracting? Beam was the 1st event for her and she knew I was there. I tried to become invisible after the fall.

That is a great score....

I learned a long time ago a good photographer is never noticed. I take great pride when people bump into me and say...oh I didn't even know you were there. Lots of of crouching, sitting corners & longer lenses seem to help. Incognito is best and picking places to sit and be invisible is half the challenge. The girls never know I ma shooting during the event.....between events they are a bunch of hams.....

IMAGE: http://www.ymcagymstars.com/2007_2008_Photos/Appleton2007/pictures/picture-35.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.ymcagymstars.com/2007_2008_Photos/Appleton2007/pictures/picture-36.jpg

GBRandy
---------------

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 19, 2007 14:45 as a reply to  @ GBRandy's post |  #165

Cute pictures Randy.

I've found that eventually the girls don't even notice you. They might have a problem at the first meet or so. I just did a meet where I was actually on the floor and most of our team didn't even realize there was a photographer taking pictures while they were warming up and competing. They learn to tune you out. If they can't tune you out, how can they tune the "official" photographer up in their face.

Brice
Gear List

sponsored links

115,114 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.