Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Nov 2007 (Wednesday) 17:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Light Power

pasph
22 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 28, 2007 17:14 |  #1

I've got already 3 x 580EX but i'm wondering about purchase some strobes.
I've selected 3 possible choices that perhaps emblematizes 3 different approaches to the "need for power" (overpower the sun, large group or ambient, nightime formals...you name it).
Here there are:

Quantum Instruments
3 x Qflash TTL X5DR
3 x Battery Module PB2
3 x 200 W/S Add-On Module
3 x QPAQ-X - 200 Watt/Second Power Pack and Command Module
Fast Charger for QPAQ-X
$ 5088

Lumedyne
3 x 400 Watt Second Next Generation Power Pack
3 x 800 W/S Flash Head
3 x Large Battery Module
Quick Trickle Charger
$ 4254

2 X Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS Asymetrical 1100 Watt Second Battery Operated Power Pack Kit, with Freelight A Lamphead, Battery, Charger & Sync Cord
$ 4200

What would be your choice and why?

Maurizio Bassani.

sponsored links
EricKPhoto
43 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 29, 2007 01:47 |  #2

I have shot with some older Lumedyne packs and flash heads, and the NG 400 and love them. But I have never shot with either of the other options, so I don't know what to tell you there. I love my Lumedynes for weddings.

-Eric
Minnesota Wedding Photography and Senior Photos (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 29, 2007 02:06 |  #3

Quite honestly I work with 580's. I use them because they are super portable, double as your on-board flash, and are very easy and quick to set up.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 29, 2007 08:08 |  #4

Are you currently using all three and still need more juice?

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

trantz
120 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Location: Detroit, Windsor, Kitchener or Toronto, sometimes all in the same day

Nov 29, 2007 09:29 |  #5

picturecrazy wrote in post #4405499 (external link)
Quite honestly I work with 580's. I use them because they are super portable, double as your on-board flash, and are very easy and quick to set up.

how do you mount them on light stands? I'm trying to find this piece of hardware --

troy shantz is trantz photography
Portfolio (external link)

5D+BG, 20D+BG, 350D+BG -- 24-70 2.8L, 50 1.8, Sigma 12-24 -- ST-E2, 420EX, 550EX -- a few tricks up my sleeve

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 29, 2007 10:03 |  #6

trantz wrote in post #4406705 (external link)
how do you mount them on light stands? I'm trying to find this piece of hardware --

I put this on the light stand:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …vel_Umbrella_Ad​apter.html (external link)

Then I put this on the above piece:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …01301_PC_to_Hot​_Shoe.html (external link)
(I slightly modify this. I put a miniphone plug on it so it plugs into a pocketwizard)

Then put the flash and umbrella on that.

When going without umbrella, I just put a small el-cheapo ballhead onto the lightstand like this:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …H1004_Mini_Ball​_Head.html (external link)

then put the kaiser piece on the ballhead.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

pasph
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 29, 2007 11:49 |  #7

Atl-Fotos wrote in post #4406385 (external link)
Are you currently using all three and still need more juice?

In Italy a series of nightime formals of the couple is an additional service well paid (here a wedding photo service cost way less than in USA and taxes are very heavy, wedphoto earnings comes substantially from selling expensive albums and additional photo and video services).
The traditional route here (kind of look couple expect) is nikon film (or Bronica) with Metz 60CT hard light.
Me i'm just a digital Canon guy struggling with PJ :confused:

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 29, 2007 17:27 |  #8

I have a set of older lumedynes (2x powerpack, 3 heads) and like them a lot.
Wouldn't hesitate to purchase again.

Only other option I'd consider would be more expensive (yet better in every aspect except portability): Profoto.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

pparker
479 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 30, 2007 06:20 |  #9

I just bought a four light system. There is certain criteria that needs to be addressed prior to choosing a light system.

1. Does the model have consistent color temp?
2. Is the unit fan cooled?
3. Is the modeling light accurate and track accurately with the flash power? Are the modeling light bulbs user replacable and affordable.
4. Are the flash tubes user replacable, do they cost $1500.00 or much more affordibly priced. Affordable price, and the ability to replace them yourself is a must. Some models out there use flashtubes that are prohibitively expensive.
5. Can you get the units serviced easily and affordibly.

There's more criteria, but you get the point. Look at the models you are considering on the B & H photo/video website and then look at the accessories and price the flash tubes,modeling light bulbs, and other accessories. This will give you some idea of what you will be dealing with. Hope this helped.

Pete

Pete Parker from a three stoplight town in Texas

http://pparker.zenfoli​o.com/p610500614/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,584 views & 0 likes for this thread
Light Power
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.