Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Nov 2007 (Friday) 11:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with converting raw images to elements 4

amydoodle
551 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 30, 2007 11:53 |  #1

Ok, I know you guys can help me here.............as always! Anyway, I am just now attempting my hand at shooting raw, but what I'm having trouble with is getting my pictures to open up in Photoshop Elements 4. I know they have to be converted somehow, if someone can shed some light on how that's done, please.:D I do have the software that came with my 30d, the Digital Photo Professional and I'm sure this has to be used, but not exactly figuring it out. Thanks for any info you can send my way!
Amy

Canon 90D, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon 50 1.8II, Canon 70-300 IS, 430 EX, 2 AB800's

sponsored links
lostdoggy
King Duffus
4,787 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 30, 2007 12:03 |  #2

Wow its been along time since I used DPP. But, I sure some one here will guide you. Goodluck.

amydoodle
THREAD ­ STARTER
551 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 30, 2007 12:05 as a reply to  @ lostdoggy's post |  #3

Oh thanks...........yeh, hopefully someone can help. That's just all the software I have at the moment to work with.

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 30, 2007 12:10 |  #4

Download image to computer... should have a .CR2 extension.

Open DPP and point it to the folder containing your RAW images.

Do your adjustments in DPP then go to file menu and Convert and Save... choose your output type (.jpg or .tif) and other output options. Then those adjusted .jpgs or .tifs can be opened in Elements4.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 30, 2007 12:17 |  #5

You can also download the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in from the adobe website and work only with ACR and Elements. Personally, I prefer the color rendering of DPP vs. ACR but that is a personal choice. If you use ACR, when you open elements and then open a file that is a RAW file, the ACR will launch. You can then make your RAW adjustments and then either save or click open to finish working in Elements.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

rw2
Goldmember
4,201 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 30, 2007 12:23 |  #6

Go here to download. http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=3267 (external link)
Then you will not need to use DPP. They will open in elements.

If you're afraid of failure ... you'll never succeed!
Rob

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 30, 2007 12:55 |  #7

Actually the NEWEST version of ACR available for Elements 4 is 3.7:
http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=3584 (external link)

That said, I still think DPP is FAR better than Adobe Camera Raw in Elements. They've really crippled ACR for Elements users. Plus if you have any of those colorshifts in ACR like I do, its next to unusable in Elements. But hey, its a free download, may as well give it a try. Just be sure to follow Adobe's installation instructions closesly.

(ACR is more usable in CS3 and LR for me, becasue there you can at least set camera calibration presets.)

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 30, 2007 13:16 |  #8

davidcrebelxt wrote in post #4414175 (external link)
ACR is more usable in CS3 and LR for me, becasue there you can at least set camera calibration presets.

I agree 100%.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

amydoodle
THREAD ­ STARTER
551 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 30, 2007 13:22 as a reply to  @ islandboy's post |  #9

Oh great, thanks ya'll!! I'll definitely give these a try later this evening. Hopefully one day here I will be able to upgrade from elements 4.;) But again, all help appreciated!

sponsored links

1,140 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with converting raw images to elements 4
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.