Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Nov 2007 (Friday) 09:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading to 40D… Would you add anything?

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 30, 2007 09:34 |  #1

Would you add anything to this list? (btw, already have tripod, monopod, flashes (3), bag + backpack, studio lighting…) Just accessories for the camera please. Will be ordering this weekend :)

Canon EOS 40D 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Canon BP511A 1390mAh Lithium Ion Battery Pack
Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
Canon ACK-E2 AC Adapter
Opteka Remote Release Cord for Canon
Canon E1 - Hand strap

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Telephoto Lens
Canon ET65III Lens Hood

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens
Canon EW-83J Lens Hood

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 30, 2007 09:34 |  #2

Memory cards...depending how much you have already. Files are gonna be bigger.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 30, 2007 09:37 |  #3

cdifoto wrote in post #4413015 (external link)
Memory cards...depending how much you have already. Files are gonna be bigger.

Good point... adding a CF card.

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 30, 2007 09:44 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

MaxxuM wrote in post #4413009 (external link)
Would you add anything to this list? (btw, already have tripod, monopod, flashes (3), bag + backpack, studio lighting…) Just accessories for the camera please. Will be ordering this weekend :)

Canon EOS 40D 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Canon BP511A 1390mAh Lithium Ion Battery Pack
Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
Canon ACK-E2 AC Adapter
Opteka Remote Release Cord for Canon
Canon E1 - Hand strap

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Telephoto Lens
Canon ET65III Lens Hood

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens
Canon EW-83J Lens Hood

Skip Canon battery and buy one at SterlingTek.
They are better and cheaper than Canon’s.

Do you really need AC adapter?
These batteries last pretty long, you shouldn’t have problems with them in most cases.

Instead of corded remote release, I’d suggest one of those cheap wireless remotes that you can find on eBay.
They are handy and generally work well.

Just my $0.02 (Canadian :D).

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 30, 2007 09:46 |  #5

I dunno Hermeto, I think it's generally a good idea to have at least one OEM spare battery (in addition to the included). If you get more, then go for the SterlingTeks.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 30, 2007 09:49 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

cdifoto wrote in post #4413089 (external link)
I dunno Hermeto, I think it's generally a good idea to have at least one OEM spare battery (in addition to the included). If you get more, then go for the SterlingTeks.

You could be right, but I’ve never heard of anyone having problems with SterlingTek batteries.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 30, 2007 09:51 |  #7

Hermeto wrote in post #4413104 (external link)
You could be right, but I’ve never heard of anyone having problems with SterlingTek batteries.

I had a couple duds that I had to return for exchange. They're generally ok but I still figure play it safe. Same goes for the "Black Diamonds" that I bought for my 1D.

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 30, 2007 09:59 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

cdifoto wrote in post #4413116 (external link)
I had a couple duds that I had to return for exchange. They're generally ok but I still figure play it safe. Same goes for the "Black Diamonds" that I bought for my 1D.

Well, I must be cheap, but 50 bucks is pretty expensive for a battery. :)
2 batteries are not a must - if one of them goes down the drain, OP can shoot with one battery for a couple of days, until the replacement arrives.

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 30, 2007 10:09 |  #9

Hermeto wrote in post #4413078 (external link)
Skip Canon battery and buy one at SterlingTek.
They are better and cheaper than Canon’s.

Do you really need AC adapter?
These batteries last pretty long, you shouldn’t have problems with them in most cases.

Instead of corded remote release, I’d suggest one of those cheap wireless remotes that you can find on eBay.
They are handy and generally work well.

Just my $0.02 (Canadian :D).

I’m going to get another set of cheaper batteries too. I’ve always been told to keep identical batteries in electrical devices – I was guessing it would be the same for a camera. I currently have the battery that came with the XT and never have used it.

The AC power is for time-lapse photography as well as school/club portraits (I foresee having to keep my camera on most of the day – better to be safe than sorry).

Yea, I’ve been looking at those remotes. I have the Cactus remotes and am not very impressed with them – they work, but I have a lot of misfires despite changing all the frequencies and one will not work with the battery cover on.

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 30, 2007 10:34 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

MaxxuM wrote in post #4413216 (external link)
I’m going to get another set of cheaper batteries too. I’ve always been told to keep identical batteries in electrical devices – I was guessing it would be the same for a camera. I currently have the battery that came with the XT and never have used it.

The AC power is for time-lapse photography as well as school/club portraits (I foresee having to keep my camera on most of the day – better to be safe than sorry).

Yea, I’ve been looking at those remotes. I have the Cactus remotes and am not very impressed with them – they work, but I have a lot of misfires despite changing all the frequencies and one will not work with the battery cover on.

I got myself this one, just the other day..
Shipping is more expensive than the product.. :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca …eName=ADME:B:EO​IBSA:CA:12 (external link)

I don’t know how long it’s going to last, but for now – and I tested it thoroughly - it works perfectly.
I also have POTN wired remote, with the extension cord, which also work flawlessly, and it sits in the camera bag permanently, as you say, just in case..

Well, seems that you’ve worked out everything and that you got yourself a nice kit.
Congratulations and enjoy!

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 30, 2007 16:44 |  #11

Sounds good to me. Sounds like that plenty to get started with!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 30, 2007 16:57 |  #12

I too would question the AC adaptor. You're looking at several batteries and each one will give you 1000 shots or more. Being tethered might be a bit of a nuisance.

Mark.

braduardo
Goldmember
2,630 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 30, 2007 17:06 |  #13

Skip the BG until you feel the camera a bit. I had a grip with my 300D, and it felt great. The grip feels right on the XT and the 20D w/ grip is ok, but the grip just didn't feel right on my 40D

Personally, I'm hoping that someone releases a grip that feels a bit better and has an AF-ON button.

:rolleyes: ----Brad---- :rolleyes:
www.nybergstudio.com (external link)
40D: EF 17-40 f4 L ---- EF 70-200mm f4 L ---- EF 50mm f1.4 ---- EF 85mm f1.8

jemann
166 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 30, 2007 17:17 as a reply to  @ braduardo's post |  #14

If you're gonna use two batteries in a grip, it's probably a good idea for them to be the same capacity, whether they be both Canon or both Sterlingtek.

7D, 100-400L, 5D2, 17-40L, 24-105L

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,254 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 30, 2007 19:26 |  #15

I'd definitely want the grip you are getting. Probably because I've been using winders, motors, boosters and grips on my cameras for so long. I'd feel naked without one!

Another use for the AC kit, it's a very good idea to use one when doing sensor cleaning. Much safer than using a battery, to be as certain as possible the shutter or mirror won't close down onto whatever tools you are using to do the cleaning. I got an ACK with my 10D and have used it with my 30Ds since, and will probably still be using it with 40D and beyond when I get those.

You may want to consider one or the other of the accessory focus screens. I particularly like using a grid screen, it helps with composition and to keep horizon lines nice and level. Alternatively, there is the super precision screen to help with manual focusing (usable on lenses of f2.8 or larger aperture).

Yes, I got one extra Canon battery with my 10D, and more recently with my 30D. But all my spares are "no name" batteries bought off eBay. FIrst four were $24 total, including shipping. The last two were a total of $18, including shipping. $6 and $8 apiece sure is a better deal than the OEM. And, to rub salt in the wound, they are higher power rated than the Canon OEM batts (BP511 or 511A). No problems at all after using some of them for 2 years, knock on wood.

I might try to find a BG-E2, rather than an "N". Just out of spite. $40-50 more for a stupid little foam seal strip on the door seems a major rip-off to me. No other discernible difference between the original and the N, except for the price.

Are you getting a flash or have you already got one? (I never use the built-in "fire flies".) If so, I'd want some sort of L-bracket to mount it on and an Off Camera Shoe Cord. Here, again, the new OCSC3 is 50% more expensive than the OCSC2. Not sure it's worth it, but I haven't actually compared them side by side. From the descriptions, the new one has better "environmental sealing", which sounds to me like a molded in lip to cover the flash shoe on the camera a little better. Not sure that justifies the much higher price.

Happy to help you spend your money!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

2,587 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading to 40D… Would you add anything?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.