Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Nov 2007 (Saturday) 14:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you explain...

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,878 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 24, 2007 16:32 as a reply to  @ post 4377121 |  #16

Ask your friends and family why they arent driving their first car still?

My family used to ask the same questions, but as the pictures get better with each new feature and function, and as I learn more, they've now quit asking me and just expect me to be the photographer at every family event.:confused:

If you pay attention, that was a really long run-on sentence,,,LOL

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/bonish_photo/[/URL (external link)

sponsored links
rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 24, 2007 16:58 as a reply to  @ EveryMilesAMemory's post |  #17

If the wifey asks that question again, your answer should be "you're next". She'll shut up! :evil:

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

turbo212003
852 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 24, 2007 18:03 |  #18

Quick response "It's my money"

Gear List
http://www.grantwphoto​.com (external link)

Sam_M
535 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 24, 2007 18:33 |  #19

I used to work as an automotive technician, so my family and friends were all used to me using expensive tools, and having many, many tools, even if the use of a tool was scarce. Now, though photography is still a hobby, they can understand why different equipment is needed, as well as why I upgrade it even when the old stuff still works. Just tell people you are using the right tool for the job.

Canon 1D MKIV 50D | Nikon D810 D200
and other assorted glass, plastic, and metal.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 24, 2007 19:06 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

The only person you have to answer to is yourself. If you cannot say why you needed to upgrade ( other than being able to keep up with the "internet" Jones family ), then I guess you have a problem.

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Nov 24, 2007 22:40 |  #21

When it comes to your equipment, do you feel you have to justify upgrades to your friends and family? I certainly don't, nor do I try. As others have stated, we all have our areas of passion, and unless we're dependent on others for our gear, there's no need to explain our decision to upgrade or acquire new equipment.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

scotteisenphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 24, 2007 22:46 |  #22

EveryMilesAMemory wrote in post #4377253 (external link)
Ask your friends and family why they arent driving their first car still?

My family used to ask the same questions, but as the pictures get better with each new feature and function, and as I learn more, they've now quit asking me and just expect me to be the photographer at every family event.:confused:

If you pay attention, that was a really long run-on sentence,,,LOL

True statement...but alas, i'm not driving my first car still..and im in highschool...

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #4379243 (external link)
When it comes to your equipment, do you feel you have to justify upgrades to your friends and family? I certainly don't, nor do I try. As others have stated, we all have our areas of passion, and unless we're dependent on others for our gear, there's no need to explain our decision to upgrade or acquire new equipment.

I need to justify becasue i can't afford it myself, when my father is buying it as a present (christmas/birthday, same day almost) and my mother gets angry because she doesn't understand...

2X Canon 1Dx|Canon 1D Mark IV|Canon 5D Mark III|14mm 2.8L II|16-35mm 2.8L II|24mm 1.4L II|35mm 1.4L|50mm 1.2L |85mm 1.2L II|70-200 2.8L IS|200mm 2.0L IS|300mm 2.8L IS|400mm 2.8L IS|800mm 5.6L IS| 580EX II| 600EX RT II|

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Nov 24, 2007 22:50 |  #23

Well, I guess the answer is that you do need to justify your needs/requests if you can't pay for them yourself, but that puts you in a different position from most of the rest of us here. I certainly can't give you any advice, as I had to scrimp by for many of my adult years with just basic equipment until I could afford better gear (mostly through selling my photos or photographic services). Maybe you could put together some short of slideshow or presentation that makes your point that you can share with them.

Mark
-----

John
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 24, 2007 22:58 |  #24

Is the gear listed in your signature the ones you own right now? If so, why do you need three bodies? It would seem to me that for your next birthday, you're going to be asking for either the successor for the 5D or one of the 1D bodies.

What is YOUR justification for continuing to upgrade the bodies when you can't afford it?

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

scotteisenphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 24, 2007 23:00 |  #25

Rebel XTI has broken shutter, got it fixed, now my mother uses it and ill have my hands on it if i need it for some reason..all the lenses..yes their mine...the 30D, its my backup, but it's lent out alot to my father (doctor) when he takes pictures of his patients...my justification...Full frame for 5D, more megapixles and ill be able to print larger...going to college soon as a photo major, so FF would be a very big benefit...those are my justifiations.

2X Canon 1Dx|Canon 1D Mark IV|Canon 5D Mark III|14mm 2.8L II|16-35mm 2.8L II|24mm 1.4L II|35mm 1.4L|50mm 1.2L |85mm 1.2L II|70-200 2.8L IS|200mm 2.0L IS|300mm 2.8L IS|400mm 2.8L IS|800mm 5.6L IS| 580EX II| 600EX RT II|

John
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 24, 2007 23:05 |  #26

scotteisenphotography wrote in post #4379410 (external link)
Rebel XTI has broken shutter, got it fixed, now my mother uses it and ill have my hands on it if i need it for some reason..all the lenses..yes their mine...the 30D, its my backup, but it's lent out alot to my father (doctor) when he takes pictures of his patients...my justification...Full frame for 5D, more megapixles and ill be able to print larger...going to college soon as a photo major, so FF would be a very big benefit...those are my justifiations.

That's a fine justification to me... sort of. Assuming you told your mother this already, what was her response to your justification?

Also, out of curiosity... what do you shoot that requires you to have a backup body? Are you saying backup as in when your 5D is unusable for some reason or are you saying backup as in you carry your 5D and 30D at the same time with different lenses mounted on each?

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 24, 2007 23:09 |  #27

Well, it's a serious hobby to you. If they have engrossing hobbies themselves, I can't envisage the concept would be too hard for them to comprehend.

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

scotteisenphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 24, 2007 23:10 |  #28

aIpha wrote in post #4379444 (external link)
That's a fine justification to me... sort of. Assuming you told your mother this already, what was her response to your justification?

Also, out of curiosity... what do you shoot that requires you to have a backup body? Are you saying backup as in when your 5D is unusable for some reason or are you saying backup as in you carry your 5D and 30D at the same time with different lenses mounted on each?

When i get asked to shoot an event and i dont want to be switching lenses constantly, thats usually when i use it...or if i am going to be shooting sports..5D isnt very fast? so i guess "backup" isn't the right word...

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Nov 24, 2007 23:18 |  #29

It seems to me that you have sound explanations for all your gear, and I'm sure your dad is well able to afford the gear for you. And, if he's the guy buying your gear, then you only have to justify it to him (he will have to justify it to your mom - or at least that's how it works around my house).

Mark

Mark
-----

John
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 24, 2007 23:20 |  #30

scotteisenphotography wrote in post #4379490 (external link)
When i get asked to shoot an event and i dont want to be switching lenses constantly, thats usually when i use it...or if i am going to be shooting sports..5D isnt very fast? so i guess "backup" isn't the right word...

Let's put ourselves in your mother's shoes (not your father's because he seems to understand you better) and think about it like this... someone who asks a parent to buy them a book so they can learn doesn't really hesitate to buy them the book. You ask for a second book regarding the same subject but thicker... why not? Then you ask for a third book that is again same subject yet slightly thicker.

At this point I would start to question whether or not you are taking advantage of the other two books you already have PRIOR to getting you a third and more advanced book.

So my rhetorical question to you is... has your mother seen the product of your photography? Don't try to explain the technical differences between a 30D and a 5D. You need to show her. It just seems like she has no clue what you do with your cameras and has never seen your work.

sponsored links

3,044 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you explain...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.