Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Nov 2007 (Thursday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 24-70 2.8

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 22, 2007 17:47 |  #1

Are there any huge problems with this lens that would dissuade you from getting it? I want to replace my 28-105 3.5-4.5 II with a fixed aperture, fast zoom, and I browsed through the archive for the Sigma 24-70 2.8 and I must say, I LIKE what I see.

On top of that, it's SO CHEAP in Hong Kong, where I'll be this Christmas. It retails for like, $370 new. Way cheaper than the L equivalent, and even cheaper than the Tamron 28-75 2.8, which I don't want because I'd rather have the 4mm on the wide end, and I also love SIgma's build quality.

How bad are the flare issues etc...? Or should I go for it? I realise it's not USM but it just seems like such a great deal. This just looks like one hell of a lens for a hell of a price!

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

sponsored links
GORDO
336 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 22, 2007 18:02 |  #2

Go for it man.I have mine on my 20d and use on my eos3.Focus is noisier than USM lenses but im so use to it that if i didnt here it focus i would think its broken.

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 22, 2007 20:36 |  #3

How fast and accurate is the AF?

I'm gonna get my hands on this lens this christmas, test it out, and if I like what I see and the price is really as cheap in HK as I'm told, I think the 28-105 is getting replaced!

Anybody got any alternatives to suggest? The only one I'm looking at is the Tamron 17-50, but I like a bit more reach in my walkaround lenses and want to upgrade to a 5D at some point. I'll also be picking up a 70-300 IS first this Christmas, so I'd like the 50-70mm gap filled.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

vic_6
63 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 22, 2007 20:48 as a reply to  @ Perry Ge's post |  #4

in good light, the AF is real fast and accurate. in low light, it has some trouble. but i've tried two different L versions and i wouldn't say focusing is far apart. i think sigma can get annoying with misfocuses since it's motor is relatively noisy and it'll just keep buzzing while trying to focus. i've had mine a few months and i love it! sometimes though i wish it were wider but hey, that's another excuse to get a wider lens :) hehe :)

some people seem to really love the tamron version but i've never tried it so i cant comment on that. although you did say you want the extra 4mm reach. still, i think you should try it to see for yourself.

other alternatives? i think the tamron is pretty much it. or least that's the only one i considered when choosing.

with regard to the 24-70 vs 17-50. the wide side difference is HUGE.

in terms of flare, i only really get flare if i have the UV filter on. when i take it out, it goes away.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/11432819@N08/ (external link)
400D, Sigma 24-70mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8MkII, 420ex

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 22, 2007 20:55 |  #5

Good to hear that the AF is fast and accurate - is it really that noisy? Is it noisy enough to be a problem in certain situations (e.g. wedding, piano recital?).

I don't feel a need for the Tamron, as I have the Sigma 10-20, so I have the wide end covered. I found the focal length of the 18-55 kit lens (before I sold it) to not have enough reach for my style of shooting; that, and the desire to upgrade to full frame, dissuade me from the Tamron.

Baddrummerboyy
501 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 22, 2007 21:02 as a reply to  @ Perry Ge's post |  #6

Its a great lens. Loved it when i had it. Very sharp for a 300ish dollar lens.

http://photozone.de …s/sigma_2470_28​/index.htm (external link)

Current: Canon 40D w/BG-E2N, Canon 30D, Canon 10-22mm, Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS w/EW-83J, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Canon 580EX II, Crumpler 6 Million Bag, and B+W MRC on all my glass.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 22, 2007 21:58 |  #7

I got mine used for $300 here on potn. it's a great lens for the price. I use it for low lighting and some pj work that I do for my school paper. it is a bit noisy and I tend to just stick it on manual focus for those times when I shouldn't be noisy. so with a wedding and piano recital it might be a bit loud but if you can manual focus then go for it. I tend to stay away from that as much as possible cause I'm fairly blind :-P

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 22, 2007 22:00 |  #8

I've loved mine on my 20D and my old 350D. Great lens for sure.

Steve Lexa
Iowa City Wedding Photography (external link)

vic_6
63 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 22, 2007 22:01 as a reply to  @ disneydork06's post |  #9

i actually dont think it's THAT noisy. it probably just seems noisy to the photographer since it's pretty much on your face. people around you might hear it but i've never been given nasty looks while using it even for candid stuff. although i've never shot a wedding in my entire life. hehe
but i've shot lots of candids with friends and they didnt seem to notice. i've also shot some semi quiet ceremonies like confirmations and never had problems with the noice.

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 22, 2007 22:10 |  #10

Sweet. I like that it's lighter than the brick.

How does that AF/MF clutch work? There are two autofocus switches right? So is the idea to switch the clutch when you want to do the equivalent of FTM focusing? Is grabbing the focus ring a bad idea during autofocusing? I've heard mixed reports about that with this lens, some saying it doesn't rotate and so isn't affected by being grabbed, and others saying that grabbing it messes up the motors.

Also...is that a DOF scale I see on it?! :eek:

spitstickler
69 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 22, 2007 22:15 |  #11

I would agree. It's noisier than the kit lens and certainly more noticable with the canon USM, but it doesn't really bother me. It's only by comparison that the term "noisy" comes into play. I've never had anyone comment on it or even give me a strange look, and I have shot a few pics during ceremony at weddings when it was pretty darn quiet. The only people that really comment on the noise factor are people in forums like these.

It's a great lens for the money. Plenty sharp. The only thing on the negative side I would mention is that the front element is so big that the filters (CP for example) are really expensive if you have that type of thing in mind to go along with it. And, if you try to use the pop up flash w/ this lens it will cast a shadow on the wide end. I typically try to go off camera w/ the flash anyway or stick a flash up top and it's not a big deal to me.. but might be for the pop-up flash user.

- Kirk
Ars longa, vita brevis
---------------
Gear List

pieq314
Goldmember
1,101 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 22, 2007 22:17 |  #12

perryge wrote in post #4367055 (external link)
Are there any huge problems with this lens that would dissuade you from getting it? I want to replace my 28-105 3.5-4.5 II with a fixed aperture, fast zoom, and I browsed through the archive for the Sigma 24-70 2.8 and I must say, I LIKE what I see.

On top of that, it's SO CHEAP in Hong Kong, where I'll be this Christmas. It retails for like, $370 new. Way cheaper than the L equivalent, and even cheaper than the Tamron 28-75 2.8, which I don't want because I'd rather have the 4mm on the wide end, and I also love SIgma's build quality.

How bad are the flare issues etc...? Or should I go for it? I realise it's not USM but it just seems like such a great deal. This just looks like one hell of a lens for a hell of a price!

This is a very good lens at a very low price compared with the Canon version. The only thing is, on APS-C sensor, it is not very wide. This is probably not an issue for you since you already have an ultra-wide lens.

Please note that Sigma4less.com also sells this lens for $370, plus shipping. You may want to consider that option you will get the US warrantee this way (assuming you are in US).

Canon 1D Mk III/5D2, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX, Canon 85/1.8, Canon 100/2.8 IS macro, Canon 135/2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Canon 500 f/4 IS

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 22, 2007 22:52 |  #13

spitstickler wrote in post #4368181 (external link)
It's a great lens for the money. Plenty sharp. The only thing on the negative side I would mention is that the front element is so big that the filters (CP for example) are really expensive if you have that type of thing in mind to go along with it. And, if you try to use the pop up flash w/ this lens it will cast a shadow on the wide end. I typically try to go off camera w/ the flash anyway or stick a flash up top and it's not a big deal to me.. but might be for the pop-up flash user.

The filter thing is annoying, but isn't a deal-breaker. I also like to take my lighting off-camera, I never use the pop-up flash, so that isn't a problem. The shadows from the pop-up flash with the Sigma 10-20 are hilarious!

pieq314 wrote in post #4368193 (external link)
Please note that Sigma4less.com also sells this lens for $370, plus shipping. You may want to consider that option you will get the US warrantee this way (assuming you are in US).

Thanks for that info, but I'm in Canada and I live in Hong Kong, so I can live without a US warranty, hehe.

Raphael ­ V
433 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 22, 2007 22:58 |  #14

Great lens. Only thing is the lens has difficulty in focussing against strong back light, same with the sigma 17-70, where even the kit lens performs better.

6Dx2, 80D, 450D, 24-70 f2.8LII, 70-200 f2.8LII, 17-40 f4L, EF24-105 f4L, 50 f1.8, EF-S10-22, EF-S18-135 Nano USM, EF-S18-55 IS, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-300 DG 4-5.6, Vivitar f3.5 8mm Fisheye, 580 EXII, 430 EX, Nissin Pro 866II, Canon XA20, .
"Men have become the tools of their tools" - Henry David Thoreau.s.
nhttp://www.facebook.co​m …-Digitals/3460910854744​93 (external link)

vic_6
63 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 22, 2007 23:27 as a reply to  @ Raphael V's post |  #15

oh yeah. that's a problems re: filters and pop up flash. but i wouldnt call it a deal breaker. with the pop up flash, you'd probably have to be around 30mm so that the lens wouldnt cast a shadow.

about the manual focusing. there's no FTM on this lens. there's the usual AF/MF switch. you do that first. then slide the focus ring down (toward you) then focus :) i think it sounds more complicated than it seems. i remember thinking that it sounded like a hassle before i got the lens. but really once you've used it, it's not a hassle. maybe if you're used to FTM it'll be awkward at first but it's really no biggie :)

and yes that's a DOF scale :)

sponsored links

2,004 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 24-70 2.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.