Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Nov 2007 (Saturday) 10:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Images Become Too Dark After Downloading - Need Fix!

vrjoyner
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 24, 2007 10:56 |  #1

I am using a Canon A710IS camera. The images viewed in the camera's LCD appear correctly exposed and could print perfect. However, when I download the images from the camera to my Mac computer through Canon's Camerawindow software, every image becomes too dark, pure white backgrounds get extreme color shifts. Then I have to spend too much time in Photoshop correcting the images.

Does anyone have any solutions to preventing or correcting this problem. Much appreciate your answers.

Thanks
Viola :confused:

sponsored links
rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 24, 2007 11:03 |  #2

I don't think it's your camera or your computer itself. But your screen. You need to calibrate your screen if you want to do serious photo work. Otherwise, what you fix on your screen may look wrong on most other people's monitor or when printed.

You need something like a iOne or Spyder or whatever the latest product is.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 24, 2007 11:16 |  #3

Actually you should not be using your camera's LCD display to judge exposure; you most certainly should use the built-in histogram.

I suspect your LCD display is turned up high so the exposure looks reasonably correct but that's not what the camera is actually seeing.

Gear List

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,955 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 24, 2007 19:09 |  #4

Viola, can you upload an example? Or post it and give us the link? Then we can view it on our screens and tell you what we see...

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 24, 2007 19:46 |  #5

FedkaTheConvict wrote in post #4375860 (external link)
Actually you should not be using your camera's LCD display to judge exposure; you most certainly should use the built-in histogram.

I suspect your LCD display is turned up high so the exposure looks reasonably correct but that's not what the camera is actually seeing.

This would be my thoughts too, the LCD doesn't necessarily show the exposure accurately and shouldn't be used to judge how the actual image will look. You do need to use the histogram.

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 24, 2007 21:14 |  #6

This is especially true if you shoot in RAW, is this camera capable of RAW?

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

vrjoyner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 24, 2007 22:53 |  #7

Thanks everyone for your assistance. New to me is that the LCD does not show the accurate exposure. Nice to know that moving forward. The A710IS does not shoot in RAW unfortunately.

I have attached a sample image for your review and critiques.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Thanks,
Viola

P.S.
On the LCD monitor, the polar bears are white with detail/texture in the fur and the background is close to white without being blown out.

dekalbSTEEL
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 24, 2007 23:10 |  #8

Not on my monitor:(

Sounds like you've got calibration issues. Could you upload a full size image with the exif intact (Do not use "save for web" if using Adobe Photoshop, use "SAVE AS") try imageshack.us to upload a full size shot, then use the "insert image" icon to link to it

Grippy 30D, Tokina 300f4, Sigma 18-50f2.8, Canon 70-200f4L, thrifty50mkI, PM7500DX
Jon Gee Photography.com (external link)

vrjoyner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 25, 2007 00:04 |  #9

OK, per dekalbSTEEL instructions, here is a full-size image with the exif intact.

[IMG]http://[IMG]http://img266.imagesha​ck.us …neruntouchedbig​xz4.th.jpg (external link) (external link)

Thanks,

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 25, 2007 06:50 |  #10

The picture is about one stop underexposed and has a yellow cast (white balance is off).
This is the histogram. See how the peak is 3/4 of the way over rather than being all the way near the right side?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Elie / אלי

number ­ six
8,955 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 25, 2007 12:59 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #11

I see it the same as Tzalman does.

I bumped up the brightness and contrast and adjusted the white balance on the face of the left bear. The bears appear to be illuminated by mixed light (daylight and incandescent?) so white balance is tough to get right.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Does this look better on your monitor, Viola?

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

vrjoyner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 25, 2007 17:14 |  #12

Number Six, yes the photo does look better on my monitor even with a cyan cast. My present lighting setup is both daylight and incandescent and I did a "white balance" exposure to balance both of these different temperatures in the lights. It appears that didn't work. Unfortunately, I do not presently have professional strobe lights to set up the best lighting environment to get optimum balanced exposures while photographing indoors.

Any suggestions to help get the best exposure with the lights I am now using and with using the A710IS?:confused:

number ­ six
8,955 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 25, 2007 17:35 |  #13

vrjoyner wrote in post #4383391 (external link)
Number Six, yes the photo does look better on my monitor even with a cyan cast. My present lighting setup is both daylight and incandescent and I did a "white balance" exposure to balance both of these different temperatures in the lights. It appears that didn't work.

Ah, my crystal ball did identify your lighting!

Mixed lighting like that is basically impossible to balance because the mixture of daylight and tungsten light is different in different parts of the scene. You can do custom WB at one spot and your balance will be good - at that spot. No help elsewhere in the scene.

vrjoyner wrote in post #4383391 (external link)
Any suggestions to help get the best exposure with the lights I am now using and with using the A710IS?:confused:

Two things need correction: the exposure and the white balance.

Your exposure is dark because your camera normally assumes the scene is average gray, not mostly white as is the case here. Your exposure compensation is set to +2/3 stop - the right idea, but not enough. I'd shoot this scene just as I would a snow landscape: at +2 EC.

White balance just won't work with a varying mixture of light, as I explained earlier. You need to go with one type of light or the other - either draw the shades on the daylight and go with tungsten, or turn the tungsten lights off and use daylight plus flash.

Sounds like your monitor is reasonably close to mine - in my version I see the bodies of the bears as pinkish, the faces white, the waist of the right bear is bluish, as is the background behind them. The shadow between the front legs of the left bear is very blue.

The brightness is set such that there are no blown whites anywhere except towards the bottom of the right bear's foot.

If it looks about like that on your monitor your calibration is reasonable.

-js

"Be seeing you."

vrjoyner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 25, 2007 20:13 |  #14

What a relief that it's not the calibration on my Mac monitor (because I just calibrated it and thought I done it right).

Your description of what you see on your monitor, Number Six, is matching what I see on my monitor. The solution is in the lighting and exposure settings, which I will test and fix for the next photo shoot.

Thank you all again for helping me get on the right track.

Viola:D

number ­ six
8,955 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 25, 2007 23:15 |  #15

vrjoyner wrote in post #4384504 (external link)
What a relief that it's not the calibration on my Mac monitor (because I just calibrated it and thought I done it right).

Your description of what you see on your monitor, Number Six, is matching what I see on my monitor.

Glad to help. An accurate monitor is of the greatest importance. Those of us who still use a CRT monitor have an advantage, IMO...

-js

"Be seeing you."

sponsored links

1,924 views & 0 likes for this thread
Images Become Too Dark After Downloading - Need Fix!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.