Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Nov 2007 (Thursday) 04:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is Canon software necessary if I have CS3?

muzzlightbeer
53 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 22, 2007 04:31 |  #1

I have 'acquired' a copy (yes... legally!) of Photoshop CS3 through work (TAFE) and, although I've used Photoshop 7 extensively, CS3 has a lot of bells and whistles that I'm not familiar with.

I've also recently become the proud owner of a 40D and I'm wondering if it's worth loading all the software on my 'poota. It seems that there is an overlap with the CS3 stuff.

What is 'Bridge'? What is 'Device Central'?

How do these compare to the horde of Canon software that comes with the 40D?

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm...
...weird screen name for someone who doesn't even LIKE beer... :rolleyes:

sponsored links
ajayclicks
879 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 22, 2007 04:41 |  #2

CS3 should be sufficent to meet ur needs for PP (raw or otherwise). Bridge is more of an image management tool, pretty much like a DAM software- you can assign key words and stuff...

Cheers

http://ajayclicks.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ajaygargphotography (external link)http://flickr.com/phot​os/ajayclicks (external link)

muzzlightbeer
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 22, 2007 05:19 as a reply to  @ ajayclicks's post |  #3

So 'Bridge' and Canon's 'Image Browser' are like 'iPhoto' - just a photo archiving application?

Does anyone prefer one or the other? I'm a bit of a software **** and don't like having stuff on my 'poota that I don't use.

I'd take a guess that 'Digital Photo Professional' is a poor man's PhotoShop? So, what's 'Picture Style Editor' then?

Sorry about the endless questions. I'm just getting to grips with the Camera manual, and I can't bear the thought of going through the software manuals now.

Hmmm...

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 22, 2007 06:09 |  #4

DPP is a Raw converter. Similar to Adobe Camera Raw.
IMO it gives better colors, but it won't do a decent highlight recovery.

Photoshop is a pixel editor.

Bridge is a file browser, with some added functionality (IPTC editing, combines with PS actions etc)

Picture style editor is Canon software used to alter the Picture Styles. Picture Styles are only used by Canon software.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

goforphoto
Goldmember
2,067 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 22, 2007 06:42 |  #5

I use both depending on the project. If I shoot an event with tons of images I use DPP then if I run across one that I want to do more to I switch to CS3. Portraits I use cs3. With me it is all about work flow and how much time I want to spend on a project.

Just another shutterbug.
I am not a photographer, I'm an image capture technician.
Canon 40D - 70-200L f4, 28-135 IS, Nifty Fifty, 70-300 macro, 18-55 420EX Sunpak 266d

LightUser
286 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 22, 2007 09:01 as a reply to  @ goforphoto's post |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I trashed my Canon software when I got CS3..I use bridge to load all my images and open them in CS3 from bridge..then in the raw editor I make all my adjustments on each image loaded one image at a time and when I am done I process them all in about 2 or 3 clicks..I can do a wedding of 350 images in about 2 hours (my laptop only loads 37 images at a time in bridge)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 23, 2007 08:43 as a reply to  @ LightUser's post |  #7

I had not used DPP until recently and I've found you will get better sharpening and initial noise reduction than you might get from PS and other tools. I'm just experimenting with curves adjustments in DPP, but from what I've seen it is quite useful.

Using DPP is shortening my PS workflow considerably. I can create a recipe in DPP and apply it to many shots and most of my work in PS is then limited to levels, cropping, and/or special effects work. I'm sorry I didn't start using it sooner, but from what I've heard DPPs latest version is really when it's become the most useful.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

spitstickler
69 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 23, 2007 14:17 |  #8

Remote Capture w/ the EOS utilities is something that photoshop can't do for you.

- Kirk
Ars longa, vita brevis
---------------
Gear List

muzzlightbeer
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2007 17:07 |  #9

Thanks for all your input.

I think I'll just stick with jpegs for now. I can't be bothered (at this time) to learn new software from scratch. It's taken me much longer than anticipated to learn how to use the camera. (It was much simpler back in the 'film' days.) I may investigate 'Bridge' further though.

Any Mac users that can give me a comparison between 'iPhoto' and 'Bridge''?

Hmmm...

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2007 17:32 |  #10

I've never used iPhoto before, but I know people who use it and from what I know it's pretty simple and easy to use. Bridge is handy if you are planning on using any other Adobe programs, but I also know photographers who use it only for PS. Adobe lightroom has been, in my experience, the most intuitive file-handling program, but I don't know if you really want to lay down any more cash, since Bridge might be fine for you. Like everything, it's a matter of personal taste. Just so you know, a very succesful photographer friend of mine shoots jpeg and uses Bridge for file-handling and minor adjustments.

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 23, 2007 19:50 as a reply to  @ shooter mcgavin's post |  #11

Well you are short changing yourself sticking with JPG only. It's worth the effort in the long run.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

ChopstickHero
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 23, 2007 19:54 |  #12

i don't like the canon software. i don't really like it. CS2 (what i use) is fine. Adobe Bridge works great for managing images. iPhoto works quite well too for viewing and organizing.

Canon 40D and 350D :: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS :: Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS :: Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 :: Canon BG-E2 & BG-E3 :: Canon 430EX Speedlite :: Crumpler 6MDH & The Whickey and Cox

ipacmm
519 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 23, 2007 20:11 |  #13

I never looked at the canon software, I just stick with Aperture and CS3 and it does everything I want...

Michael
Gear: 1Ds Mark III & L lenses.
My Photography (external link)

muzzlightbeer
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 24, 2007 05:37 |  #14

bwolford wrote in post #4373032 (external link)
Well you are short changing yourself sticking with JPG only. It's worth the effort in the long run.

I WILL get in to RAW... (eventually - when the time is right) I know I will, it's in my nature. But for the moment, there are too many other things vying for my attention. I'm currently aiming to get it right in the camera first off. (I said trying!)

I really do need to get a handle on sorting out 8 years of various digital photos before the new 40D ones start piling up though. I have iPhoto, but I don't really like it and don't use it. (In fact, I hate it.) I DID use it once upon a time, but when I had to upgrade computers and needed to backup my photos, iPhoto didn't use the folder names that I'd specified and used its own. So now, I just store the photos in folders with the month they were taken as the title and view them with 'Preview'.

Hmmm...

FZ1dave
569 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 24, 2007 07:29 |  #15

bwolford wrote in post #4369969 (external link)
I had not used DPP until recently and I've found you will get better sharpening and initial noise reduction than you might get from PS and other tools.

Can you tell me where the noise reduction feature in DPP is? I haven't noticed it anywhere.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,800 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is Canon software necessary if I have CS3?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.