Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 22 Nov 2007 (Thursday) 23:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A beginner Raw shooter and Mac user

Stefan ­ A
"The D is supposed to be where the S is!"
2,638 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 22, 2007 23:43 |  #1

Now that I have an up to date computer (for the time being :)) I have began shooting Raw exclusively. The little bit of time I have spent with Aperture free trial and Raw vs. Jpg makes it obvious that since I have the space and speed, Raw is the best way to go. But I am struggling with what programs to use. I have also installed a free trial of CS3 but learning 2 programs at once is just too much for me. Not mention learning Mac.

I am a fairly slow reader and learner, so going through tutorials and reading manuals for various programs (with only 30 days) is just too rushed. What I really want to know is if I should just use a free or cheap Raw program or use whatever PS (or PSE) comes with? Or is it that much more advantageous to have aperture as well.

Also, I know that lightroom is another choice instead or Aperture. Now that I have spent several hours reading about and working with Aperture, I am leaning towards it (assuming that I need it at all.)

Thanks
Stefan

80D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm F/4L,Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon 580 exII Speedlite, ebay wireless trigger, Genesis 3 light kit
santwarg.zenfolio.com (external link)

sponsored links
Stefan ­ A
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,638 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 23, 2007 23:11 |  #2

Certainly there must be somebody with an opinion on this. :)

Stefan

80D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm F/4L,Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon 580 exII Speedlite, ebay wireless trigger, Genesis 3 light kit

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 23, 2007 23:13 |  #3

Have you considered the free trial of Lightroom or indeed the much-underestimated DPP that came with your camera?

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 23, 2007 23:17 |  #4

I'm not sure what you're really asking. Photoshop (no matter the version) is very complex software, so you'll never really get it down 100%...there's just too much to it. Even professionals who are paid to know PS are constantly learning new tricks and such. If you're asking whether you should have CS3 completely mastered before buying a RAW Converter, I say no. Because it'll never happen. If you're asking what RAW software to use as a final solution - well that's up to you and what you're comfortable with. That's why there are free trials for most of the purchased programs...and well the free ones are free.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 23, 2007 23:59 |  #5

Dump aperture, get lightroom. Sit on that for a while then get PS CS3. You can do an immense amount of stuff in lightroom.

Stuff

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 24, 2007 00:20 as a reply to  @ mikeassk's post |  #6

The work flow of programs like Aperture and Lightroom make them so much easier to use than DPP or RAW converters.

Try both and decide which one you like better.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

Stefan ­ A
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,638 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 24, 2007 22:11 |  #7

Thanks.

cdifoto - I was just asking if the raw converters in PS or PSE are good enough or if I should use a separate program like lightroom or aperture. rkkwan gets what I am asking - thanks for that opinion. mike - what is it about lightroom that I should dump aperture? anke - yes, I have considered that.

Stefan

CRE@TE
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 25, 2007 09:51 |  #8

I prefer the FREE DPP over Elements for Raw conversion. I had used Elements 5 for about a year before I tried DPP. Having tried both, I prefer DPP.

Best thing about DPP is it's not limited trial, so you can take your time and see if you really like it.

I got stuff for taking pictures. :o When things are unclear - It's time to refocus. :rolleyes:
My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/7605380@N08/ (external link)

LightUser
286 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 25, 2007 10:35 as a reply to  @ CRE@TE's post |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

When you can get CS3. Not only is the raw good enough you can use the raw editor to work on jpegs also. Found out yesterday that CS2 will not open Canon 40D raw files but only CS3 so make sure whatever you get will open your version of raw.

frankgindc
104 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 26, 2007 00:30 |  #10

I use Lightroom (mainly for processing lots of RAWs and for cataloging them afterwards). It is very much like Aperture capabilities wise. Commit to one or the other and you'll probably be happy using it as your main editor and cataloguer. Also, I'd recommend getting either an old copy of Photoshop CS or the latest version of Elements -- since you'll want to be able to do some layers work from time to time and Lightroom is still a little light on noise reduction and sharpening to be used solo.

339 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 26, 2007 13:45 |  #11

It's a matter of preference and available funds I guess.

Canon DPP is much under-rated and it's free.

If you like Lightroom then you'll love CS3. It has all the best features of lightroom and a whole bunch more flexibility (but is complex and expensive and will take time to master). Combined with Bridge, there is a nice workflow system.

There are many solutions and you can easily get bogged down deciding what is best. There will always be features that you like in one system that work differently in another and it's a matter of find one that suits you.

After much trial and deliberation, I've settled on exclusive use of CS3 to process my RAW files, workflow and production of final output. CS3 in my opinion is a massive improvement over CS2, the biggest improvement being the use of my favourite features from lightroom.

Canon EOS 1D MkIII, EOS 1D MkII N, EOS 30D
A bunch of Canon Lenses & Accessories
Fully equipped commercial studio
http://www.rodwhitepho​tography.co.uk (external link)

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2007 15:52 |  #12

Stefan A wrote in post #4378993 (external link)
Thanks.

cdifoto - I was just asking if the raw converters in PS or PSE are good enough or if I should use a separate program like lightroom or aperture. rkkwan gets what I am asking - thanks for that opinion. mike - what is it about lightroom that I should dump aperture? anke - yes, I have considered that.

Stefan

Its mainly preference, but i have used both and just really dont like aperture.

Stuff

sponsored links

1,680 views & 0 likes for this thread
A beginner Raw shooter and Mac user
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.