Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Nov 2007 (Tuesday) 12:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MPIX metallic paper question........

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,317 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 27, 2007 12:38 |  #1

i just placed my first order with MPIX. i was curious about the metallic paper option but unfortunately MPIX would not allow me to mix the paper on the order so i opted for the regular stuff.

so what do you think of the metallic paper and is it more suitable for certain types of photography?

thanx,

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sponsored links
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 27, 2007 12:52 |  #2

ed rader wrote in post #4394796 (external link)
so what do you think of the metallic paper and is it more suitable for certain types of photography?

Yes.

The best use I have seen has been high contrast, high saturation color imaging. Especially a shot that has a strong light source in the shot. For example, HERE is a online portfolio* of Slot Canyon (external link), and THIS (external link) and THIS (external link)are shots in particular would be well presented in Metallic Paper.

Rad

*Photos are by Steve Snyder Photography. Because they are not mine, that is why I did not post the shot directly.

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

Win
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 27, 2007 14:00 as a reply to  @ Radtech1's post |  #3

I use the Metallic paper a lot for landscape photos of the Southwest. I was running a test on some photos last week and forgot to "click" Metallic and the pictures just aren't the same.

Win

Gear List
Utah Pictures: www.winpics.fototime.c​om (external link)

Blue ­ Deuce
"I don't say anything witty"
3,752 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 27, 2007 16:14 |  #4

I use it for wildlife and bird prints. Folks marvel over it.

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 27, 2007 16:20 |  #5

Blue Deuce wrote in post #4395887 (external link)
I use it for wildlife and bird prints. Folks marvel over it.

Wow, I never would have guessed! In general, would you how would you describe the contrast (high, low?) and the saturation (deep, muted?) of the photographs that you have had the best results with.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

ghms421
471 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 27, 2007 21:42 |  #6

The contrast is extremely high. The saturation is pretty deep. Basically, all your regular colors become so contrasty and saturated to the point where yellow becomes gold etc. While I can see it being useful in a few situations, I just stick the regular matte.

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 27, 2007 21:58 |  #7

I used it for some BW senior pics. Well, not from MPIX, but it was the same paper. It gave it a really neat sheen and almost 3d look. Tons of the kids at school were amazed by it. (The joys of being a HS teacher-instant feedback on senior photos. Too bad I have to deal with teens learning Spanish as well...)

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

squashed
Goldmember
4,273 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 27, 2007 22:08 |  #8

I use it for landscapes and big color prints. A big difference for sure.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

viperx27
305 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 27, 2007 22:14 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

you have to atleast try it. I don't know if its a fad that will be gone in 2 years or will stay, but its great for right now. I had a sample wedding album made with it (from graphi) and its stunning, both colored and B&W images. My images are high contrast and super saturated already, so it suits my style.

I haven't had a problem with it, but based on the cautions that album companies have written about, it seems to scratch and/or flake easier. many will not honor a warranty with it or re not responsible if something happens to the paper in making the album. just food for thought. If its going behind glass as a print I'm sure it doesn't matter.

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 28, 2007 07:31 |  #10

I've done many prints with it, mostly landscape and architecture. It really makes a difference especially in the large prints. There's one architecture image that I've sold many prints from that I know that it's the metallic that helps sell it. The first time you see it, especially at 20x30, you know it's 'different'. The impact is amazing, mostly because it is a night shot of a well lit building taken from the outside with a reflection pool in front and a strong refection in the pool. The first print I sold of it was an accident. I actually made a print for myself and was at a frame store picking out a mat for it when another customer of that store commented on it and asked where I got it. One thing led to another and she bought it off me right then and there. My next order I ordered several copies of different sizes. By far the 20x30 sells the best, but always on metallic.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 28, 2007 13:59 as a reply to  @ Dermit's post |  #11

After reading good comments on this forum, I decided to give it a shot with a portrait. I will know in a few days if that was a mistake.

But what's strange is that if you go to mpix.com (I ordered mine directly through Zenfolio), it says "Not recommended for portraits" right after it says "flesh tones look natrual", and they have some informal portrait samples right underneath!

http://mpix.com/produc​tsinfo.aspx (external link)

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

DizzyV6P
354 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 28, 2007 15:10 |  #12

I'm about to order some from Adorama Pics so I'll report back on that one as well :) I"ve got a Naples, Italy sunset picture, a fall colors picture and my Paris Arc de Trimphe nite shot to blow up to either 8x10 or bigger. Hopefully the metallic paper gives it a bit more pop.

Canon 40D : Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 : Canon EF 70-200 f/4L : Canon EF 50 f/1.8 : Canon EF 85 f/1.8 : Canon Speedlite 580EX : Adorama Flashpoint Grip : Gary Fong Whaletail : Flashzebra Pixel (CP-E4 Clone)

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 28, 2007 19:54 |  #13

It looks quite stunning on landscape stuff. My wife doesn't like it on the people stuff though but I certainly do on some.

sponsored links

1,809 views & 0 likes for this thread
MPIX metallic paper question........
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.