Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Nov 2007 (Thursday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Chruch Settings?

TitusvilleSurfer
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 29, 2007 21:07 |  #1

This is not exactly a wedding, but this was the closest category I could find. My cousin is getting baptized and I would like to get some quality shots of him in a poorly lit church. The lights will probably be dimmed during the ceremony. :/ I was wondering what camera setting are used in very low lit churches with a 40D, 24-70, and stock flash. Thank you.

Just to take a stab, I would assume AV mode with 2.8 aperture, 1600 or 3200 ISO, and whatever shutter speed I can get. What about some of the other settings or custom functions?

50D | G11 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 IS | 580exII

sponsored links
Tumeg
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 29, 2007 21:18 |  #2

I would say:
2.8 Aperture
800 ISO
1/80 - 1/150 Shutter Spead
Tungsten Light for White Balance

If this is still to dark, drop the shutter speed to as slow as it can go, with you still being able to hand hold still shots, if thats still to dark, I guess raise the ISO, but try avoiding pushing the ISO too high (too much noise)

EDIT: It is hard to say without knowing the exact situation (or seeing the lighting)

| Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 17-40MM F/4L | Canon 50MM F/1.4 | Canon 85MM F/1.8 | Canon 580EX II |

gdykstra
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2007

Nov 29, 2007 21:26 |  #3

TitusvilleSurfer wrote in post #4410645 (external link)
This is not exactly a wedding, but this was the closest category I could find. My cousin is getting baptized and I would like to get some quality shots of him in a poorly lit church. The lights will probably be dimmed during the ceremony. :/ I was wondering what camera setting are used in very low lit churches with a 40D, 24-70, and stock flash. Thank you.

Just to take a stab, I would assume AV mode with 2.8 aperture, 1600 or 3200 ISO, and whatever shutter speed I can get. What about some of the other settings or custom functions?

I would say your assumptions are right. It is too bad the 24-70 does not have IS, this is a situation where IS is of great help. You mentioned your flash, are you allowed to use a flash? If so I would try to obtain a flash unit, this would give you many more options (bounce, diffusion, etc.)

If you can go to the church before the ceremony and get a better understanding of the lighting conditions you could probably shoot in M. Either way I would definitely shoot in RAW which will give you the most options and ability for corrections. Good luck.

Model Mayhem (external link) | Website (external link) 5D Mark III|5D Mark II|TSE 17mm f/4.0 L|24-70L f/2.8|85L f/1.2 II|135L f/2.0|70-200mm f/2.8L IS II|400mm f/5.6L|100mm f/2.8 Macro|15mm f/2.8

TitusvilleSurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 29, 2007 21:29 |  #4

I understand the situation is hard to visualize, I do appreciate it though. Still very green around the ears with my camera, I'm trying to get a foundation I guess. Do you recommend any of the in camera noise reduction features (C.Fn II - 1,2)?

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 30, 2007 08:16 |  #5

I'm trying to get a foundation I guess.

Foundation:
Q & A: Dwight McCann (Event Photography)
Concert Photography Tips: A FAQ Perhaps
Anyone with Club/Nightlife photography questions?
Social Events Photographer - Sydney

Do you recommend any of the in camera noise reduction features (C.Fn II - 1,2)?

I wouldn't. The right exposure is more important.

Need an exposure crutch?

Excellent series on Noise, and what to do about it:
Ron Bigelow on Noise -- Part I (external link)

Noise: it is better to raise ISO than to underexpose

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 30, 2007 08:41 |  #6

Not necessarily ;)

Underexposing a shot by one stop at ISO 1600, will give you very similar results then ISO 3200, yet better possibilities for highlight recovery...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 30, 2007 10:50 |  #7

I am the non official church photographer for our church and enjoy taking baptisms a few times per month. In our church lighting isn't a problem so I normally shoot RAW, ISO 800, f4.0, and 1/80th with my 17-55 2.8 IS. I start out by shooting wide to get a shot of everybody on stage and then zoom in to around 40-50mm of the actual baptism. When done I normally make 8.5 X11's and hang them in the Narthax for 2 months at a time.

My advice to you would be to talk with the pastor and see if the lights could be left on to help you out. Sit in the front row bracing yourself and shoot RAW. Shoot manual and and use the lowest tv - I wouldn't go below 1/30 or 1/40 only if you had to. When the pastor is doing the actual baptism set the drive to high and get the 6.5 fps of it. Even if the pics are underexposed you can bring them back some in pp.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 30, 2007 11:57 |  #8

Go early. Meter around the area and get an idea of lighting requirement. I recently did a church photoshoot and was ok setting to M and ISO400 using the 17-40L @F4. Beautifully shot and sharp.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

TitusvilleSurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 30, 2007 20:52 |  #9

Thank you everyone for your input. Photos Guy, the links were greatly appreciated as well. I found the noise links very helpful. :D

sponsored links

1,049 views & 0 likes for this thread
Chruch Settings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.