Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 03 Dec 2007 (Monday) 12:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My First "real" Gig..baby inside...

jayak
218 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 03, 2007 12:08 |  #1

Here are some shots from my first "real" gig....they are quite compressed....
Anyway I was pleased...... I used the ABR and the EX 580II for these shots. Assitant holding ABR for most and 580 EXII as the trigger... I had never used the ABR yet other than around the house. This was also my first "2 light" go at photography...ANYWAY ENOUGH EXCUSES!!!!

Just thought I would share a few...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS 40D/ BG-E2 Vertical Battery Grip/ EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro/ EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM/ SanDisk eXtreme III 2.0 GB/ Velbon Neo Pod 6/ Speedlite 580EX II/ ABR800/ Vagabond II/ interfit stellar 300 (x2), interfit stellar 150 (x2), interfit infra red transmitter/etc.. SOLD ALL ITEMS .....

sponsored links
jayak
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 03, 2007 12:10 |  #2

some more...

oh yea....I went thinking I was just shooting the baby and then when I got there mom and g'ma wanted in on the action....the backdrop is a black silky thing we used push pins to stick in the wall.....I had no backdrop with me.... and it was quite small....:(

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS 40D/ BG-E2 Vertical Battery Grip/ EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro/ EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM/ SanDisk eXtreme III 2.0 GB/ Velbon Neo Pod 6/ Speedlite 580EX II/ ABR800/ Vagabond II/ interfit stellar 300 (x2), interfit stellar 150 (x2), interfit infra red transmitter/etc.. SOLD ALL ITEMS .....

jayak
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 03, 2007 12:12 as a reply to  @ jayak's post |  #3

more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

jayak
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 03, 2007 12:17 as a reply to  @ jayak's post |  #4

1 more....

some of the crops I am not nuts about.... I must admit I was a little shaken up with a bad case of nerves lol I have only been invovled in photography for 2 years... I am sure I will build some confidence.....those of you that know me know I am primarily a bug and flower guy....so posing is not my strong point..... oh yea I NEED a light/flash meter.... LOL

regards

HOSTED PHOTO

jayak
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 03, 2007 12:20 |  #5

Last comment.....these were shot in raw....set to portrait mode...WB on Flash... with the only thing being done, and only to some of them, a bit of a bump up or down on exposure and then compressed....

Rhinotherunt
Looking for a Rock
7,129 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 03, 2007 12:55 |  #6

Nice shots... some exposure adjustments could help...

Ryan McGill
My Gearhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=592450

jayak
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 03, 2007 13:06 |  #7

Thanks....
I am really new to this type of thing...
I think I could really work on the crop of the image and as you stated the exposure....
I think that with some practice in the next few days I will get the light more to my liking.... Flash is a tricky beast.... :)

My main goal though is the parents....if she and the g'ma are happy then it buys me another day to improve...

:)

Regards
jayak

NatsRoses
771 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 03, 2007 13:59 |  #8

Nice, but you need to get rid of the fold lines on your backdrop. It will help the photo a lot. The last photo is my favorite.

Nathalie
www.nathalierosephotog​raphy.com (external link)
5Dmrk4, 40D, 70-200 2.8L mkII, 24-70L f/2.8, 24-105L f/4, 50mm 1.4 85 f/1.8, Sigma EX 17-35 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di. 550EX flash, Gossen Luna-Pro digitalf

Clint
291 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 03, 2007 14:35 |  #9

I think I have said this a million times on this site, o.k maybe not a million but anyway ball the backdrops up in a ball so they will be wrinkled completely and pull the subject away from the backdrop about 4 feet.

A picture is something you draw, A photograph is something you create. ;)

TSEE
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 03, 2007 14:43 |  #10

Lighting isn't too bad, the subjects are lit, no shadows or light fall off.
THe BG is probably the biggest issue right now, I'd like to see you increase the contrast in the BG a bit more in #1 to darken it some more, that will make a more pleasing shot I think, those wrinkles are distracting (I know I've been there myself and I hated it!).
I think the shot with grandma is pretty cute, both of them are smiling and are content from the looks of it. ;)
I really like the lighting and angle of #4 (second individual baby shot). Try to stay away from cushiony materials when shooting baby's they'll sink in and get lost. Made that mistake myself.
The last two of mom and baby are cute too. I'd work a bit on the conversion, make it more B&W than grey scaled...play with levels right and left sliders and see what you get. I'd show ya what I'd do but you don't have Image Editing turned on.
Keep it up!

-Sue (TSEE)
My gear list finally got too long to list under my sig.
"All of us have photographic memory, some of us just don't have film."
"I hate cameras. They are so much more sure than I am about everything."

jayak
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 03, 2007 15:55 |  #11

I need to get a backdrop.....I am just thankful that they had that otherwise you would be looking at white walls.....what would you all do in the case of tiny rooms in a college apartment??? I had my back to the wall and had them about 3ish feet from the "backdrop" .... PS It was storming out..

I will try wadding the whole backdrop up for the next time THANKS for that tip!

Yes the baby sank in everything I sat him on..... :( he is still too little to sit up...this was a new challenge for me...

Where are the levels sliders....I do not have Photoshop.... I use canons software...I know I know :P..... but is there a better way in my software to do BW or no???

thanks!! everyone for the great ideas and comments this helps a lot...

I love this site :)

JSimonian
Goldmember
1,091 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 03, 2007 18:13 |  #12

jayak wrote in post #4431972 (external link)
Last comment.....these were shot in raw....set to portrait mode...WB on Flash... with the only thing being done, and only to some of them, a bit of a bump up or down on exposure and then compressed....

It's my understanding that once you set the camera to raw, then the picture styles (potrait, etc.) won't apply. If shooting in raw + jpeg, the picture style will only apply to the jpeg image. If someone here knows differently, then please let me know!

jayak
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 03, 2007 19:12 |  #13

I thought this as well.... BUT when shooting in raw I can set it to say black and white...and then the raw image comes out in B&W....if you use the canon software provided with the 40D you can then change it to any setting...back to color, portrait, landscape, etc.....just like changing WB.... so you are not stuck with just one picture style.... basically the same way you can play with the WB you can play with picture styles....

regards

sponsored links

1,531 views & 0 likes for this thread
My First "real" Gig..baby inside...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.