Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Oct 2007 (Monday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 21, 2007 10:00 as a reply to  @ post 4358095 |  #181

Randy, that's why I asked if it was USAG. Our State and Eastern top scores are 38 at L4 and by the time they reach L9, the most competitive scores are 35/36 on a good day. I'm not knocking the beam routine in the video! It was nice and she deserved that score. It just looks like we have different standards between regions and states.

Which doesn't surprise me.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

sponsored links
fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 21, 2007 11:29 |  #182

Yes, this was usag. To put it in perspective, there were 640 girls in this meet, all level 4. Out of those only 40 were in the platinum competition. The norm for AA in the state is between 34-36.5 (for states) so the 40 represented the best of the best and it showed, believe me. As I said before, there are gyms that keep their girls in a level for years just to collect trophies, where our gym is more interested in the overall development of an elite so they try and progress them a level per year. Can you imagine how good any of your girls would be as a third or forth year level 4?

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 21, 2007 15:12 |  #183

fugfuggy wrote in post #4359240 (external link)
Yes, this was usag. To put it in perspective, there were 640 girls in this meet, all level 4. Out of those only 40 were in the platinum competition. The norm for AA in the state is between 34-36.5 (for states) so the 40 represented the best of the best and it showed, believe me. As I said before, there are gyms that keep their girls in a level for years just to collect trophies, where our gym is more interested in the overall development of an elite so they try and progress them a level per year. Can you imagine how good any of your girls would be as a third or forth year level 4?

I hear ya. that's phenomenal. It doesn't do anything for the girls to hold them year after year if they are successful. I look at it as I'm paying college tuition in the form of gym feeds and we're all working toward a free ride in a few more years.

Those are phenomenal scores. We do have groups of girls scoring at those levels, but it's typically the younger girls that stay in a level 1 year, or 2 if they struggle, and then move on quickly so we can get a season or two at elite before college.

Interestingly they don't rate the levels at abilities, in a way that the parents can see it in a name or rank (like platinum), but you can see at meets that all higher scoring gymnasts have been placed in the same session to compete against each other. Generally you come in the AM or late PM to see the best (depends on the meet director) and everyone else is mid day.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

kpsack
22 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 21, 2007 23:40 |  #184

USAG doesn't work that way here in NC either.

Fug, great video of that beam routine. My daughter who loves the beam watched it with admiration. It is not an event for everyone. She should count herself blessed that it is for her. My daughter does.

Brice, our coach encourages that step out too. The bad thing about it is that this past weekend, Aubrey lost 1st on vault by .025 b/c of that step out. Hard to swallow sometimes.

Here are some pics from our past weekend. States are coming and I think that I am getting better. Bar pics were much better this time. I did have amateur issues like cutting off hands and toes on taller girls but, I had a whole lot less come out blurry.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

kpsack
22 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 21, 2007 23:43 |  #185

Here are two more. These are my daughters two best friends. The first put up a 9.5 on level 6 bars. The second was a congrats hug after a beautiful beam routine.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 22, 2007 07:53 as a reply to  @ kpsack's post |  #186

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm thankful for being able to learn from and share with you all!

Brice
Gear List

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 22, 2007 10:16 |  #187

Happy Turkey Day! I am thankful for this group as well.

Kpsack,

Are those strait out of the camera? If so, they could be greatly improved with some PP. Levels, curves, contrast and a bit of sharpening would really help.

kpsack
22 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 22, 2007 22:09 |  #188

I did the auto color adjust only on these. I haven't had a chance to do anything else to them. I always do just a quick color adjust so I can sort them and then I go back to the original to really play with it. I am just much happier with the overall results this time. Even the auto color adjust was minimal this time.

By the way, Happy Turkey Day. I am off to bed so I can hit the sales early in the morning.

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 25, 2007 23:24 as a reply to  @ kpsack's post |  #189

Okay all,

I am venturing into a new realm. I had the idea of creating a collage each year with all the pics that I take. The tough thing is deciding on which pics to include cause there are sooooo many. Here is my first pass. Please give me your honest thoughts and opinions.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

cameranewbie
50 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 27, 2007 08:48 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #190

That is fantastic. I am starting to learn about the art of gymnastics photography. I currently have a 70-200L f/2.8 and an 85 f/1.8. What lens do you use for the awards ceremonies. I am afraid that I don't have a wide enough lens to do them. I have followed the forum strings on gymnastics and you have really helped me out. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 27, 2007 09:32 |  #191

fugfuggy wrote in post #4385727 (external link)
Okay all,

I am venturing into a new realm. I had the idea of creating a collage each year with all the pics that I take. The tough thing is deciding on which pics to include cause there are sooooo many. Here is my first pass. Please give me your honest thoughts and opinions.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Is your goal to feature every athlete?

These are very hard to pull off. I would be consistent on photo borders if possible: all crisp or all feathered, not both. Perhaps try to show the progression of the season OR keep like competitions together with awards at the bottom with some of the casual "around the gym" type shots.

I'm sure it holds lot's of memories for the athletes.

Brice
Gear List

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 27, 2007 14:10 |  #192

some good feedback Brice. I have already sent this out to print but I may try another one that tells a better story rather than this "where is waldo" approach. I tried to feature a few of the pictures more prominently, hence the crisp borders on some and feathered on the others. Obviously that method did not work out this go around. I got some great feedback from other forums however.

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 27, 2007 14:59 |  #193

fugfuggy wrote in post #4395267 (external link)
some good feedback Brice. I have already sent this out to print but I may try another one that tells a better story rather than this "where is waldo" approach. I tried to feature a few of the pictures more prominently, hence the crisp borders on some and feathered on the others. Obviously that method did not work out this go around. I got some great feedback from other forums however.

Took me so long to respond because I didn't know what to say. It's hard to comment on because I have not interest because I have no athlete in that gym... Does that make sense?

One additional thought, I would worry about politics... if you miss a girl, a parent will be ticked. A girl with a smaller photo than another that they feel competitive to will be upset. I also think something like this has to be planned from the beginning of the year. I'm probably over thinking it. And now that you've posted the idea I'll be pre-occupied trying to figure out if I want to duplicate or create one of my own... All I do for our gym is a team / optional poster that's more than just the run of the mill "line up and shoot" image.

Brice
Gear List

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 27, 2007 15:38 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #194

Yeah, I thought about the politics of it all after I sent it off to print. I think I will just give this one to my little monkey and give it another go with all of this in mind.

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 27, 2007 16:08 |  #195

And here is one of the little monkey

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!

sponsored links

114,943 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.