Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Mar 2005 (Friday) 11:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash Exposure

nitsch
Goldmember
2,393 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 04, 2005 11:59 |  #1

Hi there,

I have a query about flash exposure.

I pretty much only use the M mode on my 300D and feel I have got to grips with what works and what doesn't and I'm loving every minute of it trying different things and learning all the time.

One aspect I haven't really looked at is flash photography, so the other night I tried a variety of shots using the onboard flash. The thing that became immediately apparent looking at the histogram (and I have read it on here that others have experienced the same thing) is that shots taken using onboard flash are underexposed. Ok, I hear you say, I can shoot in RAW and then adjust the exposure - but I don't really want to do this, I would rather be able to get the picture out of the camera pretty much spot on and then just do some mild tweaking.

What are my options? (This is where my Flash ignorance will become apparent to everyone! LOL)

- Has this got anything to do with using the FE lock function? I can't seem to get my head around what exactly this does. I think I might be barking up the wrong tree here?

- If I download the Rebel Hack can I use FEC with the onboard flash to correct this problem?

- Should I just give up on the onboard flash and buy either a 420EX (in conjuction with the hack to get FEC) or a 550EX (the size of the thing concerns me - its MASSIVE!!)

I'm eager to learn so all opinions / advice / laughing at my ignorance is more than welcome! :D

Thanks in advance,

Nick

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 04, 2005 12:40 |  #2

FE lock does just what exposure lock (pressing the shutter release half-way to lock in an exposure) does. You get a meter reading off your main subject and then re-compose as needed.
The 420EX won't offer on-board FEC any more than the pop-up flash does without the hack. The 550 and 580 do have their own on-board FEC settings. So the 420 won't give you anything (aside from more power) that the pop-up flash doesn't. But, if I understand it correctly (and I'm not a DR user), the FEC in the hack will work with either the pop-up or an EX-series flash.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

nitsch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,393 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 04, 2005 12:53 |  #3

Thanks for the reply Jon. Much appreciated. If FEC via the hack will work with the onboard flash that may well be the next step to give me more control, then when I find the limitations of the onboard flash I can decide if I need to move onto something more powerful.

Cheers,

Nick

scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 04, 2005 12:56 as a reply to  @ nitsch's post |  #4

There is alot on this in the EOS Flash Sticky.
Scott

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography (external link)

nitsch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,393 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 04, 2005 13:00 |  #5

Cheers Scott. I did a search and found quite a few interesting threads but nothing which specifically discussed FEC with the onboard flash. Maybe I did the wrong search keywords. Where can I find this sticky?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 04, 2005 13:02 |  #6

Canon EOS Digital Cameras forum, second thread, the one labelled " Sticky: -=EOS Flash=- Sticky (Updated 2/23/05)" Scott wrote it.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

nitsch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,393 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 04, 2005 13:03 |  #7

Ok ignore the stupid noobie! I found the sticky. Thanks!

Groundworxs
122 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Mar 04, 2005 20:41 as a reply to  @ nitsch's post |  #8

http://photonotes.org/​articles/eos-flash/ (external link)
I hope this helps.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 04, 2005 21:23 as a reply to  @ Groundworxs's post |  #9

The man doesn't afraid of getting his Photography PhD overnight :D

Kudos!

I have the hacked rebel with FEC. With internal flash, there is SOME difference due to FEC, but not much. Sometimes the flash is simply not powerful enough to pump out enough light.

So I use the fully manual vivitar 285 on it. Gives a nice tan to your subject after a few shots ;)

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

S230
809 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 04, 2005 22:28 |  #10

Get the Hack!... but be careful on the version because apparently there are different revision and some has more or less functions. Every since I've hacked my camera, I am very happy and even stayed with Canon. The FEC is what I specifically use ONBOARD and external. They both work.
With the hack, the FEC to control the onboard flash makes a difference. Also you get to play around with additional flash tricks when using an external flash such as Strobic flash., etc.

mapollo
252 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 05, 2005 03:25 as a reply to  @ S230's post |  #11

Get the Hack...... I agree.....

I have the 300d and have used the onboard flash and I have also had the chance to borrow a 550ex speedlite. I have taken pictures in my home using both under the same conditions. There is a MAJOR difference between the two. The 550ex is by far the better performer but I found it's size a little off putting (too big). Also I found adjusting the FEC on the 550 tricky with my big clumsy fingers so I dialled in the FEC directly on the camera (hacked of course). That was much easier.

I have checked the Specs for the 550 and 420. I have decided to go with the 420ex because it's power will be enough for the circumstances that I will use it in (mainly the home). I have the hack so FEC isn't a problem. It's a bit smaller. If I ever need to sync two flashes together ie Master/Slave I can go ahead then and pick up a 550/580.

The main advantage I found of using a Flashgun is to "bounce" the flash from the ceiling. No more ugly distracting shadows.

Hope that helps David......

Canon 20d, BG-e2 , 17-40 F4L , 70-200 F4L , 50mm F1.8 Mk ii, 430ex, Kata R-103, Manfrotto 055XProB & 804RC2

gary_hendricks
62 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 05, 2005 09:08 as a reply to  @ scottbergerphoto's post |  #12

scottbergerphoto wrote:
There is alot on this in the EOS Flash Sticky.
Scott

Very nice tips there, thanks.

Gary Hendricks
Basic-Digital-Photography.com (external link)

nitsch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,393 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 06, 2005 09:37 |  #13

Thanks everyone for the links and your comments. I feel a lot more informed now! So many people say the hack is safe I think I'll have to go for it.

Thanks Mapollo for your observations on the 550EX vs the 420EX, that is exactly the conclusion I had come to as well.

PS. As a noobie, I have to say I love this forum! I've been on so many other forums in the past where you get instantly shot down in flames if you make the fatal error of asking a question which has been previously covered, so thanks for being patient with me! :)

Cheers,

Nick

johneric8
Goldmember
1,153 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 06, 2005 11:18 as a reply to  @ nitsch's post |  #14

Yes, get the hack.... I'm sure Canon released it anyway! LOL......If fact, I have a friend who works for caon and just got back from the PMA and said that she got wind that it might a an in house job!! LOL

Too much Gear to list! :lol:

sponsored links

2,134 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash Exposure
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.