Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Nov 2007 (Tuesday) 04:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Broke My 40D's Shutter :(

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 21, 2007 02:00 as a reply to  @ post 4356926 |  #46

Digital Man, thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience as a way of reminding us about following procedures. Before I cleaned my camera's sensor the first time, I had read so many tales of woe on this forum, I was a bit jumpy about doing it. However, it served to make me be extra careful about following instructions and avoid getting in a hurry about things.

There is no need for me to point out things that you may have done wrong since you are already painfully aware of it. I just hope that the damage is not too bad and that others will learn from your experience.

Concerning cleaning products, I have not read very much on this forum about Dust Aid which makes me think that it is not on the "most favorite" list. I believe that most of the participants here try using a rubber bulb type blower as the first step in cleaning since it is quick, easy, and safe. If that doesn't give satisfactory results then most everybody goes for their favorite method of wet cleaning.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

sponsored links
::John::
Cream of the Crop
8,551 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 21, 2007 03:22 |  #47

DigitalMan - that's a bummer.

While it is being repaired, be sure to ask them to clean that sensor for you, too ;)

franklinn
previously 'CorporationMe'
1,424 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 21, 2007 03:24 |  #48

bill boehme wrote in post #4357187 (external link)
Concerning cleaning products, I have not read very much on this forum about Dust Aid which makes me think that it is not on the "most favorite" list. I

Dust-Aid appears to be a good product (perhaps not the best, but some have found it to be useful). It's a relatively newer product, so that's probably why you have seen or heard much about it.

Just make sure to check the compatibility list before you use Dust-Aid on one of your cameras!

Frank | 5D MK II
| 35 1.4L | Marketplace Feedback

::John::
Cream of the Crop
8,551 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 21, 2007 03:28 |  #49

CorporationMe wrote in post #4357363 (external link)
Dust-Aid appears to be a good product (perhaps not the best, but some have found it to be useful). It's a relatively newer product, so that's probably why you have seen or heard much about it.

Just make sure to check the compatibility list before you use Dust-Aid on one of your cameras!

oi!

You said you didn't want to hijack this thread...

steveathome
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 21, 2007 03:30 |  #50

Double Negative wrote in post #4351838 (external link)
D'ohhh! That's why they say to plug it in and not do this on battery... ;)

Personally I would rather do it with a fully charged battery, who's to say there wont be a dip in the mains or even total power failure?

jj_photography
997 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 21, 2007 03:45 |  #51

Awww. That's quite sad to hear. Let's hope that the cost of the repair wont be that much $$$$..

My Website (external link)
BLOG (external link)

andrewaaa5
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 21, 2007 03:47 |  #52

Don't use BULB / M mode as the sensor is then active and recording and 'charged', thus can attract more dust/dirt and possible 'short' some power in the camera!

Use the 'sensor cleaning' option instead, as no power is given to the sensor.

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.com (external link)
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5 (external link)

franklinn
previously 'CorporationMe'
1,424 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 21, 2007 03:48 |  #53

::John:: wrote in post #4357372 (external link)
oi!

You said you didn't want to hijack this thread...

GAH!

you're absolutely right. i'mma shut my fat mouth now :p

Frank | 5D MK II
| 35 1.4L | Marketplace Feedback

DigitalMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 21, 2007 04:42 as a reply to  @ franklinn's post |  #54

The estimate at this point is $255 and 4 to 6 weeks!

I of course asked them to clean the sensor as well.

Could have been worse.

I will followup once I have a firm fix.

Sony A7RIII, Sony RX10MIV, Assorted Lenses
http://digitalman.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

John_B
Cream of the Crop
7,286 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 21, 2007 06:57 |  #55

DigitalMan,
Wow thats less $$$ then I thought it would be (thanks for letting us know :) ), but such a long time :( I thought Canon did most repairs in 10 days? ??? Whatever it is, it will probably feel longer then it is (it would for me).
Good Luck and hopefully quick return ;)

Sony A6400, A6500, Apeman A80, & a bunch of Lenses.............  (external link)
click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

Overkill
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 21, 2007 07:03 |  #56

Better read the manual first!;)

Canon EOS 40D Gripped / 20D Gripped, EF 70-200 2.8L, [COLOR=black]EF 100-400 IS USM L, EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM, EF-S 10-22 USM, Sigma 105mm 2.8 EX Macro, Kenko 2XTC DG Kenko 1.4TC DG, Kenko Extension Tubes DG 12-20, Canon Speedlite 580EX, Manfrotto Tripod!

overclock
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 21, 2007 07:24 |  #57

steveathome wrote in post #4357376 (external link)
Personally I would rather do it with a fully charged battery, who's to say there wont be a dip in the mains or even total power failure?

Okay, how about this:

Plug the AC adapter into a UPS. Hopefully if there is a dip the UPS will correct for it and the camera will be spared.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 21, 2007 07:26 |  #58

Send it in ASAP, and maybe they can really get it back to you in 2 weeks. I think I'd go nuts if I didn't have my cam for that long. :(

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

steveathome
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 21, 2007 07:28 |  #59

overclock wrote in post #4357943 (external link)
Okay, how about this:
Plug the AC adapter into a UPS. Hopefully if there is a dip the UPS will correct for it and the camera will be spared.

I would be wary of what I plug into a UPS to be honest.

Does the adaptor charge the camera battery by any chance? If so then I'm talking like a dork anyway.

EpHeSuS
280 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 21, 2007 07:28 |  #60

zacker wrote in post #4350960 (external link)
if the battery died while cleaning, putting it into clening mode wont help. it will still close, at least on my 30d it will...

Ah, but it would have helped in this situation. Camera in bulb mode is taking a photo => consuming far more power than if it was just sitting there doing nothing.

EOS 20D | 1d Mk II | 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Canon 24-105 f/4L IS | Canon 135 f/2L | Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX HSM | Sigma 1.4x EX TC | Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 DC OS | 580EX II
My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

11,036 views & 0 likes for this thread
Broke My 40D's Shutter :(
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.