Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Oct 2007 (Monday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 27, 2007 21:18 |  #196

fugfuggy wrote in post #4395852 (external link)
And here is one of the little monkey

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Now that is sweat!!! Nice work.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

sponsored links
jdando
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 27, 2007 21:46 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #197

Hey gang;

after lurking for a bit I figure I would post up my humble attempts.

The gym is lit like a barn, I need better skills and better glass. This was my first day of shooting in RAW. I am fairly clueless about post processing with DPP. EXIF should be intact, C&C welcome.
jeremy

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeremy
Chimping away in MN

mkenney99
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 28, 2007 08:40 |  #198

fugfuggy wrote in post #4395852 (external link)
And here is one of the little monkey

Wow, this is really great! I showed this to one of my daughters, and now I have a new assignment for our upcoming season - she wants me to put something like this together for her! :confused: That will be a challenge. Did you just use Photoshop to put this together?

On the same note, I'm trying to determine if I need Photoshop CS, or if Photoshop Elements would suffice for most PP. Any opinions (from anyone?)

I *finally* got my 85mm f/1.8 lens from Amazon yesterday - took 2 weeks for it to arrive! (That's what I get for using super saver shipping.) But now the fun can begin. I took some photos around the house last night and I am already very impressed by the quality! 2 1/2 weeks until our first meet so I need to practice a lot until then.

Mark

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 28, 2007 10:10 |  #199

mkenney99 wrote in post #4400090 (external link)
On the same note, I'm trying to determine if I need Photoshop CS, or if Photoshop Elements would suffice for most PP. Any opinions (from anyone?)

I think you can do very well with PSE. If you use DPP to make some of the RAW corrections and then load the image into PSE for making the poster, you'll do fine. As a matter of fact some of the basic will be easier in PSE than PS. I started with PSE and upgraded once I felt limited. Took a year or two. PSE really helped me get acclimated to PS. Also, check out this site: Photoshop Elements User (external link)

I recommend you join the forums there and I recommend a subscription to the newsletter because of the access it gives you to a plethora of tutorials and how to videos. Well worth the investment in my book. Too bad they don't pay me a referral fee! :)

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 28, 2007 10:12 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #200

Jdando, I think you are being too hard on yourself. Those are fine photographs. The EXIF data isn't in tact, but nonetheless it doesn't detract from the images. Especially if you are using the equipment in your signature.

This is the place to ask about PP with DPP, PS and PSE. Lot's of folks here ready to help.

Welcome to the thread.

Brice
Gear List

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 28, 2007 19:31 |  #201

bwolford wrote in post #4400476 (external link)
... The EXIF data isn't in tact, but nonetheless it doesn't detract from the images.

I'm using Firefox (Exif Viewer) and I can see it fine. Both shots using @ f/2.8, ISO 1600 at 90mm. Do you borrow a 70-200 f/2.8 then?

Welcome to the dungeon, Jeremy! :D

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

jdando
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2007 08:27 |  #202

Hikin Mike wrote in post #4403391 (external link)
I'm using Firefox (Exif Viewer) and I can see it fine. Both shots using @ f/2.8, ISO 1600 at 90mm. Do you borrow a 70-200 f/2.8 then?

Welcome to the dungeon, Jeremy! :D

Thanks for the welcome Mike. I borrowed a 90mm Tamron F2.8 macro lens for these shots. It is just too dark in the gym for my other lens:(

I have ordered a 50mm F1.4, hopefully it will address some of the lighting issue.

jeremy

Jeremy
Chimping away in MN

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 29, 2007 16:50 |  #203

jdando wrote in post #4406464 (external link)
I have ordered a 50mm F1.4, hopefully it will address some of the lighting issue.

jeremy

If you can get close enough...;)

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 29, 2007 19:36 as a reply to  @ Hikin Mike's post |  #204

You are going to struggle with the 50 f1.4 controlling the DoF. You may get the nose perfectly sharp while the eyes are blurred. Focusing is going to be your toughest challenge.

jdando
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2007 23:02 |  #205

fugfuggy wrote in post #4410082 (external link)
You are going to struggle with the 50 f1.4 controlling the DoF. You may get the nose perfectly sharp while the eyes are blurred. Focusing is going to be your toughest challenge.

I am confused? Assuming I will be 10 feet away, shooting F2.0 wouldn't the depth of field be about 1 foot? At 40 feet away would it be 15 feet.

thanks,
jeremy

Jeremy
Chimping away in MN

jklinksi
54 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 04, 2007 14:37 as a reply to  @ jdando's post |  #206

A Little Christmas Spirit...

So I have been hangin' around here for a while now and I thought I might just send out a friendly thanks to all the posters here that allow newbies like me to quickly get information before events that is VERY useful! It sort of reduces the whole trial and error thing to a less painful process:D! Unfortunately, I am my own worst critic, so it might be a while before I am brave enough to post! (though it is reassuring to know that you guys are pretty easy on the newbies!). However, I was hoping that you might help me expedite that process (me posting pictures to be proud of). Could anyone here refer a book (with lots of pictures or diagrams:D) that would help explain the relationships between the ISO, shutter speed, and aperature (I think I have that right?:oops:) that I can ask for this Christmas? You're help would be much appreciated. I would also be curious as to what's on your wishlist?!? Best wishes this holiday season and good health to you and your athletes in the New Year!

Some stuff... but never enough!

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 04, 2007 15:40 as a reply to  @ jklinksi's post |  #207

Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson... That book cracked the code for me.

My wish list is too long to list, I'm an amateur photographer, after all.

Brice
Gear List

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 04, 2007 17:01 |  #208

bwolford wrote in post #4440027 (external link)
Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson... That book cracked the code for me.

Agreed. Get it and read it twice.....

As an old fart that taught classes...you need to start at square one. The learning curve is short and you can accelerate quickly, but knowing what you are doing with the light you have available is critical. In fact I would argue it is more important than knowing the finer points of the camera you use....

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 04, 2007 17:05 |  #209

jdando wrote in post #4406464 (external link)
Thanks for the welcome Mike. I borrowed a 90mm Tamron F2.8 macro lens for these shots. It is just too dark in the gym for my other lens:(

jeremy

I try and shoot my primes at F1.8 or higher because the DOF gets so darn shallow. But it does depend on distance....

An XT with a 50mm lens @ f1.4 and 12 feet from the subject provides a DOF of 11".

You can calculate your own here: DOF Table (external link)

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 05, 2007 12:59 as a reply to  @ GBRandy's post |  #210

Hi All,

What a proud day. I have to say that this article got me a little misty eyed. This is a local newspaper that came in and interviewed my little monkey.

http://www.burbanklead​er.com …orts/blr-gymnastics05.txt (external link)
:lol::lol::lol:

sponsored links

114,935 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.