Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Mar 2005 (Sunday) 23:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Drebel & Sunpak PZ5000AF

kb244
766 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 06, 2005 23:56 |  #1

Couple little problems with automatic modes. Now from what I understand to use the flash automatically with the rebel, you have to have the camera in P mode.

P on Camera & TTL Mode on Flash : Results ended up making the camera behave as if no flash were attached, ( Selecting shutter speeds upto 1 second long with widest aperture ). Flash shows same aperture as selected by camera.

P on Camera & Auto mode on Flash : Camera setting shutter to 1/200 (Flash Sync speed ), but setting the apeture to the maximum value ( f/45 on the lens I Was testing ) always.

Tv (1/200) & TTL : Same as P & TTL above.

Tv (1/200) & Auto : Same as P & Auto Above

Av (f/5.6) & TTL : Same as P & TTL above.

Av (f/5.6) & Auto : Shutter gets set to 1/200 automatically on the camera. Apeture needs to be manually set on the flash to match aperture on the camera, once thats done shoots perfectly fine.

Manual and Mult(strobic) on the flash I use with Manual mode on the camera which works fine.

My question is, is there something I'm doing wrong, is there no way to use the Sunpak PZ5000AF ( For Canon EOS ) , with P/Tv/Auto modes in either Auto or TTL mode on the flash? Am I pretty much stuck with using either Av or M to utilize this flash? Also I read somewhere the TTL mode on the PZ5000 isnt E-TTL thus only works with Canon Film Bodies, is this true?

-Karl Blessing
PHP/MySQL Webdeveloper & Photographer.
My Website (external link)

blackviolet
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 07, 2005 05:46 |  #2

your assessment is true. you can use the automatically flash in P mode or fully manual. it will not 'fill' in AV or TV modes. i use one as a slave unit.

--
oblio
1dmkiii - 5dmkii -Leica M8/M6 - Mamiya 645AFDiii/zd
ModelMayhem (external link) | my (external link)flick (external link)r gallery (external link)

scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 07, 2005 06:14 as a reply to  @ blackviolet's post |  #3

You are trying to use a non ETTL compatible flash on an ETTL camera :cry: . You can only use Manual Flash in that situation. If you want to use other flash modes you need to get a Canon EX series flash or one that is compatible like the Sigma 500 DG Super.
Regards,
Scott

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 07, 2005 06:43 |  #4

kb244 wrote:
Couple little problems with automatic modes. Now from what I understand to use the flash automatically with the rebel, you have to have the camera in P mode.

P on Camera & TTL Mode on Flash : Results ended up making the camera behave as if no flash were attached, ( Selecting shutter speeds upto 1 second long with widest aperture ). Flash shows same aperture as selected by camera.

P on Camera & Auto mode on Flash : Camera setting shutter to 1/200 (Flash Sync speed ), but setting the apeture to the maximum value ( f/45 on the lens I Was testing ) always.

Tv (1/200) & TTL : Same as P & TTL above.

Tv (1/200) & Auto : Same as P & Auto Above

Av (f/5.6) & TTL : Same as P & TTL above.

Av (f/5.6) & Auto : Shutter gets set to 1/200 automatically on the camera. Apeture needs to be manually set on the flash to match aperture on the camera, once thats done shoots perfectly fine.

Manual and Mult(strobic) on the flash I use with Manual mode on the camera which works fine.

My question is, is there something I'm doing wrong, is there no way to use the Sunpak PZ5000AF ( For Canon EOS ) , with P/Tv/Auto modes in either Auto or TTL mode on the flash? Am I pretty much stuck with using either Av or M to utilize this flash? Also I read somewhere the TTL mode on the PZ5000 isnt E-TTL thus only works with Canon Film Bodies, is this true?

Unfortunately, the flash you have is not ETTL but just TTL as others here have pointed out. Your only option is to use the flash in AUTO mode, in which case, you have to set the aperture based on which AUTO mode settings you are using on the flash, or set the flash to MANUAL mode and base your aperture on the guide number of the flash. In either case, the only option on the camera for you is Manual (or Av mode and AUTO on flash if you don't mind the 1/200 shutter speed).

...Leo

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,173 views & 0 likes for this thread
Drebel & Sunpak PZ5000AF
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.